close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey-Choke and Shot selection??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Rancher, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Rancher

Rancher

Turkey season opens here on Monday. Forgot which choke I used last year. Still have the modified in my Benelli M2 which I used last November for phesant and quail. Should I stick with that or go to either the improved modified or full choke? Never got that "turkey" choke I had planned on.

Wal-Mart had a clearance on their shells last year and I got boxes of Winchester Supreme in 4,5, and 6 shot all 3 inch 1 3/4 oz. shells. Which is everyone's favorite?

Got my decoys ready and thankfully come Monday morning I just got about a 1/4 mile walk to my favorite spot. Can't wait even if it is supposed to be raining as our pastures sure need the moisture and I won't melt plus an added bonus of rain is it sure helps to keep things quieter while hunting as right now everything is going crunch.

Wanted to go out tonight and check my pattern at a few different distances so any advise on the choke and shot would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Rancher

2. noway

noway

As far as choke and shells go; YOU and YOUR gun would tell you what choke to you. You have to get outy and pattern it.

Nobody can do this remotely ;)

Good luck and post a photo and yoru bird online if you get one. I was out all morning today and saw bumpkus, nada, neigh,nilch,cero,etc... bird

:frown:

3. Rancher

Rancher

Decided on the full choke with no.5 shot. No.4 shot did OK but I had more pellets on the paper with the no. 5 shot.

Lot's of gobblin' out at sunset has my hopes pretty high. Turkey population is great around here and it's not much of a problem getting my 2. Usually try for a young jake for the table and then if I can't find a big tom will get another jake the last few days of the season.

Almost nothing better than a deep fried wild turkey!

Rancher

4. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

Nothing wrong with that choice. As close to perfect as I'm aware of.

5. agarr

agarr

That should be a good set up. Remember to let the bird close the gap. I try to let them get inside 30 yards and then kill them at the first opportunity.

Most birds that are shot at and lost are shot at too great a distance. Keep your head down on the stock, place the bead on his neck and squeeeeeze the trigger.

FWIW, in my Benelli, I am shooting a Kick's Gobblin Thunder Choke tube of .655 constriction and custom Nitro Ammo 1 7/8 oz 5x6 Nickel Lead duplex shells.

The Winchester shells are excellent by the way.

Hope you have a successful hunt!!

AG

6. Rancher

Rancher

Will finally have time in the morning to go hunting as ranch work has gotten in the way. We have a 3 week season here with a 2 bird limit.

Spring hunting hours begin 30 minutes before sunrise and stop at 1 p.m. and our season starts kind of late here IMO and this year we had a real hot spell a few weeks ago which I think is going to hurt me a bit. It's cooled back down to "normal" now which is nice cause 60 and 70 degree mornings just don't seem right when turkey hunting.

Everything is greened up so at least the concealment won't be much of problem. Can't believe I've yet to be out as I live where I hunt and my best spot for turkey is only about a 10 minute walk from the house.

Have yet to fail to bag my limit here. Just could not for some reason remember which dang choke I had used last year. It's only my third year hunting with 3 inch shells and a gun without a fixed choke.

I patterened my gun at 35 yards. Like to have them in around 30 or closer though before taking a shot.

agarr, how you like that choke? Had big plans to buy me a turkey choke but just never got around to it. Can you tell a big difference in the pattern with it compared to a full choke? The ones I've seen are not real expensinve so I figured I'd give one a try but was curious to know if they are worth the money.

Anybody else have an opinion on a "turkey" choke compared to just using a full choke? FWIW my barrel is 26 inches.

Rancher

7. agarr

agarr

I use the Kick's chokes in all my Turkey guns. Very tight, uniform pattern. Rhino Choke makes another excellent choke tube.

Use care in aiming, it increases the margin for error. However, you will absolutely smoke the target.

The key is using the right shells. The Winchester shells are good for factory. I have killed over 60 Longbeards with the custom shells I shoot from Nitro. They are specialized equipment. High velocity, heavy payload and the Nickeled shot makes for a Turkey head shredder...

www.nitrocompany.com

Have a great season.

AG

8. noway

noway

Until you get out and get a real life target and pattern it you will never know. I've seen so-call primium chokes actually give worst patterns and sometimes the tightest choke doesn't provide the idea pattern.

The attach photo is a 1 3/8oz 5.5 nickel-load from a BP shotgun done at 40yards with a .655 restriction choke. Plenty of shot in the vitals and kill zone, but I wouldn't try to do this on the most part due to it requires a steady hand/aim and a slight "being off" could lead to a lost or missed bird.

I was aiming for the head on this bird btw. If I had a slight shifting of my aim I would most likely, missed the bird 2 40yards.

;)