close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TSG-22 .22LR Conversion Range Report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Foxtrotx1, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Summery: FUN ON A BUN. :cool: Should have brought a cleaning kit.

[​IMG]

More photos of the unit from a previous thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358047

Lubed "wet." Avoided striker channel, no need to attract goop there.

First 200 hundred rounds:

Unit fresh out of box, lubed as above.

CCI Mini Mags.

0 Fail to Feed.
    4 Fail to Fire. (See Below)*
    0 Fail to Extract.

*Strikes were so-so. Hard to call them good. But not bad. Gonna blame the gun for those. They fired a second time through.

Note: Unit not cleaned before switching to Federal Auto Match.

Next 100 rounds:

Federal Auto Match

Many Fail to feed.
    3 to Fire.
    Many Fail to extract.

Upon examination I noticed right away what the issue was. The breech face and extractor were coated in brass and powder gunk. I had almost forgotten how dirty .22 pistols get.

After cleaning out the gunk under the extractor all of the extraction issues cleared up immediately.

The failure to feeds however were harder to diagnose.

The rounds were seated properly in the mag. However the rounds would not even come out of the mag by thumb pressure.

The cause of this was a layer of wax built up around the feed lips. The thick wax deposits clung to the automatch bullets. When the wax build up was removed the problem went away.

I think this wax build up could have been mitigated or avoided by using the thumb button on the side of the mag to slip rounds in, rather than forcing them against the spring pressure. Further testing required to validate that theory.

Brass "smiles" Due to 6 oclock cut in the chamber to increase feed reliability, your brass will be bulged in that area. Tac Sol confirmed this via phone. But hey, it's not like you can reload it anyway :supergrin:

Tac Sol also said that the federal automatch has been giving them problems of late. Ill talk to them more about this tomorrow hopefully.

Oh, BTW, they have great CS. They called back right away after I left a voice mail. Very willing to talk. One of the engineers left a voice mail for me.

Switching between the 9mm upper and .22 upper was easy. I noticed an improvement in my shooting with the 9mm as well. More aware of trigger control after using the .22 upper.

Tac Sol recommends a 500 round break in from what I understand. So, not quite there yet. Expect an update at around 1000 rounds in the next 2 weeks.

No range photos, forgot the camera :crying: Next time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. Glock40man

Glock40man

Cool, it sounds like that kit may be be better than my AA for the 26/27. That thing had every type of malfunction imaginable.(multiple times) I might have to invest in a Tac Sol kit. Thanks for the report.

3. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Despite the issues with the fed auto match, I haven't had that much fun shooting in a while.

Bring a tooth brush to the range to scrap gunk from time to time!

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Direct comparisons to an AA kit?
    Example: Weight simulates actual full size weight AA-/TS+

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

I can't compare to the AA kit. But I can tell you that the TS slide is steel and compares well to an actual GLOCK upper. The TS is lighter, but not too much lighter. Maybe a few ounces off my G34 upper.

6. bruzer

bruzer

Excellent range report. I have an email out to Tactical Solutions after my 500 rounds yesterday. I like happy endings so my range report is still in the works. 3 hours of shooting .22 is still a blast so all is well for now.
    Mike

7. pistolcompetitor

pistolcompetitor

I've been running my TSG-22 on the dry side and looks like that's not the way to go-- I'm at about 700 rounds and using CCI mini-mags I still get about 1-2 FTF's and 1-2 misfeeds for every 50 rounds. As mentioned, due to the the gunk that quickly builds up, I end up cleaning the whole assembly every 200 rounds.

Foxtrotx1-- when you lube, what do you use and where do you put it? For example, on the receiver rails? On the sides of the TSG barrel hood? Under the surface where the ejector makes contact with the block that holds the firing pin/extractor/firing pin safety? Everywhere except the firing pin channel?

Excellent thread, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

I used Rem Oil for the very reason many hate it. It's a super light oil. Evaporates quite a bit. Less gunk than a thicker or long lasting oil. Basically I oiled the the barrel hood, barrel, rails and roof of the slide. If you see wear in the bluing or melonite, I oiled it.

When I broke the kit down at home the striker channel was pretty clean. The striker was also pleasantly clean apart from the very tip which was collecting crap off the breech face.

Honestly, the kit came pretty clean with just a dry tooth brush. Next range trip I'm going to scrub the breech face with the tooth brush every 200 rounds. Also, the magazine feed lips. wax build up seemed to make the rounds nosedive.

9. gorenut

gorenut

Thanks for the report. This is the first one I've read that has been mostly positive.

I just got an AA one recently and it has run with zero failures what-so-ever using CCI Mini Mags and Remington 550 bulk ammo. I do like it, but the lightness of it does bug me. I'd like to train with something closer to the actual weight of my gun. I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

10. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

I will keep updating the thread. Been so busy it's been a tough week to fit in the range.

11. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Went to the range today with the conversion kit. Worked well until dirty. Cleaned it up. Worked well until the unit began having failures to feed. round would hang up inside the chamber.

Thats when I noticed the chamber mouth was chipped at the 3 o'clock. Right at the extractor relief where the metal is thin. Quite a jagged chip. It was pretty clear this was causing feeding issues. Also, chamber mouth is dented at the 12 o'clock position. Presumably from all the stove pipes.

Did I get a soft barrel or something? I think a pot metal barrel would be more durable at this point. Disappointing to say the least. Will give tac sol a chance to make this right. email went out this morning.

12. ViperR

ViperR

I don't think the barrel pot metal. I think your barrel has a mishap in the hardening & tempering process and your kit was shipped either in the the 'annealed' condition or 'hard' condition. Annealed metal is to make machining doable without being hard on the tooling. It is then hardened and then tempered/drawn down to the proper Rockwell hardness. Your barrel might have slipped past QC.
    There is also the possibility that barrel was hardened, but skipped the tempering. We would need to see pics to make sure.
    Annealed would have the contact points bend and deform from the metal being soft. Where as, hardened but not tempered would have the contact points chip away because hardened metal is is as fragile as glass.

13. cole

cole Millennium Member

That sucks. Thanks for beta testing. My AA kit is back at AA for repair. That sucks, too. Keep up posted.

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Are you dryfiring a bunch? I doubt lead and brass dented the barrel. As for the extractor cut, I had a Butler Creek barrel that wasn't fully cut for teh extractor; ended up having a gunsmith recut it. I bet some light file work fixes that extractor area problem.

15. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

It has to be dry fired in order to remove the slide. But now that you mention it, that is what the 12 o clock mark has to be.

Ill call TS tomorrow and let you know whats up.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

You can put an empty cartridge in and dry fire it, or a piece of thin cardboard; that is what I do with my AA kit. I only take it apart about every 550 rounds unless it has remained unfired for a long time between range sessions.

I was really wondering about serious, 100 pull dry fire sessions.

17. seancares

seancares

i would never dry fire a rimfire weapon

im positive thats your problem

18. gorenut

gorenut

I jam a spare foam earplug in there when I pull the trigger disassemble my AA conversion kit.

Thanks for the update. I think I'll hold out for a lil longer for them to work out any more bugs. AA has been around for a while and it seems like for their product.. its gotten as good as it'll get for now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  19. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

From what I read in this thread,this TSG-22 is not anymore reliable than my AACK, which is a piece of crap any.

I am a bit disappointed. Was looking forward to get TSG. Now, back on square one again.

20. gorenut

gorenut

Why is your AA a piece of crap? Are you firing the correct ammo? Mine has been near flawless with Remington 550 bulk ammo and CCI Mini Mag.

I did polish mine and I always run it well lubed. You should contact AA if you have issues with yours.