close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two hogs in one night?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Burrito, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Burrito

Burrito

Me and my brother are going hog hunting for the first time. The hogs on this land generally gather around the tank at night. We're gonna setup in the evening and hopefully wait for them to come in. Is there a chance of both of us gettin a hog. I figure I'll shoot the first one and then they'll all run away (except for the one I shoot ;f ). But will they come back? Or will the shot just make them run around but not necessarily out of range for another shot for him to take? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. vafish

vafish

It depends,

My buddy and I shot 3 at once.

I shot a big boar first, then a sow that was hanging around nearby, only wounded her and another boar came charging back in while she was squealing.

The rest of the times they scattered after the first shot.

I wouldn't expect them to come back, pigs are supposed to be smarter than dogs.

3. noway

noway

what I've seen work, if you have a bunch of hogs (sounders) come into a water tank area you could position one hunter at the tank and the other guys gets placed on the path/trail that the hogs came in on.

8 out of 10 times, they will escape the same way they came in. Or at least that my experience. They will be looking for the quick way out and that leads to cover. Now shooting a hog running away might be tricky.

btw, if you try the above make sure you monitor the wind so that way you don't spook them when trying to get in placed. All so don't get in a cross-fire situation and end up shooting at each other.

If you are real good, you both can pre-agreed and pick out your hogs and do the on 1-2-3-now shoot approach. Like I'll shoot something at the right and you at the left side. I've had that work for me. ;f

just my 0.02c

4. TexAg

TexAg

I think it can def. be done with two hunters, placed a few yards apart. One shoots far right and one shoots far left, but once you do shoot, I doubt they will come back in for a long while. I was with my Dad hunting pigs/turkey and I had a Mini-14 and my .45Colt Vaquero with plans on shooting the Turkey with the .223 in the head and a hog if we saw one closer. Well, we walked to where we could see the feeder and there were a half dozen pigs under it instead of the turkeys so I picked one out with the scoped Mini-14 and shot one...they scattered all directions with one coming my way at about a 10 degree angle and I shot her too. If my Dad had a gun I think we could have gotten three.
    Just sit where you can see each other and both be ready, pick your pigs, then when one shoots, the other can quickly follow up.

5. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

My best is 5 at one time. I came up over a hill where there were 12-15 sleeping on top of the hill. Closest one jumped up and I dropped it with my .06 and then all hell broke out. Pigs were going everywhere and I managed to knock down 4 more before the chaos subsided. That being said, I have never killed more than 1 pig at any other time;f

GM