Two day fast

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Scott1970, Sep 23, 2020.

1. g30nut

g30nut

Good job

Scott1970 likes this.
  2. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I tip my hat to you. I've been 16/8 fasting this week and so far it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I am wondering if I will be able to notice any difference

ithaca_deerslayer and BradD like this.

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I did a 66 hour fast this past weekend. Was meant to be a 48 hour fast, but didnt feel like eating until monday. Pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

4. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

Wish I had that kind of will power, need to eat more healthy but I suck, damn ice cream and sweets are my kryptonite. Not sure how to get past the great "feeling" of eating garbage haha

5. Scott1970

Scott1970

I completely understand. I used to be about seventy pounds heavier. And, unfortunately I wasn't any taller at that time.

hannstv and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  6. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

kudos to the 48 hrs. By the way, why is your coffee pot empty?

rfd339 likes this.
  7. BradD

BradD

Incrementally. It's not realistic to go from processed high carb garbage one day to fasting the next. I'm sure it's possible, but it's gonna hurt -- a lot.

Start by replacing junky carbs with fruit. It's sweet enough to be tolerable at that stage. Over time, change to more veggies. Paleo is a pretty easy way to go. After dialing in the quality of food, it's pretty easy to adopt an intermittent fasting schedule.

arkdweller22 and Scott1970 like this.
  8. Scott1970

Scott1970

There's a combo water cooler/k cup combo machine in the corner. We mostly use it for coffee.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Stay with it, and I bet you do start to notice a difference.

In a couple weeks, you might even consider lengthening the fast a little at a time. I fast 23 hours each day, but started out just fasting 12 hours :)

Haldor likes this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If you want a solution, fasting is it.

Doesn't take much will power once you start.

Your body will adapt. Eating no food is a lot easier than eating a little food. Then when you do eat, you get a full meal and feel full.

rfd339 likes this.
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think that is a common concern when thinking about starting.

But the way the math works out, you eat fewer calories per day. For example, I fast 23 hours each day. For the 1 hour I do eat, I get to feel full (similar to a Thanksgiving dinner). But that is still fewer calories than I used to eat when having multiple meals per day.

Also, I tend to get full pretty quick now, so I'm no longer eating as much as a Thanksgiving dinner. Just can't do that anymore even if I wanted to.

The changes are slow, but they happen. The changes are all in the right direction. Lose fat. Gain muscle. Trimmer. More energy. Less hunger. Feel great.

The body tends to repair itself more when not constantly eating. If the body was a computer, fasting gives the chance to defrag :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    rfd339, TeaDub, Scott1970 and 2 others like this.
  12. nursetim

nursetim

So, pizza for break fast! It’s the perfect food.

13. Scott1970

Scott1970

Pizza was breakfast for me many times back when I was a fatbody.

14. Current Resident

Current Resident

OP job well done, I wish you well.

So i am seeing this regularly here about fasting and now my interest is peaked. What do you do to prep for this? I can think that during the day you would have to be active but what do you do to stave off the prowling in the evening?

Water all day long?

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  15. Scott1970

Scott1970

I drink water and black coffee. The best way to make a successful attempt at fasting is to first ween yourself off carbs, otherwise you'll crash quickly and be absolutely miserable. If your diet is adapted to using healthy fats for fuel, fasting is actually easy to do.

I highly recommend Dr. Jason Fung's Complete Guide to Fasting for anyone who is serious about it and would like a proper understanding of the health benefits associated with fasting.

chuck73080, TeaDub and BradD like this.
  16. BradD

BradD

That, exactly.

Tackle food quality first. If you're used to eating a lot of processed carbs, then fasting would require a mountain of will power and ability to withstand misery.

To me, the ability to go without food -- and feel fine and perform at your best -- is the most compelling benefit of fasting. It has been very handy on numerous business trips, like when we start testing at 5-6 am and continue without a break until 3-4 pm. If I would've had to do that before I started IFing, I would've had to jam breakfast in super early and then stop for a couple of snacks or meals along the way. No fun.

As an aside, one potential pitfall is prioritizing fasting, keto, etc. above food quality. IMO, that's a mistake. I'd like my chances better eating paleo with plenty of high quality carbs three squares a day over a fasting plan with lower quality foods.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I don't think the foods you eat matter much, with regard to fasting.

Fasting is more about increasing the length of times between meals. For me, that is regularly 23 hours. What I eat does not matter.

But to get there, you have to get your body "fat adapted". There are a couple ways to do this, and thus the others are suggesting to improve your diet. But you don't need to (unless you want to).

Instead, just increase the time between meals. For example. Finish dinner by 7pm. No snacks, no flavored drinks, no food, after that time. Just water. Wait until 7am to eat breakfast. Can you do that? Congrats, 12 hour fast!

After 2 weeks, push breakfast to 11am. Congrats, 16 hour fast!

After 2 more weeks, merge breakfast with lunch at 1pm. Congrats 18 hour fast!

After 2 more weeks, push lunch to 5pm, merging it with dinner that ends at 7pm. Congrats, 22 hour fast and OMAD! (One meal a day).

By then, you will be an expert on this whole thing and you will have lost some weight.

After 2 weeks of 22/2 OMAD, you will be used to that, and it will keep getting easier. Weight will keep coming off. Decide if you want to go to 23/1, if you think you eat too much in 2 hours. Limiting the eating to 1 hour may be better for you (you decide).

Each month that goes by, you lose more weight (lose fat, not muscle). And you have more energy. Also you will feel less hungry :)

Note: better foods can make the process easier, but it isn't necessary. You get fat adapted because your body burns your own fat during the fast. That happens by being in ketosis. Not the same as a keto diet (which also uses ketosis to burn fat). Ketosis happens in fasting simply because of the length of time between meals. You can eat anything you want in those meals. It takes a couple weeks to a couple months to get fat adapted, depending upon how long your fasts are (and how consistantly you clean fast, with no food or flavored drinks, ideally just water, although the blackest of black dark souless bitter coffee should be ok too).

Current Resident likes this.
  18. StraightG48

StraightG48

I too hurt myself one time fasting. I fell trying to get to the kitchen as fast as I could!:laughabove:

Kudos to the OP for being able to be strong in the face of such temptation!

Current Resident likes this.
  19. Scott1970

Scott1970

And added benefit to regular fasting is the ability to simply not eat when too busy with zero negative side effects like cravings, sugar drops, moodiness, distraction, etc.

I do not eat out on duty. The vast majority of options are simply garbage, and I've seen some of my guys get their food intentionally contaminated. So, I bring my own food which I cook the day before, or I do without. Sometimes I get too busy to cook and comfortably fall into a twenty-four or thirty-six hour fast. It's a fantastic ability when it can be so easily turned on.

ithaca_deerslayer and BradD like this.
  20. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

fasting? Are you CRAZY??!!!

Take turmeric for the inflammation and enjoy the pizza!

:outtahere:

rfd339 likes this.