Tuna for a kitty cat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by UtahIrishman, Feb 2, 2010.

1. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

This may seem like a strange question but is tuna OK for a cat?

The reason I ask is we have a very old female cat, 15+ who is getting very finicky so my wife has been giving her tuna occasionally to whet her appetite.

However our vet told us that this is a no-no. That she should be only given cat food not human food. Yet most cat food seems to have seafood of some kind in it.

Personally I think the vet is full of it

Comments welcome

Thanks,
    UI

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. BrushyBill

BrushyBill

Tuna doesn't have all of the proteins that cats require, I think particularly taurine. It's fine as a treat, but cats can't live on it indefinitely. I'd try some other wet or gravy/pack cat food if that's what you'd be feeding primarily.

3. RLB

RLB

It actually pulls nutrients out of their systems. As a treat it is ok. Not for long term feeding.

4. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Interesting...I didn't know that...ok...I guess the vet isn't full of it :)

Thanks

5. Platz

Platz

You may consider talking to your vet about switching her to a higher protein, lower grain diet (example being Wellness Core) or something that's just all around really good quality such as Solid Gold. The higher protein will have a stronger scent and much more natural taste and should entice her to eat. It will also be packed with more nutrition in a smaller serving, so she won't have to eat as much to get what she needs.

I'm not as familiar with elderly cat nutrition as dogs, so I'd research this. I'd also talk to the companies (they generally have very good e-mail and phone reps) and not just your vet. Some vets are not advocates of high protein/low or no grain food. Get a few different opinions.

6. xbuceye

xbuceye

Try what my vet had me do. My older cat eats Gerber baby food. Chicken, ham and turkey. He won't eat the beef or the veal though. He stopped eating all the different foods I tried till she told me to try the baby food and he loves it. He eats a little Science Diet prescription food, but not much.

7. RLB

RLB

We had to do the Gerber baby food for our oldest female. She would not eat anything else. It is high sodium so make sure the water intake increases. We know use it as a treat.

8. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

hmm...the baby food sounds like an idea.
    A related problem that this poor old kitty is having is constipation. I'm thinking the baby food might help some there.

I think the high protein low grain diet that you mention Platz might work if it wasn't for her constipation problem.

She's good about drinking water....but that will be something to watch.

Thanks

9. goldenlight

goldenlight

One thing you can do is buy the tuna packed in water, and use the lid to squeeze the tuna flavored water out.

Pour a little of that over the food, and most cats will eat it.

Get used to eating tuna fish, because as others have said, it's bad for cats.

Best of luck with your cat! :wavey:

10. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I have dogs. I'm not too familiar with cat diets, but I would think that the sodium just by itself would be a big problem.

11. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

That's exactly what we've been doing and it works great. Cats can be such picky eaters sometimes.

Thanks for the tip