Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the knife thread but just in case does anyone know what is the legal length, to carry, for a hunting knife in TX? Specifically I am looking at the Glock 6.5in Knife. All responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For simple carrying purposes, 5.5" is the length limit under Penal Code 46.02.

However, there are several exceptions that I could see being applicable to a hunting knife:

PC46.15(b)Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2)is travelling;
(3)is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other
sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is
conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's
residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

Looks like you're fine to carry a hunting knife if you're doing exactly that.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the very informative response. I broke out the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and ready your references. I did not know that we in there. I am going to sit down and read it. I am used to the normal everyday laws concerning carrying but I think I should be somewhat aware of all the laws.

·
Señor Member
7,908 Posts
Also, remember that TX measures knifes from the top of hilt/handle, not from bottom of sharpened edge.

As long as you are "hunting," you shouldn't have a problem. Also, your car is now the same as your home, in terms of what you can have - but I won't guarantee that trumps city ordinances.

·
Señor Member
7,908 Posts
dglockster; I don't have the time to look it up, but I believe case-law lead to TX interpreting "blade length" as being intended to mean "stabbing depth," which leads to the difference in the way Texas measures blade length. If you can find it, that would be an important addition to your collection of information.

·
Aggie Glocker
303 Posts
If I remember correctly, San Antonio has draconian knife laws.
Not to get too off-topic, but the San Antonio ban peaked my interest. I did a quick search and found this thread and Municipal Code on:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=256635

The municipal code is:

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
(3) Traveling;
(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization. (Code 1959, § 26-28.1)
Wow, so any knife that locks open? That includes a lot of knives. I wonder if all visitors to Fiesta Texas, Alamo, Sea World, Rive Walk, etc would be exempt by the "traveling" clause?

Ryan

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,500 Posts
Wow, so any knife that locks open? That includes a lot of knives. I wonder if all visitors to Fiesta Texas, Alamo, Sea World, Rive Walk, etc would be exempt by the "traveling" clause?

Ryan
I don't think they would be exempt. If they have stopped and are visiting the park, they have, as the CB-ers used to say, "destinated."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts