close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TV screen vs. Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Sep 30, 2004.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

What is the difference? Also, what do I need to do in order to show my computer screens on a TV?

Are TV's of a given size cheaper than monitors of the same size? If so, why not just use TV's in place of monitors?

TED

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

short answer: monitors have a whole lot more pixels.

3. Deathwind

Deathwind

Long answer:
    Standard Definition TV's have a resolution of 480i, that is, 640x480, and they technically only show 240 horizontal lines at a time. Terrible for most computer usage, text, etc., which is why standard resolution TV's aren't used for monitors. EDTV's (Extended Def) can show 480p (true 640x480 with 480 lines shown at a time). Most HDTV's can show 720p (1280x720) or 1080i (1920x1080, 540 horizontal lines). Most computer monitors have a maximum resolution somewhere between 1024x768 and 1600x1200, higher-end one's can go higher. In the high-end display market, usually the only real differentiating factor is how the display is advertised, or sometimes what kind of connectors it has. Large LCD displays are starting to show where the market for computer monitors and TV's converge, as many now have both computer inputs (VGA, DVI) and traditional TV inputs (RCA composite, S-Video, antenna). As for showing a computer's output on a TV, it all depends on what kind of inputs the TV has. If it's an HDTV, it should have connections capable of high-resolution such as component, VGA, DVI, or HDMI. If it's not, then it will probably only have RCA composite (the yellow cable that's just one plug) or S-Video (a plug that has a few pins inside it) inputs. You need to get a video card that supports the outputs you want, or something which can convert to the output you want.

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I output to my TV for video watching all the time, but there is no way I would use a TV as a monitor replacement.

My video card has s-video and composite outputs.

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

A tv cannot produce normal video at the resolution required to make it readable. I've tried it via S-Video, but it looks horrible. It's all blurry and the colors are off. For DVD it's ok, but DVD's are made to be viewed on a tv, computer programs are not.

6. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

On mine every time I switch to TV output I have to go into the device adjustments and change the flicker setting. It makes the display look progressive rather than interlaced.

7. frefoo

frefoo

I built a PVR that is connected to my TV with S-Video.

While it is great for watching TV. The display is very hard to read if I am looking at the Desktop.

If I need to do any work on that system I connect to it from my computer with a real monitor attached.

Dave

8. greenlead

greenlead

Many new TV's have digital input. Many video cards have digital output.

Point? My brother played Jedi Academy last year around Christmas on my gradmother's new TV. She freaked out! lol

Sure was nice showing her that all you had to do was switch inputs.

Anyways, it looked pretty cool, even across the room.