GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No on line lesions available?
She has been taking piano lessons most of her life, is she that bad a student? Or does she just like taking lesions?:horsey:
Truth be told, I was never impressed with her piano talent but she likes taking lessons and could afford it.

After she found her most recent piano teacher, she suddenly became much better. That's why I would like to stick with Bill if we can.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would try to find a teacher that is closer , maybe a talented high schooler . I know if you are in a rural area that can be difficult .

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your point, Mr Post Police?
Oh hell, I blocked him years ago. I had to open his comment to see what you were talking about. LOL

The piano teacher just texted us saying what a pleasure it was to teach my wife. I hope he is computer literate enough that they can continue with lessons "on line." I texted him back suggesting that they do that.

If they go on-line I will not need to worry about him teaching her something besides the piano, as some have suggested. LOL :devildance:

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,071 Posts
Truth be told, I was never impressed with her piano talent but she likes taking lessons and could afford it.

After she found her most recent piano teacher, she suddenly became much better. That's why I would like to stick with Bill if we can.
Find her some young hot stud piano teacher and I bet she really improves:cheers:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If the old dude is still willing to teach your beloved and isn't unable due to health issues, why not hire a high school student to do the 100 mile round trip weekly? It's a part time not McDonald's job. That should work. Not much different than pizza delivery.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Getting old with that many stairs in a house is going to be tough.
I fear you are right about that. I'm already old (81) and have slipped on those stairs once. I did not get seriously hurt. I landed on my butt and broke a toe nail total off so it was bleeding. There is another long set of stairs that lead to a lower floor under the room in OP photo. I have some money set aside to replace the other set of winding stairs and an upstairs closet with an elevator that goes between all three floors. I had a young friend of only 66 years old that tumbled down the stairs at his house, hit his head and died. Stairs are dangerous!

I have big feet, size 12.5, that over hang those steps. I need to find a good carpenter to install that elevator for me. My wife has tiny feet that fit on the stairs but I worry about her falling.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,199 Posts
Going from driving out for weekly lessons to almost having 6 accidents in one trip sounds a bit extreme. Alzheimers is usually slower-moving than that, if that’s what you’re getting at.

Sounds almost more like a vision problem; you sure he didn’t just forget his glasses or something?
Or was having a stroke.

·
USN Retired
7,542 Posts
Prayers for you all...all anyone of us can ask for; is to live out our days and hopefully die at home.
My awesome wife, died at home, in my arms, but WAY too early, at 54.
I hate the "C' word!

·
Don't Jump!
4,251 Posts
I fear you are right about that. I'm already old (81) and have slipped on those stairs once. I did not get seriously hurt. I landed on my butt and broke a toe nail total off so it was bleeding. There is another long set of stairs that lead to a lower floor under the room in OP photo. I have some money set aside to replace the other set of winding stairs and an upstairs closet with an elevator that goes between all three floors. I had a young friend of only 66 years old that tumbled down the stairs at his house, hit his head and died. Stairs are dangerous!

I have big feet, size 12.5, that over hang those steps. I need to find a good carpenter to install that elevator for me. My wife has tiny feet that fit on the stairs but I worry about her falling.
How long does it take to install an elevator? It's probably one of those things that should be done before you need it.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How long does it take to install an elevator? It's probably one of those things that should be done before you need it.
I agree. It's going to be a big job. It involves completely removing the stairs going into the lowest level of the house and removing a closest on the uppermost floor. Then we could make the elevator shaft going between all three floors. We would still have alternate access to the lower floor but we would need to leave to house and go outside to use alternate entrance doors if the elevator stopped working. That's unlikely because elevators require battery backup and I already have a whole house generator that kicks on six seconds after a power failure. I would also need to cut a new door into the wall where the elevator would open onto the lowest floor. We could replace part of winding staircase with a new closet, to make up for the closet we would lose.

Elevators take up much less space than winding staircases. As you can see in the photo in the OP I have have very high ceilings. this is also true on the lowest floor. This results in the need for winding staircases that take up a lot of room and dangerous steep stairs. I worry about my friends and myself on my stairs.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,379 Posts
Remember, codes require a telephone in an elevator, even for a home. Here in Houston, it has to be a landline.

