close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tube TVs. Good Riddance!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, May 28, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

One of the last 2 tube TVs in the home died this week. I swapped it out with my sons old 27 inch tube TV that was going to Goodwill for the time being.

The one that died was an RCA at least 37 inches. That SOB is probably 2 feet thick and feels like it weighs 100 pounds!

Good riddance. That will be AK fodder soon.

The other tube TV left is in my daughters room. It's a Sony 19 inch that us probably 25 years old. It refuses to die. Great picture and sound.

2. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

They're getting pretty rare.

In the evenings, when we walk the dogs in my hood, we're always leering into people's livingroom windows to check out their decor (from the sidewalk, not like we're spying).

I don't think I've seen a single tube TV in a couple of years.

3. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Could be more than 100lbs. When I bought my 32" Sony Vega, the box said it weighed 175lbs. It's a pain to move!

4. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I had a 30 inch tv a roomate bought & decided he didn't want, got it real cheap. I could barely move it by myself, not only heavy but just awkwardly shaped!

The last apartment I had I left it there and some friends went and got it, last I heard it was being used as a 2 year old's Nick Jr tv.

But OP, you will soon miss these heavy beasts when your fancy flat screen tvs start going out every 3 years, or need a new power relay/lamp/whatever every 2 years.

And finally, shooting tvs is bad for the environment, mkay?

5. Dragline

Dragline

We had a 34" widescreen HD Sony CRT set that we got rid of 5 years ago. When we bought it new that TV ruled!

The thing did weigh close to 200lbs. but man it had a great looking picture.

6. AA#5

AA#5

"Great picture and sound," eh? HAHA. When I got a Sony Trinitron, I said "who needs a flat digital TV when this picture is great?" Then I walked in a friend's house & he was watching a Sony digital rectangular TV & I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the picture. After that, I couldn't stand to look at the Trinitron.

7. AA#5

AA#5

Sony 40" fancy flat screen - 6 yrs. No problems
    Sony 32" fancy flat screen - 4 yrs. No problems.

8. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Oh, tube TVs. The flicker and high pitched squeal that most people don't notice but that cause me physical pain. The terrible picture quality. The ridiculous weight combined with not only fragility but danger once broken. And don't dare open one up without discharging it first, lest you court death.

I hate them and I hope they all die.

9. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I'm gonna have to get rid of the rest of mine...

They were relegated to guest rooms, where they go unused even when there are guests.....

They're just takin' up space.... Guess I should round 'em up and head 'em out .....

10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Actually, its just bad for the TV.

But the TV was already bad, hence the firing squad.

And the sentence of the court must be carried out.

There ARE no appeals.

11. Restless28

Restless28

I like the way you roll.

I think I'll take the last remaining booze and execute it as well.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Heck now a days with all this streaming, net flix and heck you can watch shows on tv studios website now so I know people who dont even own a tv or have cable any more. They just pay their subscription fee or whatever and use their computers.

:50cal:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  13. Paul53

Paul53 Authorized SKYNET Distributor.

I have a slide rule I will show my grandkids some day. Anybody still have or use a typewriter? There's an industry that died quick thanks to computers. Vacumn tubes went fast with the exception of the picture tubes in the few remaining tube sets. LEDs are fast replacing light bulbs too. Pretty soon we'll be using Glock Light Sabres!

14. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I have a slide rule, hangs over my desk....

I tell the youngsters 'It's for in case of power failure' .......:whistling:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  15. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

We have one monstrous one left in the garage, 32 inch screen I believe it is. Got rid of the rest of them. I would like to get rid of it too, but I don't really wanna spend any money to buy a tv that is so rarely used.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

I keep one on my desk, just because. Every once in a while I'll use it for grins.

I own a couple of watches with slide rule bezels, too.

17. method

method

When I moved back in the first week of March, I picked up the 32" tube TV I'd been using, and promptly put it down on the floor. I decided right then I'd rather go without a TV for awhile than lug that stupid thing out to the truck.

I joined the 21st century shortly thereafter, and got a 42" LCD that I was able to carry under one arm.

I've heard Goodwill and other thrift stores won't even accept CRTs anymore, because no one buys them.