TSA Employee Prank

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bennwj, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

I wonder why this person is not in jail? I'm sure if I did this to another passenger as "a joke" I would face criminal charges.

TSA Worker Fired After Pulling Prank on Student at Airport

Saturday , January 23, 2010

PHILADELPHIA —

A college student returning to school after the winter break fell victim to a prank at Philadelphia's airport by a Transportation Security Administration worker who pretended to plant a plastic bag of white powder in her carryon luggage.
    The worker is no longer employed by the TSA after the incident this month, a spokeswoman said.

Rebecca Solomon, 22, a University of Michigan student, wrote in a column for her campus newspaper that she was having her bags screened on Jan. 5 before her flight to Detroit when the employee stopped her, reached into her laptop computer bag and pulled out the plastic bag, demanding to know where she had gotten the powder.

In the Jan. 10 column for The Michigan Daily, she recounted how she struggled to come up with an explanation, wondering if it was bomb-detonating material slipped in by a terrorist or drugs put there by a smuggler.

"He let me stutter through an explanation for the longest minute of my life," Solomon wrote. "Tears streamed down my face as I pleaded with him to understand that I'd never seen this baggie before."

A short time later, she said, the worker smiled and said it was his.

The worker "waved the baggie at me and told me he was kidding, that I should've seen the look on my face," she said.

Solomon said she asked to speak to a supervisor and filled out a complaint, and during that process was told that the man was training TSA workers to detect contraband. Two days later, she said, she was told he had been disciplined.

"I had been terrified and disrespected by an airport employee," she said. "He'd joked about the least funny thing in air travel."

There was no answer Saturday at a telephone listing for Solomon at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. An e-mail message seeking comment from her was sent Saturday by The Associated Press, and a telephone message was left at her parents' home in suburban Philadelphia.

TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis told The Philadelphia Inquirer she did not dispute the student's account and said the employee was no longer with the agency, though she declined to say whether he had been fired or quit. She also declined to identify the worker or his job title, citing privacy laws.

"TSA viewed this behavior to be completely inappropriate and unprofessional," Davis said in a statement. "The employee was immediately disciplined by TSA management at the Philadelphia airport."

TSA representatives did not return calls Saturday seeking comment.

2. jwitagauge

jwitagauge

I am pretty surprised about this as well it's not really funny with recent events I would be suing

3. bennwj

No kidding. You would think that the TSA employee was told at some point in his training that practical jokes on passengers were not allowed. Hell, if a passenger would have done the same thing we would be hearing about it on the news for 48 straight hours.

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Reason #379,521 to despise TSA.

6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Not a smart move, but she is a melodramatic twit.

7. bennwj

It seems I am guilty of a Jambog.....but I DID search for it. Amazing stupidity on the part of an employee of an organization that is supposed to keep us safe in the sky.....

8. bennwj

I will stop short of saying I despise them, but they do need to hire a few more competent folks. I never have had so many crappy experiences with one organization. They make the post office on christmas eve seem appealing.

9. Ragnar

Ragnar

Go here for some real laughs. TSA runs a blog where they try to spin things to make themselves look good, but they keep screwing up.

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/

10. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Just wait until TSA employees get collective bargaining rights like most other federal gov't employees. You'll never be able to get rid of them even when they do something as stupid as this.

The govvies where I work at have way too much of lackadaisical attitude towards security related matters to the point that I find it absolutely disgusting! What the govvies get away with would have contractors like me fired or at least seriously reprimanded immediately. :steamed: Oh, and I work in the intelligence community if that gives you any idea of where I'm coming from as far as my own perspective on security related matters.

11. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

12. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. bennwj

"Blogger Bob" as he calls himself is an idiot. That blog is priceless and is now one of my bookmarks.

I found this on the blog and thought it was funny. It seems that the "blame the other guy" mentality is deeply entrenched there.

"They have uniforms with the Department of Homeland Security patch and some people automatically assume they are TSA officers since they’re working in an airport capacity. TSA and CBP officers have different uniforms. The CBP uniform is navy blue, while the TSA uniform is more of a royal blue."

Is should have gone on to add, "But our employees are much more rude and incompetent":rofl:

14. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Naw, like I said, my title did not really mention TSA or the idiot screener/trainer.

15. p.d.

p.d.

Don't blame the idiot involved, it's all part of the systemic failure, don't ya know. :supergrin:

16. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

Unless you've seen something about this I haven't, there is no melodrama I'm detecting here. That kid probably saw her life go down the drain in that minute or two. I'd be pressing for that little bastard to pay big time...

17. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

That guy is an ******* (a-hole), and a cruel one at that. I don't think that firing or quitting is enough in this case and hope that someone is investigating the possibility of criminal charges. I've always heard that it was against the law to joke about having a bomb when going through these security checks and if that's so I think that this "prank" falls into that category.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

TSA person should go to jail.

19. snair

snair

yep they have got to be the biggest bunch o rejects ive ever seen

20. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

If that were my daughter, we'd be lawyering up right now.

Not funny, at all.

I'm not big on the whole "mental anguish" thing, but when you've been told over and over again that the screening area is no place to joke, I'm sure that kid though she was going straight to jail.