GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sad outcome. It's hard to believe he was wearing a life jacket when tossed from the boat.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Prayers for his family and friends. :fallenofficer:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Young kid, early in his career. First LODD for the tribe, sixth LODD in the state this year.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Young kid, early in his career. First LODD for the tribe, sixth LODD in the state this year.
His partner's father was the on duty Sgt. at the time. Was on the phone with his son when they were capsized

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Prayers for the Cortez family and the Tulalip PD.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
My dad was on the hospital ship Benevolence when it was struck and sank just off SF Bay. People drown. Hypothermia, lack of conditioning. At night. No one died in the collision itself. So cold in the water that wearing a life preserver may not be enough.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My dad was on the hospital ship Benevolence when it was struck and sank just off SF Bay. People drown. Hypothermia, lack of conditioning. At night. No one died in the collision itself. So cold in the water that wearing a life preserver may not be enough.
Life jackets do aide in recovery though.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
His partner's father was the on duty Sgt. at the time. Was on the phone with his son when they were capsized
Ahh, geez . . .

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Life jackets do aide in recovery though.
I read his account. It ends with him lifting a drowned sailor up to a rescue craft. Yes, the dead float better with a life jacket.

Coast Guard started an investigation and the navy said back off. Insufficient life boats and not secured. Radar out. Speeding through the fog.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I read his account. It ends with him lifting a drowned sailor up to a rescue craft. Yes, the dead float better with a life jacket.

Coast Guard started an investigation and the navy said back off. Insufficient life boats and not secured. Radar out. Speeding through the fog.
I didn't see anything about the Navy. Not sure why the Navy is sticking their nose in a Coast Guard matter.

I find it odd that there was fog with high winds...they usually dissipate the fog. Even with the high winds I've seen on the Columbia river during my time in the Coast Guard, I've never seen a rouge wave. That's not to say wind driven waves can't catch you off guard. Down at the bar is different. I guess it makes for better sensationalism in reporting. No matter...I feel bad for his family and department. Maybe they'll get better training.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I'm not sure how radar would have helped. You probably can't see the waves on radar. The life boats may not be any help if they are secured to the ship when it capsizes. Being on a ship in cold water is about like being in a spaceship. Survival outside the ship is measured in minutes. It takes a brave officer to go out in conditions that are deadly if you wind up in the water. That's above and beyond.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not sure how radar would have helped. You probably can't see the waves on radar. The life boats may not be any help if they are secured to the ship when it capsizes. Being on a ship in cold water is about like being in a spaceship. Survival outside the ship is measured in minutes. It takes a brave officer to go out in conditions that are deadly if you wind up in the water. That's above and beyond.
They should have left it to people that train for and in those conditions, and have the equipment to do it. A 24ft boat doesn't belong in conditions like that.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Prayers sent!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'm not sure how radar would have helped. You probably can't see the waves on radar. .
Agreed. However, the purpose of radar was to see other ships. Struck by cargo boat. In the fog.

This was a shakedown cruise. However, the navy put a full complement of doctors and nurses on board.

ttps://www.mercurynews.com/2012/08/23/uss-benevolence-a-ship-lost-at-sea-and-in-time/

My father wrote that the ship was speeding and he had just come up on deck.

Despite the news article, the captain suffered no career damage.

The shipyard was under pressure to get the ship out of mothballs and functioning. This led to a full complement of medical personnel. However, understand that as the seaman said to the reporter, it was only sea trials and there was no reason to have a full complement of medical personnel on board.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts