close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Types of Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Mr. PC, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

What is your favorite type?

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'm a dual-sporter, always have been. I have never owned any other type of bike except for as a child when I had a pure dirt bike.

That said, those descriptions of "types" seem to be written by a 5th grader.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, any of these bikes will kill you just as quick as you can blink your eyes if you don't know how to handle them. Sport bikes tend to be more twitchy because of their nature but they are no more of a killer than the rest of the bikes.

Nowadays there is a line of bike that blurs the line between a pure sport bike and a standard. These are the bikes that kind of look like a standard (i.e. little or no plastic), have handle bars like a standard, but they are pure sport in handling, braking and engine departments. The examples are the Aprilia Tuono, the top-of-the-line Ducati Monster S4R and S4RS, the soon coming KTM Super Duke, and the Triumph Speed Triple.

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I like naked sporty bikes and the middle weight crusiers. I could go for a Suzi SV1K and either a Honda Spirit 750 or Suzi M50. That's what I like.

I don't care what you ride, but sometimes a guy 2-up on a Goldwing pulling a trailer makes me think "Just buy a freaking car, you just spent $40K!!":supergrin:

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Try riding a sport bike across the country, including a couple 16-20 hour days. I have also seen firsthand a fully loaded Gold Wing pulling a trailer doing 115 and it still had a bit left. Then there was the LAPD motor officer on his personal Gold Wing passing kids on sport bikes on the Angeles Crest, because he had the skill they didn't, even if he was on an "old man bike".

6. GlockTom

GlockTom Old Soul

7. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

A standard is the most versatile, but they are few and far between these days. A Triumph Bonneville would be a nice choice. Looks cooler than my '03 CB750, I have to admit.

But every time I see a ST1300, I find myself thinking I sure could use one of those, even if it is a little on the heavy side.

I'm not up for the trailer thing, but one of my buddies towed one to Mid-Ohio behind his Electra Glide, and it seemed to pull just fine at 75-80mph. I gave him a hard time for getting old, but it was pretty sweet having an awning, cooler, real chairs and a camp stove for a change. Definately different than the backpacking on wheels that I normally do on a motorcycle.

8. Dandapani

Dandapani

Not all DS have "big knobby tires".

9. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

Sport bike all the way.

10. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

i have a harley softail and it does more than look cool LOL
    but my favorite is the tour crusier.. my next bike will be a harley ultra or electra glide, very soon i hope, next month or so

11. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Ditto...I'll be buying a new Electra Glide in about 6 weeks or so. Maybe sooner, if I can con(vince) my wife.

12. Twisted10

Twisted10

Sportbike. I will own a cruiser eventually, I want to be able to ride out west someday and take the g/f w/ me... And Im getting really tired of riding my sportbike on the street, I get bored and push the limits at times...

13. freakshow10mm

The ST1300 and Yam 1300 sport tourers do look sexy. If I was looking for a bike to put some serious vacationing miles on, that is what I would be looking for. I like your choice.

14. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

All of them. While I prefer a cruiser or touring bike (currently own a Harley Electra Glide Standard), I would take any bike! My next bike (assuming my paid off car stays with me) is either going to be a Buell Lightning/Firebolt, a Ducati (at least a 749), an Aprilia (RSV or Tuono), or I really liked the BMW Boxer Cup Replica (I think that's what it was).

It's kindof funny, but alot of Harley riders I know either started on something different, or continue to have more than one type of bike. Several still own sportbikes in addition to their cruiser/tourers. It's just too hard to only like one type of bike if you ask me! :)

15. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

Go rigid or go home... But my opinion should change within the next five-ten years :supergrin:

16. freakshow10mm

True that, Cryptoboy. My dad started on a Honda Sabre V45 and now has a late 70's MG bagger, Virago 1100 with sidecar, two Honda scooters (elite and that bigger one, oh, the helix or something), a Honda Ascot, a 95 Sporty 1200, and about 5 more.

I'd also like to get a Buell to zip around on. Just to be different. For the most part, all the window shopping in the world leads me right back to Suzuki. I have an 81 GS450 as my first bike and either of my choices for my first "real" bike are Suzukis, either a SV1K or an M50.