close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TV's dead, need opinions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by djpuffnstuff, Apr 30, 2013.

1. djpuffnstuff

djpuffnstuff

So I've had this 46'' Panasonic Viera Plasma for a little over 4 years now. I was watching some Tosh.o reruns about an hour ago, went to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner, got back 10 minutes ago, and this is what I find. I checked all inputs so it's def the screen itself.

[​IMG]
    So is there any hope? Could a repair shop repair this cost effectively? Since I'm in the market for a new t.v. most likely what are your suggestions. Budget would be 1500 max.

Also notice the cubby in my wall. Anyone know if they make a Stand that would fit inside of that that I could bolt down and then hang the new TV on it? I really want to get a 60'' for my next tv but with that giant cubby hole there I fear it isn't possible.

2. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I doubt that you're going to find that repairable for anything short of a number that'll have you shopping for something new. With $1500 you can get a good 60" set if you shop right.

If you have studs at the back of your cubbyhole, you can mount an arm bracket inside and just have the TV sit at its extended length. That may give you more room to fiddle with the inputs on the back, too. The only hard part will be finding a bracket for a TV that big that extends the length of the hole. Don't buy a bracket at Best Buy unless you want to spend money. You can find pretty good deals at monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828 although I don't know if any one there will suit your needs.

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I am a big fan of the Sharp quattron TV's. We have 2 60" 120hz non 3d versions, and they have been great.

4. djpuffnstuff

djpuffnstuff

@jtmac- Thanks for the link. I'll check these out.

Also looks like my man dream was very premature as the wife told me the TV had to stay "inside" the cubby.....

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I'm glad you are happy with them, but I will never recommend a Sharp Aquos or Quattron to anyone. They are literally incapable of drawing a straight line properly.

I'm not kidding. Try looking at an image with a solid line on it and look at the sawtooth pattern at the edge. Even on their RGB sets they're using a weird pixel pattern to use 2/3rds the sub-pixels to simulate the full resolution.

All the other manufacturers are producing similar trash on their LED sets, but Sharp is the worst (although Sony has a few sets that are as bad). The closest thing to normal pixels on an LED TV that I've seen are chevron-shaped pixels on an LG set. My Bravia has a lot of technology used to just make the picture worse.

They are selling this garbage as top-of-the-line.

6. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Expand the cubby...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Mine look fantastic from the 8-10 feet I sit away from the sets. I have never seen or noticed jagged lines.

8. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

One of the benefits of growing up on tube TVs and rabbit ears is that A) every new TV looks REALLY good, and I can't tell enough difference to warrant twice the money in the same size TV, and B) in my advanced years, my eyesight probably couldn't pick up the difference if there was enough of one.

I go to Sam's or wherever and buy what's on sale, and every few years, the cheap ones keep getting better like the rest of 'em. Otherwise it would be like buying a $2500 pistol with my mediocre shooting skills. The instrument is not the limiting factor!

9. silentpoet

silentpoet

10. djpuffnstuff

djpuffnstuff

I'll most likely just buy the biggest Vizio (or whatever's cheaper) I can fit in the cabinet.

11. 50 Cent

50 Cent

This is an interesting thread - had had my 36in Sanyo for 5 yrs and now the colors (particularly for night-time scenes) are useless/overly washed out. It hasn't quite given up the ghost yet but close. Looks like 4-5 yrs is all you get from these things.

12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

My 32" Toshiba has been going strong for 7 years so far, my daughter has it in her room.

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Find a girl with jacked up teef and tickle her. The picture should return instantly. HH

15. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

After 3 years our 46" Sony bought the dust with a minor power surge. Repair shop gave me a quote for over $500 so we went new. He said this was a common problem with Sony's. Got a 50" Samsung for $800 that fit in the same spot. I asked the TV repair guy which TVs he recommended and said he couldn't recommend a brand but said he never worked on Samsungs which was recommendation enough.

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Looks like someone played w the letterbox settings. Id toggle thru those settings to make sure its really broke.

Samsung all the way if you need a new one.

17. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

:bowdown: Bravia

18. Ronny

Ronny Good Guy

I would suggest going at least a year without tv at all. In a year if you turn on a tv again you'll be amazed how lame it is and what a fog it brings to all your thoughts and how nice it is to be free of that.

19. captainstormy

captainstormy

I'd probably take it to a repair shop just to get a quote. I've got 2 near me that I know of and both of them give free estimates. I'd say the ones in your area do that too.

20. ted1

ted1

I have the same 60" sharp the picture is absolutely perfect.but I guess if you look close enough you can find fault with anything. Personally I don't sit two feet from my TV with a magnifying glass.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire