GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the good news. Here is a photograph I took today of our "Great room." You can see both the pianos in this photo.

2Pianos.jpg

Now for the sad news: My wife has been taking piano lessons most of her life. Recently she found a piano teacher who drove to our house and gave her lessons. He was a retired HS music teach and a very good piano teach and I thought that her playing vastly improved under his tutelage. He charged her $50 for each weekly lesson. I thought it was a bargain. He said he enjoyed the beautiful drive to the country and liked to visit our house and enjoyed playing her piano.

Today he came to the house. I was surprised to see him. I told him I'm sorry but my wife is not here. I invited him in and showed him the piano that we rescued from her old house. He played a little bit on both pianos and informed me that my wife's old piano needed to be tuned. As he spoke his thoughts seemed to come to him very slowly. I gave him a glass of water and he continued to speak but seemed to losing his train of thought as he spoke. I thought to myself it's remarkable how he can retain his piano teaching skills but his mind seems to slipping. I explained to him that I had to leave and he left my house.

Latter he called me and informed me that almost had six automobile accidents on the return to his home. He told me that he had three near accidents on the way to my house. He decided that it's time to quit driving and will no longer be able to give my wife lessons.:crying:

He is one year younger than I. :fred: :dunno: I have worked hard to get my house just way I like it. I hope that I don't lose my marbles and need move into an elder care facility in my declining years.

Right now things are going so well for us! The doctors have arrested my cancer. My wife is grateful for the support, guidance and help I gave regarding the sale of her prior home. We are both happy delighted with our life.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I thought you were gonna say the piano “teacher” showed up expecting to “teach” your wife a few things and unexpectedly found you at home.

·
Pinky Out
58,509 Posts
OP,
Your threads do seem a bit redundant lately...

:whistling:

EC20F357-3D72-43BD-A515-EE5A517FB4BA.jpeg

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any chance you can drive your wife to his house for lessons?
Maybe, or she could drive herself. The piano teacher once told me his wife was once a beauty contest state winner. Now she is old and fat and does not want anyone to see her.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,036 Posts
Dave, one of the worst situations we can find ourselves in is having outlived our usefulness. I think you're a long way from that.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Is there any chance you can drive your wife to his house for lessons?
I was going to suggest the same thing. You said that his lessons are a bargain, anyway. Judging by the pictures of your house, I would guess a little added expense wouldn't break the bank. If you don't want to drive him, perhaps you could pay for him to use Uber.

·
Garbage Day!
9,395 Posts
Going from driving out for weekly lessons to almost having 6 accidents in one trip sounds a bit extreme. Alzheimers is usually slower-moving than that, if that’s what you’re getting at.

Sounds almost more like a vision problem; you sure he didn’t just forget his glasses or something?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Going from driving out for weekly lessons to almost having 6 accidents in one trip sounds a bit extreme. Alzheimers is usually slower-moving than that, if that’s what you’re getting at.
Sounds almost more like a vision problem; you sure he didn’t just forget his glasses or something?
Wouldn't affect his speech, though. Mini-stroke?

·
Come on man!!
14,364 Posts
Reactions: RenoF250

·
Registered
264 Posts
My wife's aunt in Missouri, who is 94 , was involved in a parking accident yesterday. 5 cars were damaged. When the police came to sort it out, she voluntarily surrendered her license.

The day will cone when we all will face this situation. Giving up the license is like losing the privilege of independence.

When my day comes, it will be tough.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,115 Posts
Maybe, or she could drive herself. The piano teacher once told me his wife was once a beauty contest state winner. Now she is old and fat and does not want anyone to see her.
The Piano teacher's wife needs to improve her self image and the best was to do that is by socializing with people. I'm sure you wife would put her at ease.

Those of us who were blessed with good looks in our youth all lose our charm when we get older. But it doesn't mean we should be hidden away from the world like we're freaks of nature. Young children don't judge people by their looks and mature adults don't either and the people that do, their opinion isn't worth considering.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,074 Posts
No on line lesions available?
She has been taking piano lessons most of her life, is she that bad a student? Or does she just like taking lesions?:horsey:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
IMO go get him for your wife’s lessons, take him back home. (If she cant go there). Make them every other week if needed. I got the idea your wife enjoyed learning.
I think this might happen. It's 25 miles each way. So your solution would mean 100 miles of driving for each lesson. Maybe they could set up some kind of Zoom link on the Internet. I don't know how computer literate the piano teacher is. We are all around 80 years old. The less driving we do the safer everyone is. My wife recently totaled her Toyota Avalon and I replaced it with a new one. She had ran a stop sign.

You are right she does enjoy taking piano lessons. She has been doing it for years. I never told her, but I did not think she was very accomplished on the piano considering how long she had been taking lessons. Once she started lessons with the guy that just quit, her playing seem to improve 10 fold! He would giver her assignments and she would practice throughout the week preparing for his next arrival. I'm half deaf and have no musical talent but it made me happy to see her enjoying herself. He slowed her down, taught her to play through her mistakes and hide them, he taught her how to give "expression" to her playing. He was a very good music teacher. She had been driving to the home of brilliant performer for years to take lessons but never really got that good. Sadly, that man died and his widow got us in touch with Bill, who was a much better teacher. Just because some can play, does not mean they have the talent, patience, and skills to teach. Bill was/is an excellent teacher.

I watch/listened to Bill in disbelief as he struggled to organize his thoughts while speaking to me. I'm going to to try to learn more about how to link them together on the Internet. I think it would help both of them. Poor Bill needs the money and my wife can afford to pay him. I hope Bill recovers from what ever is going on with his mind.

Life ain't easy for anyone! I'm going to try to help them both if I can. Since I'm on this new oral cancer medication, the symptoms of my cancer are gone! I'm regaining my strength and energy. It will also good for me if I can help them.

I'm going to call Bill and find out if has a computer at his home. There are a lot of programs that let people communicate in real time.

Darn, I just realized that this thought of helping them link together over the Internet came to me while typing the above. Thank you dear reader!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts