Two or more identical pistols...why?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by China boy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

Two 19s because the holsters and mags work together, I got a good deal on the second, and when I carry one theres still one for the wife at home. One is a gen 4, one is a gen 5. The second one also serves as a project gun to try different things out with.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  2. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Your post said "pistols," but I have 3 identical revolvers I keep stashed in strategic points around the house in case I need them quickly. The family and I practice with them occasionally, so the theory is having the same platform for familiarity in case of emergency.

Again, you said "pistol," but I also have pairs of a few C&R European rifles I picked up years ago before prices got crazy. At the time, it was cheaper to buy a second rifle than to inventory spare parts.

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I have 2 sons. Makes it much easier to have fun at the range.

:thumbsup:

4. illrooster132

illrooster132

5. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I have four Beretta 92 series pistols. Why? Because it's easier to put different grips on four of them than it is to change grips on a single pistol. One with black grips, one with cherry red grips, one with black/grey grips and one with olive green grips. I still have two spare complete slide assemblies. As soon as I find new grips I like, I'll start looking for frames. LOL.

6. papercidal

papercidal

When you’ve spent a couple hundred dollars on match fees, then hotel and travel expenses not finishing the match because of a gun issue would stink. I’ve only used my backup gun at a match once but that makes it worthwhile to keep one.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Just collectable stuff, Pete

Even then, there are different variations.

China boy likes this.
  8. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I like variety too much. Im always looking for a gun i don't have already and want.

9. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I have bought a gun, traded it, then bought one just like it later, but have never owned multiples the exact same gun at the same time.

One thing that is common for me, is to keep multiples of the same type/brand. When I got into 1911's I had several, when I was shooting H&K's, I had several, Glock's... Several, SIG's... Several, etc. etc. etc.

10. jr24

jr24

The only reason I would own two identical pistols would be to have a backup for a carry gun.

I do not, though, I usually instead have a second gun that's close enough to replace a carry gun reasonably well if one goes down.

Like a slightly different size/caliber Glock (19/26/23/27 etc) or 1911 (commander, CCO, compact)

11. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I have 2 642s, one for carry and one is a car gun. I have 4 10/22s cause I like them. A 686 Plus and 586 cause I can. I also have 7 1911 guns ,it's all fun.

12. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

This is the only identical pair I own. I got the second one just for the novelty. Consecutive serial numbers would have been even better.
    D491EC1E-08C5-4154-A092-EA8877625864.jpeg

13. 835mag

835mag

14. jr24

jr24

Oh! I just realized I actually DO have two identical guns, a pair of Vaqueros in .357.

Wife bought me the second one so I wouldn't scratch hers all up in the woods.

ithaca_deerslayer and pspez like this.
  15. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

so I can have two variations of the same gun

a Combat M1911A1 with high profile 3 dot sights, lowered / flared ejection port, extended ejector

beveled mag well, black plastic grips

a plain Jane GI M1911A1 with simple low profile GI sights, parkerized finish, WW2 brown bakelite grips, mainspring housing w/ lanyard loop

maybe one for Home Defense with night sights, light attached and one with standard factory sights for range use

maybe a sub compact version for concealed carry

16. uofaengr

uofaengr

Last year I made a point to get backups of my primary SD guns which are the G19 and G21. My shooting has increased tenfold or more over the past few years, and I like having one to train with and one serving its role. It also allows me to clean less frequently and test how far they can go whereas I'd always clean a SD gun after every range trip.

I've considered getting a backup G43, but I don't put as many rounds through it in comparison. If a stupid deal came along then I'd go ahead and pick one up maybe, but I don't love the 43 like I do the 19 and 21.

17. powernoodle

powernoodle

We buy these things to feel good. The process of surfing the web, talking on the forums, thinking and wishing, buying the gun, etc., its all anesthesia for the soul. The process makes us forget our crappy jobs at Home Depot, and the reality that we will never walk on the moon or go camping with Sharon Stone.

So we repeat the gun buying process over and over to chase the dragon. Its how I ended up with maybe 15 Glocks, and an arsenal large enough to supply the Bolivian air force. I do it also with knives, flashlights, multitools and Man Sacks. Its a distraction. It makes us feel good.

[​IMG]
    Nothing to see here. No sickness at all.

18. JBP55

JBP55

I have several of the same models in Glock and HK pistols.

DienBienPhu and ShipWreck like this.
  19. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I started buying a pair of identical guns for my CCW recently. I carry one and practice with it regularly but keep the other one as a back-up after function testing it on the range. That way, even if the primary gun ever fails or needs to go back to the factory for repair, etc., I will still have the other gun in good working order.

For similar reasons, I‘ve got three very similar AR rifles. (Well, it was mostly because I enjoyed building it. :D)

ithaca_deerslayer and ShipWreck like this.
  20. billyj7175

billyj7175

I have several duplicates...not for any logical reason, just simply came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a gun I already knew I liked.

ithaca_deerslayer and ShipWreck like this.