close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey Temperature

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by IrvJr, Nov 24, 2006.

1. IrvJr

IrvJr

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

What temperature do you cook your turkey to (i.e., how do you tell when your turkey is done)?

I cooked mine yesterday to 180 Deg F in the thigh (per the manufacturer's recommendation) but that temperature seems kinda high.

For chicken, i normally roast a whole bird to 165 deg F (in the thigh).

2. noway

noway

mfg guideline is that just an GUIDE.

You can cook more or less depending on how much doness you need. I cook most everything to 165degs give or take. Like posted above thighs in most fowls will need more cooking time than let's say a wing so you can cooking more or less for the thighs or darkmeats to be done.

You also need to invest in a thermometer and take 2 readings , thigh and breast and if they are near 160degs or 165deg the bird is technically done. Pull it and wrap him up and get the wine, and veggies ready to go ;)

3. lwt210

lwt210

I took two turkey breasts on the bone to 175 and they were perfect.

They had been injected with a creole butter marinade and they practically sprayed juice when you would slice into them or bite a piece.

In the past, I have taken them to 180 but they never were this juicy. And I used the same brand (Publix) of turkey and brand of injectible marinade (Tony Checherons) so all that was consistant.

The only variable was the temp. And 175 is my new aim.