Two day fast

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Scott1970, Sep 23, 2020.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

2 day s...l...o...w.... :rofl:

Good job OP!

2. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Absolutely!!!

I would add Eating no food is a lot easier than eating a little food, or eating the correct foods.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life, but when I hit my 30s I went from being a few pounds overweight to being obese, with varying levels of obesity in the years since.

In my 20s I had some concerns about my use of mind altering substances so I quit drinking and smoking (cigs or otherwise), I did take up cigarettes again for a short period some years later, but otherwise have stayed clean.

Giving up smoking and drinking was far easier than eating appropriately. I can live without ever having another drink or cigarettes; I can't do the same with food. If I could somehow survive without eating I would try to do exactly that.

I am convince that the long term solution consists of the following:
    • eating a low carb/high fat diet
    • reasonable intake of calories
    • eating one-meal-a-day
    • 48-72 hour fast once every week or two (and perhaps an occasional extended fast of 96-168 hours or more)
    Actually living out those convictions however is a bit more of a challenge.

I am currently 40-some-odd-hours into a planned 68 hour (or thereabouts) water-only fast.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

OMG!
    I hadn't thought about that!

In today's society, fasting is a self-defense skill :)

4. Scott1970

Scott1970

It is for me based on what I've seen happen to co-workers.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  5. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I'm curious how long it takes to feel or see a difference if someone does a 16/8 fast?
    What differences will one see?

6. TuckersDad

TuckersDad

That's a darned shame. What has our society devolved into?

7. Scott1970

Scott1970

Pubes in french fries and a dirty paper towel in the bottom of a coke for starters.

8. BSA70

BSA70

For me to lose weight. No bread sugar intermittent fast and watch what I eat when you can eat. I'm sure long fast times has benefits. You will quickly gain weight back coming off a fast and eating.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

There is at least a 2 week hump of feeling crappy, as your body adjusts.

After that, you will feel that your body has it under control, that you don't have to eat for 16 hours. It will become easier to fast and you will gain confidence about controlling your eating. You will realize that you don't get weak, don't feel starving, but that you are ok.

The weight loss will come next. You have to eat less than you used to, and will want to lengthen your fast if you don't see the weight loss (this is how you will feel about it).

Before you start, you should measure your waist and gut, because you will likely start losing there, maybe even before you see pounds come off. Or maybe both at the same time. Fasting can allow bone and muscle growth, while also decreasing fat.

I'd say that in 1 month you'll start to feel better, and in 3 months you'll notice and weight and size difference.

Give it a good try for 3 months and see how it goes. If you clean fast, no doubt it will work. What many have a problem with is giving up their various flavored drinks. They are always looking for, reading for, various things that others say are ok to have during the fast. That approach is asking for failure. It may work for some, but not for others. Instead, go with just plain water during the fast. Hold true to your 16 hours every single day. Go 3 months. Then tell me how you are doing :)

Scott1970, BradD and Cali-Glock like this.
  10. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

Good deal. I have spent this week doing 16/8 and it has been as hard as I thought. The 16 is when I normally consumed the worst of my food. Late night snacks and processed breakfast. That alone should help. I am also trying to not snack between my lunch and dinner.
    Drinks will be relatively easy. I once was a sweet tea, occasional coke and lots of coffee guy. Recently I switched to just water and only one spoon of sugar in my two cups of morning coffee. This week I’m drinking the coffee black and trying to increase my water.
    The hardest part is overcoming my microwave mentality. I want to feel results now. I want to see results now. It’s been 3 days my head should be clear and my belt finding a new hole. I just press on.

TeaDub, ithaca_deerslayer and BradD like this.
  11. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

Good deal. I have spent this week doing 16/8 and it has been as hard as I thought. The 16 is when I normally consumed the worst of my food. Late night snacks and processed breakfast. That alone should help. I am also trying to not snack between my lunch and dinner.
    Drinks will be relatively easy. I once was a sweet tea, occasional coke and lots of coffee guy. Recently I switched to just water and only one spoon of sugar in my two cups of morning coffee. This week I’m drinking the coffee black and trying to increase my water.
    The hardest part is overcoming my microwave mentality. I want to feel results now. I want to see results now. It’s been 3 days my head should be clear and my belt finding a new hole. I just press on.

12. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

Sorry for the double post. Did I mention my coffee is decaf? It’s early and I’m impatient. My apologies

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Just stay with it, the fasting works.

Guys in this thread do it, and get results. I've lost 50 pounds.

There are other ways to diet and lose weight. Including exercising. I've done them in the past. But in comparison, I've found fasting to be by far the easiest and longest lasting.

With fasting, the process keeps getting easier the longer you've been doing it. Yet you still get to feast and be full each day. While still losing weight and gaining energy and strength. I know it sounds hard to believe. There is no place to send money, it just works :)

BradD likes this.
  14. TeaDub

TeaDub

You ask how long to feel results?

I will start by saying I'm quite new to this IF approach. I only semi-seriously started trying it about a month ago. Even now I don't make it 7 days a week. Maybe 5-6 but nearly always try to go at least 12 hrs vs the 16-18 that is my target. Occasionally, "life" gets in the way and I skip it.

All that said, I'm 7 pounds down from a month ago. I didn't think about measuring my waist, but I'm down 1 1/2 belt notches. The fast is definitely easier now than a few weeks ago. Energy is great.

One thing I really like about the IF approach is if you totally screw up one day, it doesn't "ruin" anything. I tried Keto but found it too difficult to maintain and I never got over the "keto flu" so I felt terrible. This is surely the route for me.

I too highly recommend Dr Fung's book, Guide to fasting. The benefits of doing IF in addition to weight loss are quite nice. It also costs nothing to do. Literally.

ithaca_deerslayer and BradD like this.
  15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Congrats! Glad it is going well for you.

All people/personalities are different, but what really helps me is to set a start time for my eating window each day.

I'm not eating until 5pm today. No matter what happens, I'm not eating until 5pm!

Day by day, I set a time as my goal. Each day is a new opportunity. A new life. All I have to do is make it until 5pm today, then I can eat and get full :)

TeaDub likes this.
  16. TeaDub

TeaDub

So far my method has been a little more relaxed. I started "counting" a day as a fast if it was 14 hrs of clean, non-eating. I'm now up to 16. Even if I decide to cut it short, I still try to make 12hrs.

I decided that it took literally years to get out of shape. If it takes months to reverse that I'm ok with it. I may or may not go to OMAD and 23/1. I may try it for a week or two after I build up to it.

You're absolutely right though. Everyone that tries this needs to find out the approach that best fits their body and lifestyle. I appreciate yours (and others) input that are far more experienced on this topic. :cheers:

17. beaversgs

beaversgs

Congrats on resisting the temptation. Be careful out there...

18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

This may help.... Intermittent Fasting for Beginners

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

BradD likes this.
  19. chuck73080

chuck73080

I just ordered this book on your advise, for years I thought I was wrong to eat just one meal a day. When I read the book I'll probably discover it's what I'm eating that's wrong, not when:faint:

Thanks

20. Scott1970

Scott1970

I’ve read a number of books about what to eat and why, currently fourteen of them, and The Complete Guide to Fasting is wonderfully succinct on the matter.

BradD and chuck73080 like this.