Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would changing my factory rod guide over to a Tungsten Guide Rod actually make a noticeable difference in muzzle flip on my G23 Gen4?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ultimately, getting grip right is the only thing that will make a difference with muzzle flip. The effect of a heavier guide rod is minimal but for competition shooters the minimal effect a little added weight makes, can make a difference. For the average Joe, not so much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good answer. I've never really been a parts changer unless something was just plain bad. Seems like every gun model out there has a list of all of the "improvement parts" that we just have to have.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
To answer the question: NO! Save your money and buy ammo and shoot a lot!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Would changing my factory rod guide over to a Tungsten Guide Rod actually make a noticeable difference in muzzle flip on my G23 Gen4?
It is possible to tune a Glock's slide velocity like is commonly done on 1911's and 2011's
An un-captured system is the most convenient but you can do it with a captured RSA as well.
Jager Products has the most developed RSA systems for Glock.
http://www.jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=35

Nic Taylor and his 2011 show how to tune.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI

·
19,026 Posts
I can only go by personal experience. Let's say a tungsten guide rod is 3000 times heavier than a plastic guide rod and a stainless steel guide rod is only 2000 times heavier. From my personal experience. when I switched from a plastic guide rod to a stainless steel guide rod, I experienced absolutely ZERO difference in muzzle flip, so I would speculate that a tungsten guide rod which is a lot heavier than a plastic guide rod but not that much heavier than a steel one, would not result in much difference at all in muzzle flip and if it does, my guess is that the result's would most likely be more psychological than physical but I can't say that for certain.

But there's an easy way to find out and it won't cost very much money. Buy a Tungsten guide rod and put it in your gun and see for yourself. It won't hurt the gun and then you's know. Please do so and post your results here.

I'm probably not the best person to ask since after shooting magnum handguns for years, I don't think ANY Glock has any muzzle flip worth even mentioning.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm probably not the best person to ask since after shooting magnum handguns for years, I don't think ANY Glock has any muzzle flip worth even mentioning.
It’s definitely there. Time yourself with the centerfire round and then with a .22 version of the same gun.

I’d be winning matches instead of just participating if I could control a 9mm like I do a .22.

·
I feel pretty.
3,954 Posts
It's more about balance. Some of my Glocks have tungsten, some are just SS rods. My 23 is tungsten.

Don't go too heavy, like an SJC weight, or lead filled flashlight. The Glocks lightweight and soft recoil, give it a speed advantage in transitions. Go too heavy and you're better off with a CZ or 2011.

·
MacGyver
7,598 Posts
It's like the difference between a ribbed, vs. non-ribbed condom-- the marketing on the packaging will guarantee better performance.
Lots of testimonials - no scientific proof that the human can reliably distinguish the difference beyond placebo effect.

Reactions: oldan
1 - 20 of 28 Posts