Two weekends in Benelux

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, May 28, 2007.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Weather was mostly misearable, but the sites and people made up for it. A few thumbnails here, more on that page.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Bearded dogs with horns? :supergrin:

Orchids! :faint:

I love the red in the Corridor! :)

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

They were the most dog-like creatures I managed to photograph. :)

Keukenhof is a huge flower garden with multiple pavilions, including one devoted to orchids - hundreds of them. If you like flowers, Keukenhof is a dangerous place to visit. ;)

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

There used to be a greenhouse around an hour and a half from me that does orchids. They had some of the $500 each guys :shocked: I had forgotten about it! I need to see if I can find info and visit there this summer :)

Oh, and are you trying to get rid of me again? :rofl:

Goats are cool critters. I would love to have a gray bearded billy goat with blue eyes :supergrin:

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I am not into flowers (okay, so I am a stereotypical guy ;)), but I must admit that I enjoyed my visit to the Keukenhof gardens.

Aha. I've been thinking of one to take care of my lawn mowing. :supergrin:

One of the more interesting places for me in the Netherlands was the Airborne Museum dedicated to the Market Garden Operation ("A Bridge too Far"). Seeing people of the WW II generation looking through pictures and names of participants of that operation and realizing that in a matter of several years most of them will be gone, and that last thread, the last connection will be gone was a strange sensation. You know when you're a child and you read a fairly tale, it all seems so real, but then you finish, and you do not open the book for many years, and when you do, it's just a fairy tale? That was the feeling, that I was watching a transformation of flesh and blood into dusty history books that no one will really feel anymore.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I really, really want to get to Arlington this summer/fall and do some shots in the middle of the cemetery. So much is symbolized by all those crosses and the occasional star (for lack of a better word)... I can't put it into words. But there is just so much THERE. Very similar to what you are saying.

My cousin decided to raise goats a few years ago. Her new hobby quickly became enlarging the fence on a weekly basis to keep the goats enough grass to eat :rofl: