close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey soup... Any home style cooks out there...?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by PDogSniper, Jan 3, 2005.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

My mom, God bless her soul, when she was alive made the best turkey soup. Sometimes she made it from barley and sometimes she made it from noodles... I remember carrots, celery and I might put some corn in it (anyother suggestions?)...

I've never made soup before but want to do so for old times sake. I know I have to be careful with the barley as a little goes along way.

I saved and froze the carcass and giblets and while I won't put the liver and gizzard (maybe the gizzard will go in) in it the heart and neck will go in...

My quizicles are, once I simmer the carcass and seperate the meat from the bones, what do I do with the broth? Do I use all of it or dilute it with more water...? How much broth do I use with the rest of the ingredients...?

How do I judge the amount of liquid to use for the carcass...?

I'm a meat and potato's man so if anyone can give me some tips...?

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

how do you like your soup?

I tend to make it too thick then end up adding canned stock to make it soupy again.

Don't forget check (add) the salt at the end of cooking.

If you start soup with cold water it is said to remove more flavor from the bones.

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Ahhhh...turkey soup. :)

Here's my turkey soup method.

When I'm done eating from the carcass I place it in a large stock pot and cover the remains with cold water and toss in the giblet bag, half an onion, a celery stick, and a carrot stick.

Simmer until whenever.

I strain off the broth, discard the giblets and veggies, and pick the meat off the bones.

I place the meat back into the pot along with the broth and add several sliced carotts, several sliced celery stalks, one chopped onion, and a generous grind of black pepper.

Then again, I simmer until whenever.

when it's done to my liking I can add uncooked rice, or small pasta shapes (orzo, acini di pepe, ditalini) or I cook the pasta separately and add it to the soup.

A large handful of fresh parsley added at the end is also a nice touch.

There's no measuring and no definable quantities. whatever floats one's boat. :)

It's always good.

4. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

Pontificators recipe is pretty much on the money... make the stock, discard the deflavored veges then start the edible veges in. The only difference I like to do is for the second round, I put some oil (olive is good), high heat, add a small paddy of butter. Then put in a few cloves of smashed and chopped garlic and chopped onion and celery. I like to have some finely chopped carrot... carmarelize and saute until getting they are getting soft. Then you add back the meat, broth. Pasta/rice if you want. Season.

If you want a slightly different soup, you can added a small amount of chopped tomato during the saute and some tomatoe juice or puree (usually less than half a can). This will make it slightly more italian, but just as awesome :)

5. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

I make mine pretty much like the Pontif & 308, but I toss in a couple of bay leaves and use egg noodles. You can also (minus the egg noodles) cook it down or thicken it and toss in a pie crust and some peas for some TPP (turkey pot pie). A little bacon doesn't hurt.

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I knew there was something I was forgetting.... Thanks guys. I'm off work today so this should be fun...:)

7. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Well, it's done. Not to bad but it seems to be lacking something. I think it's because the Bay Leaves and Parsely may have been a bit on the old side.

I put in 3/4's of a onion,
    Parsely
    Carrots
    Celery
    and several Bay leaves...
    Salt and Pepper...
    Egg Noodles...

I should have used more water for the broth as it's bit on the thick side. And I might put a bit of green tobassco sauce in it next time...

One question I have is, Is Turkey soup as good for a cold and Chicken soup...? I hope so because all the bugs and cruds my gran'kids had last week in in my nose now....;Q

8. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

as the others posted here except I put in three onions, three carrots, and three pieces of celery.

When I chop the veggies, I leave the onion skins, celery leaves, and carrot stalks on. Why not? They add flavor and you take them out later anyway. Save yourself some time.

As far as how much water - just cover what's in the pot. I cook for "whenever" as duration also, but at least 90 minutes. I have never had it too watery. I've always had to add liquid at dinner time prior to adding the meal vegetables and meat. I just use water.