Tuning a Glock with a compensator

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dorsai, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Dorsai

Dorsai Millennium Member

Smart men learn from their mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others. I'm shooting for wise if possible. Gen 3 Glock 19, Zev slide (price was cheaper than it would cost to mod the OEM) with a Faxon barrel and TBRC compensator. It ran fine without the compensator and runs well for a couple of mags until it heats up, then occasional stove pipes appear. I've heard that the pressure placed on the barrel by the compensator can affect the functioning and you have play with recoil spring weights. But I don't have the personal experience with compensators to be self diagnosis the issue and the solution. Complicating the issue is that it only happens when the gun gets warm. Hot enough that you don't want to hold onto the front half of the slide or touch the barrel.
    Assistance would be appreciated.

2. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

If you were a reloader you could specifically dial it in, and get everything out of your compensator it was capable of.

My personal load for a small comp is a 145gn poly bullet with a medium pistol powder like Unique (3.6gn) or N330 (3.4gn) with an 11lb recoil spring.

Even with that I needed the investment of a guide rod I could swap recoil spring weights with and test.

Your combination of various parts probably wont get you a specific solution (recoil spring, and ammo choice). So that's what you need to do. Buy multiple recoil spring weights (via non captured recoil rod), and try various ammo types.

Factory ammo wise, you probably want a faster and heavier bullet (or more powder factor).

When dialing in a comp and you are having problems your best bets is to use more powerful ammo, or reduce the recoil spring relative to the same ammo.

Once that is all figured out by trial and error, your're trapped looking for that ammo brand and type unless you load your own.

3. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

No doubt, power factor is the intended phrase.

That's a most important ammo characteristic for all ported and some compensated recoil-operated auto-pistols. Power factor is another name for bullet muzzle momentum. It directly determines slide assembly recoil velocity relative to the frame...the more the better for reliable cycling.

PF = Bullet Weight gr x Bullet Muzzle Velocity fps / 1000

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.
  5. Dorsai

Dorsai Millennium Member

Thank you everyone! Fix this one and then work on the G34 brass in the face and erratic reliability (Storm Lake barrel).

6. cowboy325

cowboy325

I run a 15 lb recoil spring with my comp and it runs like a champ. Some guys use 13 lb springs. See what works best for your situation.....

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Comps are for competition, specifically USPSA Open Division Major 9x19. That's a 165 power floor. I ran a G17L Major for years. Load was a 125 gr Montana Gold bullet at 1.175" OAL at 7.2 grains VVN350 with a 4 port Jaeger comp and a 15lb recoil spring. In order for a comp to work correctly, it needs a hot load, which means hand loading and using only new or once fired brass. Major 9x19 is not commercially available.

For a carry, gun, especially on a 9mm, comps are just a waste of time. You can better manage recoil with the correct grip.

watch the gun movement,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PYpR6SFTY

The SVI gun has less movement because of the greater weight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_uEZ9V9jkQ

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

Have you tried a 47021 ejector? It fixed all of my ejection issues in gen 3's.

9. usnret

usnret

For a comp to work correctly your load needs to also develop a lot of gas for the comp to use.

10. Dorsai

Dorsai Millennium Member

I was away for a bit so I apologize for the late reply. Thank you all very much!!

11. Dangeruss

Dangeruss

13lb spring work on all of my comped glocks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk