TX Drivers Rant

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DonD, Jun 9, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD

Wife and I lived in the Albuquerque, NM area for 24 yrs, second retirement, didn't want to spend the rest of my life there, moved to central TX.

I thought ABQ drivers were the pits. Wow, was I wrong, NM drivers are saintly by comparison and we've been back visiting friends and family several times and the viewpoint hasn't changed.

• Toxic mix of aggressive and timid drivers. 10-15 over or more in the left lane on interstates (fine with me) 10-15 below the limit in the right hand lane. The slowpokes like their 50-75 yd interval between them and the car ahead. Rolling roadblock
    • Virtually all relatively new cars come with cruise control. They simply don't use it so on a two lane road, their speed changes +/- 10mph almost always below the limit.
    • Physics 101 failures, they seemingly can't comprehend that when they go uphill, they need to give the car more gas.
    • When slight reductions in speed are needed, just take your foot off the gas bonehead. No, instant brake light illumination, no reduction in speed and everyone behind them is on the brakes.
    • Woe to you if you pull out to pass a slowpoke in the left lane, go above the speed limit in the pass but slower than some bubba in his pickup, they "punish" you by riding your bumper at 75 or more.
    Like most annoying things, this won't get better. Don

varget, Deanster, Westexas and 2 others like this.
  2. Bish1309

Bish1309

I like to check my brake lights with tailgaters. They "nod" every time. :car:

Westexas and ZekerMan like this.

3. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Sounds like any city USA really. Yes very frustrating on a daily basis. People are never more selfish then when behind the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Downshifting a gear gets their attention most every time.

5. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

I see cars all the time speeding up beside me and I know their plan is to get past me so they can stop and make a left turn. When I see this attempt I speed up and let them make their turn behind me. Trucker 3573 is right.

1bigK likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

BINGO, every time the group of cars goes uphill, even with the slightest incline...they COAST to the top, where their speed has dropped to about 40 in a 65 zone, then speed downhill at 80.

This is exactly why is should be legal to shoot out their tires.

IDIOTS don't even belong on the road.

Westexas, DonD and FullClip like this.
  7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Yah - not using cruise used to get to me too. I'd be on my weekly commute and get behind someone going a little slower than me (freeway) so I'd pull out to pass them. Sometimes they'd speed up so I'd pull in behind them. Rinse and repeat. Finally I'd get by them, reset my cruise where I wanted it and they'd come roaring by me - giving me a dirty look! They just didn't get it. I have an old 3/4T Chevy 4x4 with only 35K miles on it. I don't use it much - snowplowing and a trip or two to Canada each summer so I don't want to put cruise on it. I can hardly drive without it.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

...happens to me all the time, in the right lane, while there's no one behind me for a mile. They just HAVE to get in front and cut you off, to shave that 3-seconds off their drive time.

9. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I got a bit irritated today, 2 lane rd., that merges into one, left into right. I am in left, ahead of vehicle in right lane. obviously, natural traffic flow dictates I will slide over here in a few hundred feet, as I was already ahead of him. but no, I hear him motor up to try to fly past me but at this point it's basically merge or slam on brakes, endangering those behind me, to let jerkoff fly past me to sit at a red light one car length ahead of me. I began to get over, not wanting to be rear ended by those behind me, and this guy continued to keep at it, basically a foot away from me, with the nose of his vehicle at about the midway mark on mine, trying to force me into not getting into the lane. why people act like this is beyond me. as some have said, youll never see a bigger display of entitlement than behind the wheel.

mike from st pe and redneck ron like this.
  10. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

this behavior grinds me gears too.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

I just laaaay on the horn for a full 20-sec burst or so when encountering a particularly moronic driver.

Generally gets them to wake the F-up ... Haven't been shot at yet, but I did sorta get 'da look' and a gun-finger from some big, skin-headed galut in a black Dodge Ram who, head down, kept on texting for like 40-secs after the stoplight had turned green.

Burned rubber going around him, horn a-blarin', and gave him the obligatory return flippage.

Frickin' jerks. :upeyes:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

there is something to be said about the horn... I cannot tell you how often - during day at least - I can be running them fancy blue lights and a siren behind someone and they are just off in LALA land.... liberal use of the air horn is usually the only thing to get their attention. people are tuned in to hear horns, but 100% oblivious of their surroundings, it is scary.

ranger1968 and agtman like this.
  13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

PIT maneuvers

astepup likes this.
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Too many people get so worked up about other drivers. More then once hauling others. “How come you are so calm when another driver dies XYZ?” So I finally said “you passed me, hit your brakes to stop because you can’t turn left due to traffic. So I am stopped as I can’t go around you. You mean person.... Better?” She just laughed.
    I can drive for 2 hrs on interstate with cruise on. A car, often pickup will pass me, then slow down 5+ mph below what I was driving for hours. I have passed, had the idiot pass me back repeatedly. Without me touching cruise control. Wife and I are laughing, other driver looks headed for stroke.
    Try to run me off road, force me to stop remote spot... you have more attention then is good.

FullClip likes this.
  15. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Damn, some of guys have some anger issues...

16. OXMYX

OXMYX

Austin is full of California. You moved to the wrong place.

17. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

Central TX? Try Houston. The 610 will really piss you off.

Westexas likes this.
  18. Westexas

Westexas

You haven’t seen anything yet. Just wait until the first ice storm.

I had a friend who would take chair and a six pack of beer and sit and watch the accidents
    whenever an ice storm hit. Cheap entertainment.

newglocker10mm and DonD like this.
  19. Westexas

Westexas

A few decades ago tailgating was getting ridiculous out where I lived.

I took my Thompson and put it in the gun rack. I was amazed at how fast the tailgating stopped.

Even more surprising was that I was never pulled over by the police for it.

mike from st pe, Bish1309 and Flags like this.
  20. DonD

DonD

We've been in our new home for nearly 9 yrs. In the first 3 years, we probably had 3 nasty ice storms. INCREDIBLY slippery. The surface was a coat of ice hemispheres. All season tires are helpless in this stuff. You'd need 4WD and studded snow tires to drive safely with that.

Speaking of that, the last 9 yrs in ABQ area, we lived in the east mountains and got a lot of snow.

Want to guess what vehicles ended up in the ditches on I40 which was 700 yds away? 4WD SUVs mostly, thought 4WD meant they didn't have to drive sensibly. Hey 4X0 traction is still 0. Don

Edited to change I10 to I40. Have I10 on the brain from living in TX

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Westexas and varget like this.