close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Twinkie SHTF for real!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Bird, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

Why not just increase the selling price of Twinkies by 50% and give the poor working man a raise and better benefits? :whistling:

Maybe the unions should buy the company - then they would be able to give all the employees the BIG FAT raises they deserve - plus better benefits. :rofl:

It is so easy to run a highly competitive business - I don't see why they are having all these problems.

Can't they just borrow the money they need to keep paying everyone the higher wages?:upeyes:

Maybe we need legislation - just pass a law that says -no company can go out of business unless the union says it is OK. :cool:

That way everyone wins - the company stays in business - the employees get paychecks. :supergrin:

:upeyes:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. phil evans

phil evans

pixie dust from a fairyland creature will resurrect twinkies.

it's BHO, our precious leader.
    the treamsters union and their camp followers will continue to parasitize this weakened company.

3. Restless28

Restless28

The Bloomberg link had a statement from the holding company of Pabst basically saying that they will buy the company and see it prosper out from under the oppression of the union.

This is how you kill unions. Bravo!

4. Dragline

Dragline

We are on that like flies on...well, you know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Dang, June Shannon is a looker! :perfect10:

6. berto62

berto62

Im not saying unions are great....I think that blame can be spread evenly across the board. What I find confusing is people trying to vilify unions when CEO's and CFO's and Cwhateverthe****o's are running these company's into the ground, walking away with millions and leaving people who worked their whole lives with nothing. Yet union's are the bad guys destroying everything:huh? This thread is a perfect example, all the anti union people were quick to point and say....I told you so.....yet when more facts, and dare I say the truth starts coming out we see that it had a small part in this train wreck.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

More proof union basically suck IMO.

Don't care about the nasty yellow cream cakes but I do love them snowballs :)

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Interesting... This article claims that the bakers were getting pay 25-30% above the national average for the category, AFTER the previous cuts from prior bankruptcies.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hostess-shrugged-2012-11

It also seems like the union work rules were remarkably onerous, requiring bread and cake products to be delivered to stores in separate trucks, each with its own driver AND a second guy to help bring the stuff into the store. Drivers weren't allowed to load their own trucks, and bread-loading workers weren't allowed to load cake.

Also $52 MILLION in workers comp claims, in 2011 alone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324735104578123312646698662.html

If you access it from Google, WSJ won't hassle you about a subscription.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=wsj+twinkie+suicide&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

4 or six guys doing a job that could have been done by one...

remarkable.

9. dan1488

dan1488

just checked my local craigslist and they are selling all of the hostess brands, should have stocked up I guess.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

What I find confusing is people who spout off when they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

The current CEO of Hostess is a man with a long history of working with distressed companies in turnaround. It's not an easy job, and not a lot of people can do it.

Millions? The C-level executive team at Hostess has been on a $1 salary since the spring.

The people who "worked their whole lives" (by which I assume you mean, the bakers) walked away with exactly the same thing as the other people who "worked their whole lives" at being management. Management works too, you know--it's different work, but it's still work. In some ways it's easier, in many ways it's harder.

At any rate--everyone walked away from the company with the wages they'd been paid, from the bakers to the CEO (and remember the CEO's salary right now is a dollar).

What "facts" are you talking about?

The facts are these: the company has been circling the drain since 2004 (the first time it went into bankruptcy).

It has received huge injections of cash (hundreds of millions of dollars) from investors who will never see their money again.

When management asked the union to go back to work because there would not be enough cash to operate the business without continued production and sales.

The union refused.

The company is liquidating.

11. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

On the contrary.

There is an oversupply of capacity in the baking industry, lots of competition. Also a changing dietary profile of the country, we're more inclined to eat healthy and sales have been sagging for hostess. Kinda makes updating the plant with new equipment harder.

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

They have quite the nerve to call throwing two dozen artificial ingredients into a machine and watching a supposed food item roll of the line "baking".

13. blk69stang

blk69stang

I got the last two packages of Hostess Ding Dongs in my town of 50,000 last night. I feel kinda lucky. Of course now I'm torn between eating them both, or ebaying one package for $1000.

14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I'd hold on to them. Pre-ban Ding Dongs can only go up in value over the next 10-20 years.

15. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

you guys do realize hostess canada thru thier company suputo is still making hostess products with no problems..... viva la'canada , when the zompocolypse happens all our food will be frozen so twinkees and ding dongs WILL last forever :p

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I used to go see some people at the Wonder Bread store and get the cupcakes daily. Now I understand that Twinkies are being sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars. :upeyes: Obama and his unions.:shocked:

17. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

HA! :rofl:

18. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

The company laid it on the line to the union. You have a choice to make, accept the contract or lose your job.

It was their choice. They made their choice. They can live with it. That's what happens when you play chicken with someone who means what they say.

Don't try to shift responsibility to someone else. That is leftist drivel.

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  19. CaptCave

CaptCave

How dare mgmt demand the workers work, or they won't have a job.

Obviously, the company is only there to provide the employees a job.

Congratulations Bakers Union, you are responsible for over 18k people being jobless this Holiday season. You were already being paid more than the market would bear. Now you are being paid what you are worth. And I hope that the state and the fed refuse to pay Unemployment benefits to any union worker that refused to work, since you didn't get laid off, YOU QUIT. Welcome back to the real world.

20. 9mmdude

9mmdude

LOL I just bought a G22RTF2...............Hmmm RTF22 or 4 boxes of Twinkies...........