Two man cars?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by silverado_mick, Jan 23, 2010.

1. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

The recent CHiP's thread got me thinking. How many of you guys regularly ride in two man cars? Thoughts on doubling up? Pros/Cons? Discuss please.

My dept rides two man cars on the weekend and some nights during the week. It's not really a policy, but in our town (1.5 sq miles, 10,000 residents) we run 5-6 guys a shift on friday and saturday, and we only have 3-4 cars in rotation so by default someone ends up riding double.

Personally I like having a partner with me most of the time. Instant backup is nice, and once you get used to one another it's nice to be able to just jump into something without having to communicate first. The problem comes if you get paired up with a turd.

Riding alone has it's ups too though. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

2. JBaird22

JBaird22

Every other shift in our department rides solo but our shift rides two man units. We rotate car partners so sometimes its like being an FTO, sometimes its like dragging an anchor. On the Sundays I work, I ride solo which is nice. I can just be with my thoughts and do my thing. Instant back up is a real plus.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

My experience is this: When you gotta work with a partner, it's a pain because,well, you have someone next to you for the next 8 hours. But when it comes to those high priority calls, it's nice to have backup immediately (as long as you can trust him/her).

4. madcitycop

madcitycop

I used to ride a 2 man car in the roughest part of the city and man was it nice. You could get real aggressive crime fighting right away from first contact and there was no issue of stepping out of the car running because you knew there was someone right behind you backing you up.

5. Horror

Horror Polizei

We always work with two officers in one car.

I like it. My Partner is a former MP like me and we're from the same cloth.
    We're a good team and we have alot of fun at work.

6. blueiron

blueiron

We rarely did it.

When we did, I hated it. The boss would always take the unmotivated slugs and place them with another officer or I. All night long, all I'd hear about was "let's take a break"; "when is lunch"; "can we go to the station"; "not another call"; "can't wait for days off/vacation"; "I have to get home on time"; etc. The whining about and the amount of energy expended on trying to avoid calls was far more than actually doing and clearing them. Once they got done, they'd whine to the sergeant about working way too hard. It was like working with lazy little girls.

I spent most of my career in a solo car and being proactive. I imagine it would be far different if people were matched for work productivity.

Yes, I hate lazy cops.

7. Gangrel

Gangrel

We only ride two man in special circumstances. I used ride with a friend of mine fairly often. We worked together pretty dang well and I enjoyed it.

Most of the other times that I have done it, I've wanted to shoot myself (or them, preferably them). People whose worth ethic you usually ignore, you're forced to deal with.

8. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

We rarely run two man cars for parol. Usually just for special details or holidays (4th of July, New Years).

On a side note you guys run 5-6 guys a shift? That must be nice. We only run that many on my department and we are a city of about 80K +. We have some overlap but after 0300 we only run 4-6 and a Sgt.

9. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

We're a little busy here. Like my own little slice of ghetto, lol.

It is nice having the bodies on the street, but I feel you guys on the "anchor" in the passenger seat. Thankfully my dept is full of proactive guys who work/play well together and we are pretty good at culling the slugs from the herd so to speak. If you get hired and you are scared or worthless, you usually don't last long here. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I like riding together with most of the guys I work with.

You gotta love it when you come to work, get your vehicle assignment and the Lt says to you and your partner "all I want from you two is chaos and mayhem tonight!"

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Horror, what state in Germany do you work for?

11. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Tow man units are not happening unless one is new and/or in training.

Pros- easier to stay awake if you have someone to talk to.

Cons- someone is always there to cramp my style and they usually won't let me sleep.

12. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

When I became a shift commander, we worked one man units. I took my two most agressive guys and paired them in one unit, and let them 1.) be the lead unit on fight calls (instant back-up) and 2.) turn them loose to make arrests in high crime areas and roust the heathens. They did an outstanding job, ending up making a hugh marijuana bust just by good old fashioned policing!