I’m going to get one of those chair things that rides you up the stairs. No phone needed. Battery backup included.

One of my old friends had one years ago. It was both fun and safe.

As far out as you live, I wouldn’t want to have to wait for first responders to extract me from an elevator that was stuck.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was going to suggest the same thing. You said that his lessons are a bargain, anyway. Judging by the pictures of your house, I would guess a little added expense wouldn't break the bank. If you don't want to drive him, perhaps you could pay for him to use Uber.
Uber, I had not thought of that! Also there is a bus that that might run between towns near us. I need to learn the bus route. It might work? I doubt the piano instructor would be willing to take a bus. He often told me that he enjoyed the drive into the country and visiting my house. I need to find out his mental condition. He left his metronome at my house, I finally got his address. I'm thinking of driving to his house with the pretense of returning his metronome, then evaluating his mental acuity. I could offer to help set him up with Skype or Zoom like program so he could continue to my wife (and others). Heck, I could hire a nerd kid to do that, as long as he can adjust to the change.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,754 Posts
I was afraid to open this post ... 'cause I thought it might be another senseless double piano murder as is so rampant in large cities nowadays.

I just didn't want to see the busted wood, strings and ivory keys from a Steinway or a Kawaii Grand..... never again I say!

Oh the humanity of it all!

BTW ... even YoYo Ma still takes lessons.

EDIT - very late, but my post needs it just the same..... sorry if I came off as shallow or insensitive .....

I'm sure that as we age, some things just cease functioning as well as they did at one time. I can think of numerous things I don't do with great aplomb any more too. They shall not be discussed here.....

I tend to believe that your wife likes the lessons so much because it becomes HER TIME for attention by a stranger, well ---- who really isn't a stranger, but is someone outside her normal circle of --- <ahem> --- you.

I'm rambling here...... just a bit, methinks.

You are her only attraction especially so in this virus-thingy and if I know what it means: I too am the center of my wife's attention and I can see that sometimes it isn't enough.

Women just yearn for things we guys don't always understand. I know that my wife uses a lot of Zoom time and lots of phone calls --- when she really should be paying ME more attention (just kidding!).....

It's tough getting old - I'm 75 almost - and I can say that I, even though a loner-type - always like a little personal 1-on-1 either mentally, with my physical therapist (ouch!) --- or by a little connubial slap-n-tickle.

So - I apologize for my sarcasm.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Remember, codes require a telephone in an elevator, even for a home. Here in Houston, it has to be a landline.

I’m going to get one of those chair things that rides you up the stairs. No phone needed. Battery backup included.

One of my old friends had one years ago. It was both fun and safe.

As far out as you live, I wouldn’t want to have to wait for first responders to extract me from an elevator that was stuck.
Landline! My landline has so much noise on I that I quit using it!

I'm sure one of those chair lift things would be a practical solution. It's an emotional thing with me. A chair lift would be a visible reminder of my own limitations, while an elevator would be cool. I will need to looking the local laws requiring use of my landline in an elevator. The only people that call my landline number are the people who want to sell me an extended warranty on my car. LOL

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My awesome wife, died at home, in my arms, but WAY too early, at 54.
I hate the "C' word!
Been there done that. I'm sorry for your loss. I wish we could all burn out like incandescent light bulbs (poof!) when our time comes. Sadly, it seldom works that way.

Reactions: pizza_pablo

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Good news!!!

I just managed to reach Bill the piano teacher on the phone. He tells me that he is dizzy and uses a cane. He was glad to hear from me. I told him my idea about having a nerd set him up so he can use his wife's computer to give my wife lessons over the Internet. He said he is going to his doctor today and will ask him about that. He admitted that he is not computer literate but would be willing to try.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I found someone who is already giving piano lessons and shows how he does it:
https://hughsung.com/pianos-blog/how-to-teach-online-piano-lessons

I fear that will be too complex for both my wife and her teacher. Also it looks like it could become expensive.

Edit:
It looks like equipment needed might be affordable. I'm afraid the learning curve might more than most people would be willing/able to contend with.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts