close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turbotax: anyone use it? Is it as easy as it claims?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rizzo, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

My wife and I have been having our taxes done by a national chain company. I won't mention the company by name, because I know this site frowns upon complaining about companies, but frankly, I'm sick of their price hikes every year.

Three years ago, it was $140 to do our taxes; two years ago it jumped up to $180, and last year they wanted $240, but I argued them down to $200. I feel a bit like a sucker for paying this much to have someone else do our taxes when I could just go down to Sam's Club and buy the Turbotax Deluxe Edition for $40.

Anyone here use Turbotax? If it's as easy as they claim, I sure wouldn't hesitate to use it, and save about $150 or so.

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Been doing TurboTax for years.

If you can read, you can do your own taxes. :)

3. jknight8907

jknight8907

Yes I do, and yes it is easy. Chain companies suck. They don't do anything Turbotax can't, and they usually aren't even liable for their errors.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. shorepoints

shorepoints

I've been using it for 10 years. I swear by it. Very thorough. It asks all the right questions. Let's say you own a house. It will ask about property taxes, etc. will also ask if you did the energy improvements, etc. Well worth it IMHO.

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

I use the online version and have for a few years. It is very simple for me - nothing to it really. I should add that my tax situation is quite simple however. I have a job and a house note - that's it. My only investment is a savings account. If I had multiple properties, multiple incomes, owned a flamingo farm or anything like that then I'd go back to using the family accountant.

6. nismochasse

nismochasse

I used it and found it pretty easy. It cost me $39 for the state and $50 for the federal tax returns. I sold some mutual funds last year though so it would be cheaper if you don't need the "premier investment" set up. Those prices also included X% off for having a USAA account.

7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Turbo tax user from my first computer in 1995, for the 94 tax year.

When I was an intern at a CPA, the partners all used turbo tax when interviewing the clients. Kid you not.

After I got to use TT, I never again saw why anyone had a need to pay a CPA or anyone to do my or anyone elses' taxes. Used it every year since, except some slow years where I was just an EZ filer and couldnt be bothered spending the money.

Its fine, really. You don't even have to pay for it. You can try it online or on the CD i think, and can delay purchase till you actually decide to go ahead and file.

8. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Used it for the first time this year and it was much easier then I expected. I wouldn't say my tax situation is complicated but I did buy a house, have children, have a HSA, 401k, etc, etc

9. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

If you don't have a super complicated, business type return to file it's very convenient. Use the online version, that way if you don't like the results you don't pay and it won't be filed.

Been using it since 2000. I had to use their online assistance for a tax question this year for the first time. They offer phone or chat so I opted for the chat. It took about 20 minutes but they answered the question using the IRS regs. I'm happy with it.

10. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Yes and yes. $40 at Best Buy, and done in an hour since all we have are typical itemizations like mortgage interest, etc. If your returns are more complicated, you'll maybe need the more advanced software, but I'm sure you'd still be able to handle it. Like Silver said, if you can read, you can do your own taxes.(some basic math skills would be useful, tho'. )

Go for it
    :wavey:

11. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Thanks for the info, fellas. I sho' can read, so I'll try it this weekend. :wavey:

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I used it the last couple years online.
    E filed and the IRS accepted it in a day or two.

I still have to pay enough to buy obama a new car.:upeyes:

13. Keyhole

Keyhole

Yes, especially if your financial situation is pretty straight forward.

14. sappy13

sappy13

its extremely easy. literally just input the information that it asks for.

15. DaneA

DaneA

Yes, use the online version though. No need to go through the trouble of installing a new edition every year.

16. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Been using the PC versions for over 20 years or so. I've found the TT Tax Deluxe version to provide the most value for a moderately detailed return. No Sched. C business stuff, but do have investments, etc, and detailed deductions.

Doubt if I'll change for a long time to come.

17. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

tt, 59 bucks...
    a few years ago we went to a big chain company..they used turbo tax to..it just had the name of the big company on it..
    :whistling:

18. Zonny

Zonny

Very user friendly.

19. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Keep an eye out for specials and sales. 3 weeks ago at Newegg I picked up TT Deluxe Federal + State + 1 Federal e-file for $40 and they tossed in a 16Gb flash drive for free.

20. evilspringer

evilspringer