close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two of my children are sick

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by EagleOne716, May 19, 2006.

1. EagleOne716

EagleOne716 Guest

Hello everyone:
    As the subject line says, two of my children are sick. Our children are our 5 kitties and 1 very spoiled dachshund.
    The two kitties have some sort of Upper Respritory Disease. The vet gave one of them amoxilian (excuse spelling) and two shots on Sunday. He is still wheezing and sneezing. A lot of mucus but nothing appears to be in his lungs. I took him and my second one that is acting (Leo) up to the Vet yesterday. The doctor put Peace on a high powered antibotic and started Leo on Amoxilian. He said that if Leo did not get better to put him on the high powered stuff also. After one day of no progress and getting worse, I now have both on the heavy duty drug. Both kids have a low grade fever and no mouth ulsers. All of my kids are inside pets and are up to date on all of their shots.
    These are our kids and I am worried to death. The first one has lost weight and I am not sure if he is eating and drinking or not.
    I ask my friends here online to say a prayer for my kids and if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.
    I can't sleep at night for worrying about them. It is terrible to be so attached to an animal. I have lost 2 in the past couple of years and I just can't go through that pain again.
    Please pray for Leo and Peace...and thank you very much.

Dennie
    :crying:

2. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Prayers and good thoughts inbound for your sick kitties. I understand feeling that your pets are like children, I feel the same about my cat.

Please let us know how everything turns out.

3. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

my prayers are with them for a speedy recovery.:angel: :teddy:

4. KWinter

KWinter

They really depend on their sense of smell to motivate them to eat. I have a couple of questions, and a couple of suggestions...

What is the name of the stronger antibiotic? Have all of your cats been tested for FELV/FIV in the past? How long since the one dropping weight had any bloodwork done? Ages of the cats?

A couple of sugggestions would be to do what the cat will allow to clean the mucous from their nose regularly (just use warm water on a washcloth)....separate the 2 sick ones so that you can better monitor their food/water intake. If one is not eating...back to the vet he goes. You can offer wet food to gain some eating interest, and provide a little more moisture intake.

Sounds like you are on top of this with your vet...and across the keyboard advice is not as good as seeing the case in person naturally. I would also suggest that if things get worse...or do not significantly improve in a few days on the new meds...take them back and have some routine bloodwork done, (Chemistries and CBC to start). A bit more diagnostic work up can go a long way to help the vet get a better idea what they are dealing with.

All that said...Upper Respiratory infections in cats...even indoor ones... are not all that uncommon...and typically respond well. Keep us posted.

(I am new here...so let me just put in that I have worked in veterinary medicine for 16 years now...geez I'm gettin old)

5. sarge40

sarge40 Huge Member

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

6. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

You know kitties are my fave people in the whole world.......

Prayers for your 2 kids......... :angel: :angel: :angel: :hearts:

7. EagleOne716

EagleOne716 Guest

Hi all and thank you for your prayers and help.
    The kids are still snotting and sneezing but they seem to be eating and drinking. I guess it just has to run it's course. Peace has lost quite a bit of weight but seems to be stabalized.
    They are on Zeniquin 25 mg.
    They have never been tested for FELV/FIV as they are all indoor cats and have never had a problem before.
    Peace is 6 years and Leo is 3 years old.
    Again, thanks all for your prayers. I will keep you updated.

8. tomkatz

tomkatz

Good thoughts and prayers for your cat kids comin your way.:angel:

9. EagleOne716

EagleOne716 Guest

Update...Update....Update
    The kids seem to be getting better. Peace is drinking and eating a little bit. Has lost probably 10 lbs...but is not sneezing and snotting as bad.
    Leo is shorting and sneezing. He seems to have smaller nasel passages so has always had a hard time with breathing. He is eating and drinking very well...so I guess we are over the biggest part.
    I want to thank all for their prayers and good wishes...and advice. I am a worrywart as far as my kids...after all..they are our kids..
    What more can I say. You know the deal. :)

10. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I'm so glad to hear that your kids are getting better!

11. KWinter

KWinter

Sooo glad to hear that your kids are on the mend. :)

12. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Dennie, I am sorry I did not see your post earlier. But I am very glad to hear the kids are improving. Best wishes and prayers from me and Kody (even though cats aren't his favorite people :) ).