Tuition-free college is now a reality in nearly 20 states

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by RussP, Aug 22, 2019.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Tuition-free college is now a reality in nearly 20 states

Published TUE, MAR 12 2019 9:11 AM EDT UPDATED MON, MAR 18 2019 10:34 AM EDT

Over the last decade, the average tuition and fees at private four-year schools rose 26 percent. It’s even worse at four-year public schools, where it has jumped 35 percent during that period. Yet for many prospective students, free college is becoming a reality, as more states adopt scholarship programs to increase enrollment and accessibility.

These so-called promise programs typically offer college students two years of free tuition at participating state community colleges or other associate-degree programs and vocational schools. Most are what’s known as “last dollar” scholarships, meaning the program pays for whatever tuition is left after financial aid and grants.

Eleven states — Oregon, Nevada, Arkansas, New Jersey, Maryland, Tennessee, New York, Rhode Island, Delaware, Kentucky, and Indiana — already have these programs in place and nine more are working on legislation to do so.​
    ############
    Not a lot at the link, but it explains a little more...

2. Silvertiger27

Silvertiger27

It's not free. It's paid by taxes. Not that leftists ever had any qualms with stealing other people's money...or property, or freedom, or lives.

Is there any analogy that could possibly dumb the concept down enough for the negative leftist intellect to comprehend? Is it that hard to understand that things are paid for with money, and that money belongs to people? That the state is not a private company, it doesn't do anything for "free," all that money is money stolen from the people.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not only is college NOT free, but they are destroying the value of a college education for everyone who has it, whether they paid for it or not.

A degree is only as valuable as it is rare and in demand.

mike from st pe, fx77 and slamdunc like this.
  4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I agree with first part. But IF you learned something. A degree has value even if others have one.

I might agree that it has not helped me. That I didn't learn much in college. (Compared to costs, time...). I felt the degree would help me get better jobs. But I soon wound up being the boss so it didn't matter.
    College was fun and all. Honestly only a couple classes helped me in life over OTJ stuff.

slamdunc likes this.
  5. fx77

fx77 CLM

Value of College
    Was a waste of time..all it did was prepare me for Grad School where the subject matter REALLY counted. 90% of the college crap (I only had 2 years) was nonsense.

mike from st pe likes this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

College is not for learning. If you want to learn, that doesn't cost a penny, since we have public libraries. College is for having somebody process you through a bunch of classes to get a degree, because it is necessary for a job (or because you have money to burn and just want to hang it on your wall). Learning is only a minimal side effect, unless you just coincidentally want to learn about the subject of your degree.

If you quit a week before graduation, your learning would be be affected. If you passed all of the tests and graduated without knowing or understanding anything, as most seem to do, your degree would not be affected.

If 50,000,000 people were certified master electricians, there would be exactly the same total number of electrical jobs to do, but an electrician's pay would be set by the minimum wage law. Same goes for brain surgeons.

7. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

8. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Just add two years to high school, six years instead of four.

9. JFrame

JFrame

As others have noted, "Free" is undoubtedly the biggest of all lies put forth by the government.

robhic likes this.
  10. kerbie18

kerbie18

I've been saving money for my two girls to go to college since before one of them was even born. Now, I'm one year away from the eldest going to college, and 4 years away for the youngest.

Despite my best efforts, I just don't have enough money for both of my daughters. I have failed....

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Well, since everyone here is an economic genius and hate Milton Freedman, I guess they will take Liz Warren’s side on free college versus Freedman’s. He was right 35 years ago and his argument still right today.

Should Higher Education Be Subsidized

View: https://youtu.be/w3-_r_t7AZU

12. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

In Tennessee it is paid by the lottery. The original intent of the lottery failed because the scholarships required the student to get a C. That's not easy for those inner city types coming out of the Memphis school system.

13. MFC4

MFC4

I am not necessarily opposed to subsidizing education, but there should be a return on the public’s investment. All potential student should have to meet specified requirements and merit based.

All of the gender studies majors and other useless degrees should not be covered.

Additionally, trades and other useful skills should be an option.