GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Never had a problem after thousands of rounds in my Glocks. If you don't reload, it's worth a look.

Reactions: cjcutter

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just bought 4 boxes to try it out. Ran fine through my G19 and G26, but had 3 rounds that didn't go bang in my SIG P228. I won't be buying any more.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Aren't Wolf and Tula pretty much the same ammo but under different brand names, especially the polymer coated cases?
At least for 7.62X39, Tula is steel core while Wolf is lead core. In my experience anyway. I like to shoot steel targets with my AK's so I look for Wolf so my targets will last longer.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Aren't Wolf and Tula pretty much the same ammo but under different brand names, especially the polymer coated cases?
It can depend on the caliber as to the differences. Different factories make Wolf and Tula ammunition. In my experience (and for a lot of people) Wolf works better and is less problematic than Tula.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I like their Perfecta line. It's made for them by Fiocchi in Italy. It's brass cased, clean shooting, on the hot side, so I suspect it's loaded to NATO/+P specs, and I just bought a bunch at Wally World for $9.74/box. That comes out to a little over 20 cents/round. It's excellent quality for the money, and has some fun muzzle flash to boot. I personally don't shoot steel cased ammo anymore after suffering a damaged extractor in one of my 1911's. That being said, a lot of people shoot the steel stuff without any issues.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
I've shot plenty of steel case ammo (Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear/Brown Bear/Black Bear/Purple Bear/whatever Bear) in both handguns and rifles of varied calibers 9mm, .45ACP, .223, .308, 7.62 commie, 9mm Mak, etc. Not in the tens of thousands of rounds but definitely thousands of rounds in combination thereof.

I have yet to have an issue and my guns work just fine.

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
WOLF Performance was an early importer of Tula (TCW-Tula Cartridge Works). TCW was the first to produce the Polyformance coated ammo for WOLF. Their Military Classic ammo is made by Ulyanovsk (last I checked).

Tula now has their own U.S. importer, Tulammo.

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
At least for 7.62X39, Tula is steel core while Wolf is lead core. In my experience anyway. I like to shoot steel targets with my AK's so I look for Wolf so my targets will last longer.
Neither brand or any manufacturer is importing steel core 7.62x39 as BATFE has ruled that such ammo is armor piercing handgun ammo, and just recently the 5.45x39 with the penetrator tip has also been deemed AP handgun ammo and can no longer be imported into the U.S.

Nearly all Russian made 7.62x39 use bi-metal (mild steel) bullet jackets.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
$11/box (50 round) for 9mm Tulammo, right now, is a ripoff. Do not pay that.

The $10/box Aluminum case Federal at Walmart is one of the better deals available in person by the box. You can order online and get even better ammo for just a little bit more, about $215-$240 per 1,000 shipped for the likes of Speer Lawman, PPU, Fiocchi, RWS Geco, etc.

When Tulammo handgun ammo is the least expensive available I will buy it. It has run fine in my Glocks as have the various "Bear" steel case commie rounds. But it is dirtier and isn't particularly hot and the cases can't be saved to eventually reload or give to a reloader so I tend to avoid it unless it's a really good deal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've used a ton of steel case 9mm in my Glocks.....never, ever, ever had a problem with it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
$11/box (50 round) for 9mm Tulammo, right now, is a ripoff. Do not pay that.

The $10/box Aluminum case Federal at Walmart is one of the better deals available in person by the box. You can order online and get even better ammo for just a little bit more, about $215-$240 per 1,000 shipped for the likes of Speer Lawman, PPU, Fiocchi, RWS Geco, etc.

When Tulammo handgun ammo is the least expensive available I will buy it. It has run fine in my Glocks as have the various "Bear" steel case commie rounds. But it is dirtier and isn't particularly hot and the cases can't be saved to eventually reload or give to a reloader so I tend to avoid it unless it's a really good deal.
I bought the last box of federal aluminum. This was the next cheapest thing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I haven't bought any in over 10 years. Back then you could expect a few light loads and it being very dirty. Not sure about anything made this century.

I have gotten some boxer primed Tulammo 9mm brass in my inventory. I keep it segregated. I started with 49 and only 46 made it for the first reloading. It is now on it's second reload and I now have 41. I am using a "middle-of-the-road" load with this brass trying not to over-stress it. I was just curious on how durable it was compared to Blazer, WIN, or any of the other brass I have. It is failing at a much higher rate than anything else. I believe if I loaded it towards the +P range it would all fail.
I have reloaded the Tulammo boxer brass 2 times now. I shot the second round of reloading through my G26 and Taurus 92. Every last round has the Glock Smile. You can tell which brass was shot in witch weapon as the Taurus Smile is smaller but just as pronounced as the the Glock rounds. This was a fairly low pressure load that should have held up quite well. I did run them through the re-sizer and just threw it all in the trash as the case bulge is below the area that hits the sizer die. It will not pass the plunk test unless it is oriented correctly. Test is over - It is a waste of time.

Ammo from Tulammo may work but it is at the extreme low end of quality.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
It is cheap, dirty, stinky, inconsistent and steel. But if nothing else to shot I will get it anyway.
same here.
used 7.62x39, .223. also bought their primers for pistol and revolver plinkers. it is cheap and it goes bang.
for anything important, I use better, and that means American (even my own reloads in cases other than related to self defense) but both Wolf and Tul work.

·
Federal Member
29,224 Posts
I have had bad luck with Tula. Seems only the rounds with rocks for primers, find there way to me.

No Tula for me.

:cool:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts