close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two problems reloading 9mm tonight

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by emt1581, Mar 8, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Today it was beautiful out!! My wife had a ton of work to catch up on so I set up a table and poured some bullets!

Well about an hour ago I took 4 bullets out, lubed and sized them, then picked out cases.

Now here is what I did step by step, then I'll share what problems I noticed...

First off I deprimed the cases, cleaned the primer pockets out and primed them. Then I widened the case mouths, then I sized them and used the chamfer (sp?) to take the burrs off, then I poured the powder in, and finally I seated the bullet.

I have the RCBS carbide 3-die set btw.

Now here are the two problems.

1) The bullet didn't seat properly.

First off, I had to trial/error the OAL. What would happen is I put the bullet in the case mouth, pulled the lever, and screw the plug down 1/4 turn. It took maybe 4 or 5 tries but I got it right, or so I thought. The first time I kept moving the plug and the OAL stayed the same, then all of a sudden the bullet was seated 95% down into the case...so I chucked that one. But the next round and the one after ended up the right OAL but I actually squeezed the round from bullet to primer ever so slightly and the bullet moved down into place like a Tylenol lid snapping closed. But the bullet freely turned and was able to move out of the case about a millimeter or two.

So in the end, the round had the right OAL but the bullet was NOT being held in place by the case. I'm guessing I have not been crimping or sizing right but I have no clue where to start so some help would be great!!

Oh also, the rounds went into my Glock just fine. Cycled fine, ejected fine, etc.

2) For s**** and giggles I figured I'd fire off one of the primed empty cases. So I loaded it, pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger. Click. I tried it again, click... I looked in the chamber and the primer was unstruck. Turns out the case was actually stuck. I had to tap it out.

Now I'm not nearly worried about problem number 2 as I am problem number 1, but still both concern me.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. chris in va

chris in va

Huh. I don't ever chamfer a 9mm case. So you flare the case mouth FIRST before sizing? I think that's backwards.

Here's my Lee loading deal...

Wash brass, dry in oven and deprime. Die also sizes at the same time.

Switch to flaring die, drop powder into the funnel. Flare is set so the bullet will *just* seat at the very top by hand, no more. Set on tray.

Screw in seating/crimp die. Place bullet on the case mouth, slowly pull lever down until I have the OAL set up, then back off the seating function. Main body of die gets screwed in or out according to how much crimp I want (if any).

Sometimes I run it through my FCD, mostly not.

Does that help?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I thought the trimming after widening was backwards to, however, the trimmer wouldn't fit into the cases all the way so I figured I had it backwards then.

So what you're saying is that you screw the seating plug all the way in and just don't crank down on the lever all the way?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. badr1

badr1

My reloading timeline is as follows:
    1) Fire all loaded rounds
    2)pick up spent casings and place in bucket
    3)drive to wal-mart
    4)buy more loaded rounds
    5)refuse to let greeter see my reciept for purchased rounds
    6)reload magazines
    7)repeat steps 1-2 but for step 3 i have to drive to kmart because now I'm banned from wal-mart!

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Although that reply wasn't helpful in the least I have always wondered what they would do if they asked to see my receipt and I refused to show it to them? I mean will the old guy hop on a jazzi chair and chase me down? Do they contact security, find my face, and put it on a "do not allow in the store" paper (and distribute it throughout the US)? Seems like they are just looking to throw some fat around when they do it... :dunno:

-Emt1581

6. badr1

badr1

sorry i can only help via humor. I have never reloaded a round in my life it's never seemed economical to me given the time spent learning/doing jmho though i know a TON of guys that do it and swear by it just not my thing.

7. badr1

badr1

P.S. I'm an EMT in ohio so just throwing some jokes @ a brother :cool:

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Good to meetcha! :wavey:

Just curious but how in the hell did you find this thread if you have zero interest in reloading?

-Emt1581

9. Sofa King

Sofa King

First of all, count yourself lucky if you can even find ammo at Wal-Mart.

To 1581, you are doing it backwards. If you flare and then size the case you just removed the flare. And why are you deburring 9 mm? If you don't trim the case (and I don't trim handgun brass ever) then you can omit that step. Here are RCBS instructions I downloaded from their site: http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/ReloadingDieInstructions.pdf

Once the bullet is in the case it should not move or turn. If it does you need to add more crimp. I add very little crimp to my loads. The case tension between the bullet and the case has worked for me. Do one round and check OAL and fit in barrel or case gauge.As for the FCD, I see no need for it if your methods are correct.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

As far as the crimp goes, I still don't understand how that is done. I'm also not sure WHY the bullet was loose in the case yet secured from just coming out?

Thanks for the link!

-Emt1581

11. sig357fan

sig357fan

Emt1581,

I'd say that you have the stem of your bullet seating/crimping die turned in too much.

as you are adjusting the bullet seating depth, are you turning the die into the press or turning the stem into the die?

turning the stem into the die body adjusts your bullet depth, turning your die body into the press adjusts both the bullet depth and the crimp.

use the stem turned into the die to get your bullet seating then back it off and turn the die body into the press to get your crimp, once the crimp is set on a case with a correctly seated bullet, adjust the stem to make contact with the bullet

sig357fan

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Ok, I'll give that a try.

Typically what I do is screw the die in until it meets the case holder. The seating plug was always a guessing/trial&error game for me. Your way should be MUCH easier.

I still don't understand the process of crimping or what inside the die actually crimps the case...but if what you're saying works, that's good enough for me.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

[​IMG]

14. badr1

badr1

It was on the home page i just click the links cause i'm bored. lol BTW post something quick you will have 20k posts!!!:wow: (and i thought i was bored)

15. dudel

dudel

There are so many errors, I just don't know where to start.

Read a book on reloading, then follow the instructions.

16. badr1

badr1

BTW I'm interested in reloading just too lazy and busy all @ the same time....well that and with my impatience and ADD i would end up filling the cases full of powder and killing myself and 3-9 bystanders :whistling:

17. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Yup. Reminds of this cartoon...

[​IMG]

18. jbrown13

jbrown13

If what you are saying is that the trimmer pilot would not enter the case mouth, it is possible you had the wrong size pilot or the pilot needs to be slightly reduced in diameter to fit all brass. My 9mm pilot would not fit into all the brass after sizing (R-P was the worst), so I chucked it in my drill motor and reduced its diameter with my Dremel. It now goes into all brass when trimming. YES, I trim (after resizing), chamfer, and debur all 9mm brass once, when I first obtain it, and then never again.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Like dudel, I think you are free wheeling here w/ little to no research into reloading.
    #1, are you sure you are sizing the case?
    #2, you said you are sizing the lead bullet, what size?
    #3, how much are you belling the case mouth?
    #4, you can not crimp enough to hold the bullet in palce. This is done w/ proper sizing & expander button size (neck tension). Are you using the correct dies (some try to reload 9mm w/ 380 or 9x18M dies)?
    Following the manuf directions for setting up your dies. You are doing something terribley worng to get a loaded round that does not hold the bullet. Either not sizing, bullet too small or expander too large.

20. edrobert

edrobert

And this my friends is why one should neve shoot anyone elses reloads! Seriously though there seems to be a big disconnect with the whole reloading thing taking place here. I highly suggest getting a couple of reloading guides and reading them front to back.