close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two monitors

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NOCM, Mar 9, 2006.

1. NOCM

NOCM NRA Life Member

I have an XP media center computer with a 2.8GhZ processor and 2G RAM. Is it possible to have two monitors useable at the same time?

For example, can I keep email and the media center open on one monitor and Photoshop open on the other?

What would I need to do this (other than another monitor of course)

Thanks.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You mainly need a video card with two DVI ports, or one DVI and one VGA. (DVI=white; VGA=blue)

That's pretty much it. My 6800GT will do this but I haven't found a use for this feature so far. I have set up several for customers, though, and it is kinda cool.

3. Toyman

Toyman

Fastvfr is pretty much correct. Although you don't need a single video card. You can do it with 2 or more cards.

I personnaly have 2 GeForce FX 5200 128mb cards (one AGP and one PCI) running 3 monitors. Two 21.3"ers running at 1600x1200 and a 19" running at 1280x1024 (all 32 bit) on a P4 2.4ghz machine with 2gb of ram. Runs just fine, although I don't do any gaming.

There are some BIOS's with options for the onboard video if you have that, sometimes you have to set the option to allow other cards and or which should be the primary.

Oh, and if you do, be sure to get UltraMon: http://www.ultramon.com

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

the common phrase is "Dual Monitors", and yes, it is awesome.

It's great for students - one monitor can have a pdf or web site pulled up and the other can have your lab report. just about cuts lab report time in half. copy & paste to quote something is much faster because you don't have to stop and think about minimizing/maximizing or alt+tabbing windows.

i did it with two video cards one was an FX5200 AGP and one was an old, old ATI 16MB PCI card.

set it up in linux with help from GTers; but never tried it in windows.

5. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I do this for work all the time. I have the laptop in the port replicator, with a second monitor attacked. I use the laptop screen for my main stuff (email, terminal server, remote admin, etc, etc, etc) and the side monitor for the comms clients, web browsers, etc.

Works like a charm.

On my linux box I do it as well, but it's even better. I linux, I have 2 separate desktops, different "tool and quicklaunch" bars, etc. :)

6. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I do this with my laptop when I'm using Dreamweaver or just want the space. It's really nice. Once you get used to it's hard to go back to one screen. I'm trying to talk them into dual 19" flatscreen monitors at work...;Q

7. Blue59

Blue59

Running dual monitors is great, not much advantage in games but it's a huge improvement in working. Once you get used to having dual monitors you never seem to have enough room on one.

If your videocard doesn't have dual outputs, you can just get another $25 PCI card and use it to run the secondary monitor.
    ~