GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
The only reason I would own two identical pistols would be to have a backup for a carry gun.

I do not, though, I usually instead have a second gun that's close enough to replace a carry gun reasonably well if one goes down.

Like a slightly different size/caliber Glock (19/26/23/27 etc) or 1911 (commander, CCO, compact)
I have both.

So there's at least two different approaches, and some will pursue both approaches at the same time.

1. Get multiples of the exact same gun. I have this :)

2. Get slighty different versions of essentially the same gun. I do this, too :)

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
The only reason I've seen for identical guns is a backup for competition or classes. If you are paying a big fee to attend major matches or training classes, a broken gun could be a costly problem. Switching to a backup could save the day.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
I bought my first Ruger SR9c mostly for my wife who then got the TX CHL. Her interest was very brief and it became mine.

I later bought a second one and put night sights on it. I shoot it but use the older gun mostly to keep the round count down on the nighttime CCW carry.

I see forum members with what I think is an incredible number of Glocks and which closely overlap others. Not my thing but if that's what you like, go for it. Don

·
Combat Diver
3,315 Posts
I have "multiple" 45 GAP pistols. First, I love the cartridge. Second they are uber cheap and third, I put them in rifle bags with an IFAK, a protein bar, water bottle and a basic load of rifle ammo. No matter what I have basically the same pistol. It also gives me a pistol that if in more dire times are liberated from me, will likely not be able to be used against me, at least for very long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1.) I have a Ruger SR9, SR9c, SR9E and a backup SR9 for 1st, tier home defense and occasional CC. They all can take the same 17round magazines and my Ruger PCC9(carbine) takes the same magazines. The daughter and wife have a SR9c for use as well. In todays age of all the "Peaceful Protests" it just seems for me to be a good idea. I opted for additional round capacity to allow us to get to the SHTF 2nd. tier if needed. I still love my revolvers but decided to go with the above for now. Daughter has a G19 and we have x2 G44's to train with.(love these Glocks as well)
2.) Neighbors compete and they have duplicate firearms for training and the occasional failures.
3.) Nothing wrong with having duplicate firearms. To each his own.
4.) As I get older I am somewhat thinning the herd and sticking to just the ones I need to use and the ones I just love.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I tend to do multiples with rifles and shotguns as well----some are identical---some might be the same model except for color or material---some might be the same model in a different caliber or gauge.

1.I like them
2.One is none--two is one.......
3.You never know when something will be discontinued--even popular guns are discontinued ie Colt AR's--Ruger SR series--Remington bankruptcy etc......
4.Spare parts and common accessories

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I had a bad urge to buy 2 Security 9MM because they were so cheap. Didn't do it and have regretted it. If you want two of the same then get two of the same, it's your life and money.

Reactions: 835mag and Gfive45

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I made this post to hear why other GT members have purchased multiple of the same model pistol. Let me hear what you have doubles, triples and more of the same gun and why.
Some go by the mantra of 'two is one and one is none'. There is much validity to that viewpoint. I follow it on many different items.

At the moment, the only double I have is the Glock 19X. The 19X is the first and only new Glock I've ever purchased from a gun store (all others were purchased used or traded for used, or in some cases brand new/unfired). I wanted a platform that could hold more ammo than the G22 I was currently using for night stand duty. The 19X allows for 20 rounds on tap. At first I didn't care for the color but it grew on me. And since I liked the G19 size anyway and the 19X dumped the finger grooves that I didn't like I went with the purchase. It's fit the role quite well.

A trade came up last month with someone I've dealt with before for another 19X. Well, liked the first one so much and I wasn't using the pistol I traded, I decided to get another.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I own duplicate guns in different calibers 9mm, .40 S&W not to preserve one but in case of ammo availability issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Because if I am in an officer involved shooting and they want my duty gun for evidence, I have a spare that fits the same duty rig.
Your duty weapon is self purchased? Would they not supply you with a replacement duty weapon?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Lots of good reason stated above.

I carry at my out-of-state business to which I travel every weekend. I keep one G27 in the safe in the business office, and I keep the other at my home for practice. This eliminates the need to travel with a gun. The home gun also serves as a spare.

Reactions: Gfive45

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Your duty weapon is self purchased? Would they not supply you with a replacement duty weapon?
Yes, we purchase our own duty weapon. I have never worked at an agency that furnished duty weapons with the exception that my current agency furnishes an AR-15.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Yes, we purchase our own duty weapon. I have never worked at an agency that furnished duty weapons with the exception that my current agency furnishes an AR-15.
Thank you. I was curious, my former agency issued all duty weapons. Off duty weapons were personally owned but had to be selected from a specific list of makes and calibers.

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Parts. Buying the whole gun to use it for parts may be cheaper than paying for the parts down the road. If I'm expecting to use a lot of surplus, corrosive ammo, I may buy another one just to have it for more serious job and run only commercial ammo through it. Like TT33.

Reactions: ChuckUles

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I don't own two identical anything except for sharing the same caliber. Closest is 2 Colt Combat Commanders in SS, but even those are differing variations. And I'm about to sell one of those.

I have previously owned multiple Luger variants, or S&W variations, or Colt revolvers, but none were "identical " having different barrel lengths, model variations, or other differences.

Never saw a need for identical duplicates.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts