Two days until I ride by myself. Advice.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by BoxerDog25, Mar 6, 2010.

1. BoxerDog25

BoxerDog25

Its finally over. 6 months of the academy, 6 months of field training with three different trainers. My last trainer had us working from 2 pm until 3:30 am because he loved overtime. Evaluation for two weeks with two different evaluators. Its been fun at times(when not training) and tiresome at others.

Now I ride by myself. Advice?

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Stay alert, always pay attention to what people actually say, never assume anything. when possible always get the facts before acting or forming a conclusion.

Always be asking yourself the question WHY.

Why is this person saying what they are saying, why aren't they saying this given the circumstances? Something seems out of place, WHY? Etc.

Always be open to learning, soon as you think you know it all you have stopped learning.

3. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

Develop your district/beat orientation as much as possible. Don't put off parking and getting out of the car to press the flesh with people. When in the car, roll with the windows down regardless of weather. As a single man unit you will have to further develop and hone your senses. Good luck.

4. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

Most people look up to you, so never look down on them. Be kind whenever possible.

Show some humor and don't take yourself too seriously.

Remember that you are merely a fellow citizen who took on some additional responsibility in the community. That means don't be a swaggering cowboy or an ordinance nazi.

But have some badazz skillz ready to deploy at a moment's notice whever called upon.

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Keep the window down and your guard up. If you drive with the windows up, you might as well sit in the office and just respond to radio calls from there. The best cops keep an eye and ear out for activities and hunt.

A good cop never goes hungry, thirsty or cold. Get yourself a big Super Gulp of cold drink in summer or coffee in winter and keep it filled all night. Have snacks in the car so when you get tied up on a call, at least you have something to keep you going. I like energy bars. Have a duty jacket or windbreaker available if you work hours where it gets chilly.

Don't be afraid to get out of the car and talk to people. Build rapport. Get to know the locals and businesses and other fixed sites. You can get some good information on local activities especially if there are illegal activities around the area and also build community relations.

There are tons of things, do a search on newbie rookie questions and they will all apply here as well.

6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Watch their hands.

7. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Echoe this.

Also, if something doesn't feel "right" then it probably isn't. Use your sixth sense.

When I ran a squad and the new guys were getting off FTO, I always told them a line from an old John Wayne movie (She wore a Yellow Ribbon)..."Everyone has to cross a river under fire for the first time." This was pertaining to a young calvary officer leading his men across a river pursued by hostile Indians.

Good luck and stay safe.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Head on a swivel............ Never ASuuME.'08.

.........................................................................................................

9. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Don't get yourself into something you can't get yourself out off!
    Also paranoia actually is a healthy thing in our job! ;)

10. ctaggart

ctaggart

11. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Get out and talk to people, develop friendships with store people and residents. Your success depends on information and that comes from others.

12. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

When you pull up behind someone don't box yourself in. I know this is basic police 101 stuff but you have no idea how many officers do this. Also remember that drunks are attracted to bright flashing lights (no, that is not a joke). Too many videos of well-lit-up police cars on a traffice stop getting rear ended by some idiot.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

this can not be said enough!

14. Glocker39

Glocker39

Ive been on my own now for 6 months. The first time you walk out to your unit you wont know wheather you want to puke or do a cartwheel. You'll jump on your CAD and take the first 10 report calls that hold and thats normal. Take a deep breath and go be a cop....because now is when you start really learning the job....here are a few things Ive learned.

1) Deep night shift-after midnight 99% of what comes out of a contact's mouth is not the truth.

2) Dont be affraid to call for a cover unit-but have the mindset one's not coming.

3) If you have an instict, gut feeling, or think you see something....act THEN, dont think about it.....just turn down that alley, spotlight between those houses, turn on that car. Usually if you think you see something....you did.

4) Step up, take calls, be a team player, and earn the respect of your peers.

5) If you are unsure of something-ask a senior ofc. or your sgt. Its better to ask then to assume and be wrong.

5) Only ask once for someone to keep their hands in view.

6) Really start paying attention to your geography. Now you dont have someone over your shoulder constantly questioning your every move, turn, and action....take your time, drive slow and take it in.

7) Night shift-be a hunter. Black out in your residentials...learn to drive not using your brakes (causing light) and no blinkers. This one took a concious effort on my part.

8) No such thing as too cautious.....its your life and you dont have an FTO there to steady you when you trip or catch you when you fall.

Hope this helps brother. Congrats and be safe.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  15. Master T

Master T

At first you will be gun ho and stop every car that crosses the yellow line, suspecting it to be another DUI. Not realizing that the real DUI's are passing you during the traffic stop. Take your time on DUI stops and observe the drivers behavior. Soon you will be able to pick out the real DUI's and making less traffic stops. Actually doing a better job.

16. RocPO

RocPO

Never be afraid or too cocky to call for additional units if you need.

"2 is 1, 1 is none". Always have spare flashlights, magazines, batteries, even little things like ties and pens. My partner breaks my balls that I carry two of everything. He stops when he needs one ;)

3 years on and I still keep a "Rookie book". Map of the city, prefilled incident reports (as much as can be), evidence tags, common city ordinance violations. Reports that I commonly use (stolen vehicle forms, supporting depositions)

Very simple rule. "Ask, Tell, Make". I ask you once to comply. I tell you once. Then I make you comply.

17. ljaq516

ljaq516

Hey Boxer you wouldn't happen to be from Houston would you? 205?

18. oliussw

oliussw

Alot of good info already posted. To get over the jitters a little, stop the first violation you see on your first day solo. It is all down hill from there.

19. ticktwrter

ticktwrter

So many great posts here already! My number 1 rule is "We go home at the end of shift!" That mean officer safety is paramount. Don't hit the streets with the "I am the law" attitude or someone will shove it down your throat. In reality it took me 3 years before I really started to feel comfortable on the streets and comfortable in knowing what I was doing. Also, remember you will ALWAYS be a rookie to someone! Acting like a know it all will ostracise you from those you work with. It is very easy to develop a shell dealing with people, but don't forget most people are very good and love the police.

Another big thing is there are always 3 sides to every story, his, hers and the truth in the middle.

The comment about trusting your instincts is also good. Every time I ever got into trouble was when I ignored my instincts.

And it all comes back to OFFICER SAFETY!!!!! Go out there and be a cop!

20. Detectorist

Detectorist

Congratulations !!

If you ever think of complaining about your gear, just remember, Dragoon's first issue weapon was a rock, and his first uniform was a fig leaf. :)

Stay safe !!