Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Mostly" Dead
541 Posts
No damage at all. 55gr is about the smallest you want to shoot.

For reference shooting smaller ammo won't damage anything at all, what will happen is that it will spin the bullet too fast and it will not be very stable in flight which will simply make it inaccurate.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
For reference shooting smaller ammo won't damage anything at all, what will happen is that it will spin the bullet too fast and it will not be very stable in flight which will simply make it inaccurate.
Too fast will make it unstable? First time I've heard that.

I've heard that an overly fast spin can tear bullets apart. I've heard overly fast spin can keep the nose up when shooting at long range (thereby hurting accuracy).

But, not stabilizing?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm askin like accuracy wise will 55 do ok out of a 1;7 or do I need a match style ammo?
Most 55gr fmj will not be accurate in anything, 1.5" + I have seen some shoot 6" groups at 100 yds. Cheap ammo is, well cheap for a reason. WWB seems to be the better 55grFMJ on the market.
Even some match ammo isn't that accurate if you want to test the accuracy of a 5.56 or .223 Wylde chambered rifle handload 24gr of RE15 with the 69gr SMK set to 2.285" OAL. That is a long load and will not work in some mags it does work in the PRI mags I have.

·
Ninja
2,788 Posts
Nope.

A 1-7 twist will stabilize every bullet out there from 35 gns to 90 gns.

A bullet is either stabilized or not. Long bullets (heavy) need a faster twist. 55s will be fine in aything faster than 1-12.

I shoot lots and lots of Hornady 55 FMJs (two 6K cases last year) out of a 1-8 and they hold MOA out past 400 yards.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It all depends on the barrel. 1:7 can be accurate with the right ammo... it might be 55gn, 62gn , 69gn, or maybe 77gn. No one can tell you what a 1:7 will shoot until you get out to the range and try the ammo.

Yes, 55gn can be accurate - my 18" SS 1:8 barrel will group 0.75" 5 shots @ 100 with LC XM193 - 55gn fmj. on another 18" barrel it won't group better than 1.5" - same ammo same lot. Again, it depends on the barrel.

Go out and shoot it... only you can answer the q's.

The correct calibur ammo for your barrel will not harm anything... there's prob 10+ different weight 5.56 bullets out there.

have fun shooting it...

·
NRA ENDOWMENT
6,545 Posts
I'm askin like accuracy wise will 55 do ok out of a 1;7 or do I need a match style ammo?
55 grain ball sucks regardless of twist. For accuracy you need match bullets. I have had good luck in my 1/7 and 1/8 twist guns with 52 grain Sierra Match, 69 grain Sierra Match and 77 grain Sierra Match. The 77 are the most accurate for me.

Here are some ball groups fired in my Larue. (62 grain military SS109 bullets)

This group is more my average with 77 grain Sierra Match bullets in my Larue

·
38,473 Posts
I am trying out 62 and 75 grainers after playing with 55 grainers, but out to 50 yards, shooting offhand with a boresighted EOTech 517, the 55 grainer was knocking down bowling pins easily and I even managed to shoot off a piece of twine one pin was dangling from, but that one took a bit more shooting... like 10 shots.

·
sci-fi nut
791 Posts
Too fast will make it unstable? First time I've heard that.

years ago many hunting bullets weren't made to the same standard's that they are today. many weren't well balanced and if you shot them in a gun with to much twist it would hurt accuracy. now days almost all bullets will shoot fine with the fastest of twist's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.