13. fla2760

fla2760

I spent a lot of time with various partners on NYPD. Two man sectors are the rule in NYC.
    This is good if you get along with them if not it's like a bad marraige. I also voluntered for some steady footposts over the years and it was very nice. There was plenty going on in Manhattan to keep you busy and also great opportunities for community policing. Highway worked solo but had a shotgun.

14. Horror

Horror Polizei

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  15. Zim

Zim

As a lowly scrub reserve I usually work as the second person in the car. I like to think I am roactive and help my partner withou trying to take over, but you'dn have to ask my partners to know for sure.

I like it as I have someone to back up and listen to (being well aware my time as a reserve equals very little time on the job to a full time guy), but it's also fun working by myself at times...

16. Wyzard360

Wyzard360

Safety is the main advantage. You've always got your backup with you. You can concentrate on driving while your partner handles the radio/computer/phone. One of you gets in a foot pursuit the other can get on the radio while you worry about catching the guy. I like having someone to talk to.

The cons I see are less cars out looking for crime, although you could argue that each car is more apt to see something with two sets of eyes. Number one problem with 2 man units is that a lot of cops just have a problem with getting along with their partner. When running two man units, you really should let people pick their own partner.

From a department standpoint, I don't think either should be the set rule. I think it works better to let officers have the choice. Some people just don't like being in the car with another person all day, and that's fine. If a couple guys want to double up that's fine too. There's nothing wrong with having both single man and two man units out at the same time.

17. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I prefer to work alone.

I feel more productive, I don't chatter with my partner and ignore what's going on outside the car. I don't have to carry anyone else's load. I don't have to check to see what their thoughts are about initiating a stop prior to doing it. I eat where and when I want. I get out of the car more and conduct more foot patrols. I don't have to go socialize with their friends or talk car to car with people I could care less about. I don't sit like a slug while they do a report that also bears my name, and probably is sub-par. I can sing along to the radio and beat on the steering wheel when I get mad without being embarassed.

I prefer to work alone.

18. CAcop

CAcop

For the most part we work one person cars. A few times we double up for special enforcement, FTO, reserves, etc.

I like working a two person car if the person I am working with I can deal with. If it is someone who wants things done their way when they are in the passenger's seat it drives me up the wall. One of the guys I would get partnered up with from time to time did that and drove me up the wall. It is no wonder he became an FTO. He had practice telling me what to do. Not that I did any of it. He was better than working with the slug. His day pretty much revolved around looking for a place to smoke his ciggys and refill his coffee cup. This last summer I worked with a pretty motivated guy frequently so it was nice. He also would go with the flow.

Solo cars are fine too. They suck when it gets busy in my town and we are going to one hot call to another. Of course it just makes you learn good officer safety skills beyond what they teach you in the academy. One of our new guys learn the hard way how to talk to people when responding alone. For the most part I don't mind because I can do what I want, when I want. I would prefer to have a few moe officers on shift just so that we have backup more frequently.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've worked both Adam (double) and Lincoln (single) units.

The prevalent practice here in SoCal is running Lincoln units unless you're LAPD patrol or certain LASO areas. Most departments here don't have the manpower for Adam units unless it's a special detail, riots, FTO, reserves, or when they run out of cars.

I like Adams when you're bored and you get along with your partner. You have instant backup. If it's not busy, then you're basically getting paid to hang out with your buddy and then you get to have fun doing some proactive stuff on your terms.

I like Lincolns too when you are just in the mood to be alone and do your own thing without having another person with you. Sometimes you just want to do your own thing and not have to worry about dragging someone else along and have to answer all the time, "What are you doing? Where you going? What did you see?"

I really don't have a preference, having done both for a period of time. The key is having a good partner for Adams, otherwise, give me my Lincoln unit and leave me alone.

20. groovyash

groovyash

You probably already know this Mick, but we have the option to bid for the wagons, or other 2 man cars, or to bid for a single man car, or bid a utility job and often get put in a 2 man car. All the late splits are 2 man cars. I've done both. The up side is that if you have a partner you can stand it's nice having the backup and additionally you tend not to get sent to stupid reports.