close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TV Viewing distance 47" lcd

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wolfgangamadeus, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

HI all, decided to join modern times, got a 47" Vizio LCD 1080P for the man cave. I watched transformers in blu ray last night, on the new tv. Im sitting about 8ft from the screen, and it just seems overwhelming.
    From everthing Ive read, its within propper viewing distance.

What Ive been used to, for the past 10 years, is a 32" tube tv, so maybe it just takes some adjusting. Im kinda stuck with it anyway, Dell charges 15% restock, and you have to pop for return shipping. All my friends, who have had HD TVs for years, absolutely love my new TV, im ready to move it to craigs list lol... unfortunately, it would be for a loss.

If you guys have HD TVs, what size tv are u using, at what distance?

2. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Two years ago I went from an old, old 19" Mitsubishi to a 40" lcd. It was startling at first, but I quickly got used to it and then realized a 50" wouldn't be out of place. It's in a 12' x 14' room with a 10' ceiling. The tv sort of disappears into a corner next to the fireplace.

2.5 years ago my father got a 32" lcd for his room in assisted living and it's been great. I'd have a 40" and pull the chair up, since he has the recliner about 8' away.

John

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Just give it time. i had a 42 on my back bar, now a 47,, soon to be a 60. We sit at the bar and are five feet from it, like sitting in a sports bar, it's awesome. Just make sure it's not too high, that makes you crane your neck to watch tv. i have seen too many homes with tv's way up high, over a fireplace, when they should be much lower. When laying on the couch, I am 21 feet from the tv and love it because you can still have people sitting at my bar and not be interfered with.

don't take a loss on your tv, just roll with it.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

46" about 8'- 14'

5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

You will get used to it and after that you may appreciate an even bigger set. Check your picture mode. Vivid, movie, standard and pro are the options on my Sony. Sometimes Vivid can be a bit too much. I have a 52 inch Sony Z Series and our couch is 10 feet from the screen and we love it.

If you don't have surround sound plan on getting a nice receiver. Many of the receivers out today only weigh about three pounds and don't have the good internal components like years ago. I guess so many people want cheap and disposable or just don't notice. Onkyo makes an excellent receiver, is affordable and has been rated well. For speakers Polk Audio, Infinity and JBL are very good. Polk makes very nice in-ceiling speakers if you want a very clean looking set up.

The Onkyo 607 receiver produces fantastic sound and will support seven speakers (7.1 Surround). You can go get 5 speakers (5.1) - center, front pair, rear pair and subwoofer and have fantastic sound though. Out of all the receivers we looked at Onkyo came out on top for functionality and price. The 607 has five HDMI inputs so you can run your playstation or xbox through it and have full surround sound with games, your DVD, Cable, Bluray, media player and all will sound great.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR60...8&s=electronics&qid=1269785961&sr=8-1-catcorr $385

You can wire the speakers through the ceiling/walls or get wireless speakers for all or part such as for the back. There are alot of options to fit any room.

And if you really want something nice for your home theater you get http://www.popcornhour.com and a terabyte SATA hard disk to store your movies.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  6. tortoise

tortoise

Ditto what sdsnet said on checking your picture mode.

In the stores they always have them set on Vivid because it's so bright and contrasty. It catches people's eye. Often the sets come set this way from the factory as well.

At home under average lighting conditions that setting can be just too much. I prefer what my Panasonic calls Cinema. It gives a much more natural picture. The Sony we had before also offered a Cinema setting, and we chose it on that one too.

7. NCwriter

NCwriter Senior Member

We just got a new 55" and just love it. Our viewing distance is about 10 feet. Here are a couple of other things to look at also. It is best to have the TV a little higher than we used to have. When seated in the viewing position my head is only slightly looking up. The bottom of the screen is around 4 feet off the floor. Also adjust the tilt, mine is tilted toward the viewing position about 12 degrees. I got used to it real fast, but it took my wife a little longer, but she now loves it.

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Have a 52", sit about 7-8 feet from it. If I move any further back, it seems way to far away.

9. therepublic

therepublic

Get a receiver, makes a huge difference when it comes to sound. I have an Onkyo, so plus one on that. I'd avoid running your picture through the receiver. Run the HDMI or DVI from your DVD player directly to the TV, and just run the sound through the receiver with an optical cable.

10. harlenm

That can cause problems with audio and video being out of sync. I run 3 HDMI cables into my receiver, and 1 to the TV, and it works perfectly.

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I'm getting a 19" high def for my bedroom I sit 3'6" from the screen so a 19 inch is plenty big for me
    Regards
    DW

12. harlenm

I have a 40" in the bedroom, about 5 feet from it.

13. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

With high def the closer the better.

14. GT4494

GT4494

The older you get, The closer you sit...:tongueout:

15. T-Bone T

T-Bone T NRA Member

The suggested optimal viewing distance from HDTVs is 1.5-2 times the diagonal size. Once you configure it up properly, you'll get used to it. Transformers has lots of motion (to distract from the terrible movie!!), so I could see where it would be overwhelming for someone new to bigger TVs. I sit about 6-7 ft from my 46", and I now wish I had a 50"!

16. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity
    6.1 to 17.7 feet with Optimum Viewing Distance for 16:9 HD LCD Capable TV is
    11.75 feet
    Honestly closer than 12 feet for that size and you notice way to many blems in the video from the broadcast or input (digital noise, pixelation,dithering, etc) Provided you have 20/20 vision and you are viewing the screen with a viewing angle straight on and centered and screen is not angled and screen center mass is at eye level. (with you siting or in the relaxed viewing position...unless you watch TV standing)Note: ambient lighting also plays a roll but I will not get into it at this time and Recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle) are way to close @ 5.3 feet!
    Just my .02:whistling:

17. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

Thanks guys...I appreciate the input. And yeah, GreenDrake, now that you mention it, it is mounted a bit high. No big deal to lower it though.
    ...just got this helpful little chart emaild to me:
    http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-viewing-distance/

18. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I wanted a bigger TV than my 42" Plasma Ambilight Phillips and it was five years old, so I just gave it away then bought a Samsung PN 58B860 - which is a 58" plasma.

[​IMG]

We have a large family room so I could put the sectional sofa at any distance that we wanted from the screen. It turned out we liked the picture best when we placed the sofa 8-10 feet from the screen. Go figure.

19. therepublic

therepublic

I haven't bought a receiver in a while, but back when I purchased mine, a good brand with 3 HDMI ports would have been very expensive. Probably triple what I paid for mine. I'm sure the price has come down quite a bit in the last 4 years.

20. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I've got a 32" CRT TV. Maybe I'll step up to hi def in the next couple of years.