Turn Signal Light Bulb question

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Aug 10, 2005.

1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Is the turn signal light bulb in a m/c the same as an automotive-type 1156 bulb?

They look exactly the same, and a 1156 bulb fits and works in my Honda. But should I use it, or go buy a motorcycle-specific bulb? TIA.

2. WildWest N AZ

WildWest N AZ

As long as the #'s match it shouldn't be a problem,just to be safe cross check it with the service manual.

3. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

They're the same bulbs... sometimes people go for the higher intensity (2156?), but they don't seem to have the longevity of the lower watt bulbs.

Same stuff though.... and there's always LED, you'll never replace another.

4. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I really like the idea of an LED bulb, just not the price ;P

5. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

6. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Interesting link, but I don't know where your $7 figure came from.

1156 replacements on that site were $15-20 each, definately cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. The LED circuit boards will have to be glued into place in the lamp pods.

OK, cost: 4 required for my turn signals. They don't draw enough current to operate the stock flasher, so a $20 "load equalizer" will have to be wired in.

So about $100 to LED the flashers and it's not just an easy bulb swap. I like the idea technically, but that would buy a whole lot of standard 1156 bulbs.

7. WildWest N AZ

WildWest N AZ

Just go with Lockhart LED ones I dont think they need that extra junk?

8. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

Umm.. 10th bulb down (I mis-read the 8th bulb, so it's a few $$ different), direct replacement. And you can buy a replacement flasher relay (IF yours is thermal and not electronic/load independent) for about $10 at any auto parts store.

Sorry, I've done it myself, and helped a few dozen others on motorcycle forums that I moderate (so they can have more juice for driving lights, heated clothing, on board electronics, etc.)

And if you're concerned about cost, just save the original stuff and when/if you sell the bike, pull the LED stuff.

Anyway, your choice ~ I don't care and have no benefit. It just seems like you're trying to make excuses just for the sake of making them.

9. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

That one/style won't work for me due to the orientation of the bulb within the pod. It's not a unidirectional bulb like an incandescent one is.

I'd have to use one of the more expensive and non-drop-in "printed circuit" types.