TSA Case Project - Flying with Handguns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DADoser, Oct 18, 2018.

1. DADoser

DADoser

I wanted a sturdy secure case I could fly with (insure getting thru TSA) when flying to TX to shoot with some family members who are just now getting into shooting/self-defense.

Did a lot of internet research to see what options are out there. Decided to look at Craigslist/OfferUp, etc to see if I could save any money.

Found a guy who had a Nanuk 923 (cubed foam) case for $50 -new with tags never used. (Cost is $182.13 on Amazon.) Finally got around to customizing the foam and setting it up the last 2 nights. Original thought was to set it up for a G19, single stack EDC, and a Ruger SP101 3" .357. After giving it some thought - decided it was best for me to only drag one caliber across state lines - so thought "What are the basics I need to take?"

I set it up and cut the foam for the following: Glock 19; Sig P365; Walther PPS or Glock 43; 4 - Glock 19 magazines, 4 Walther PPS or Glock 43 magazines, 3 - 12 round Sig P365 magazines; Ear protection; 20 round box of self-defense/carry ammo. Room to add an additional single stack magazine later - but may be unnecessary. (Eye protection and holster can go is regular luggage.)

Case will travel within another piece of checked luggage.

Not too bad for $50 and a little thought/time -
    TSA Case 1.JPG TSA Case 2.JPG TSA Case 3.JPG TSA case 4.JPG TSA case 5.JPG TSA case 6.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    slamdunc, MrMr1961, jimcorbin and 9 others like this.
  2. GlockBill

GlockBill

Nice job!

DADoser likes this.

3. Current Resident

Current Resident

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Keep in mind, they will want you to show they are cleared at the counter. This can be a bit of a hectic and stressful deal. I packed my mags in with socks and placed my slides in the magazine slots last time I flew.

DADoser likes this.
  5. B C

B C

This is one of my favorite TSA gun pics around the interwebs

PTRKv4s.jpg

Attached Files:

DADoser and Morgo like this.
  6. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I have that same backpack

B C likes this.
  7. GWG19

GWG19

Nice set up.
    I have a pelican case that has a bunch of flight time.
    The previous case was an aluminum one. Baggage handlers beat the crap out of it.
    The pelican is still in one piece, just scrapes on it.

DADoser likes this.
  8. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

Never fly, but was under the impression that ammo has to be in a separate bag?

9. Commo

Commo

DADoser, MrMr1961 and Taroman like this.
  10. DADoser

DADoser

I flew AZ to Houston, TX early Sept. this year. Took my 43, 2 magazines (empty - not as pictured), and the box of Gold Dot in a small MTM case w/ 2 padlocks. Flew American there, Frontier back. American Airlines counter person told me ammo could go in luggage if I wanted, just needed to be in original box (not loose.). Holster thrown in luggage.

huston sept 18.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Taroman likes this.
  11. DADoser

DADoser

I've flown with handguns 3 times in my life (so far).
    • First time in 2010 - Evansville, IN to Phoenix, AZ. My father had passed - bringing 3 guns of his back to AZ. 3 separate locked hard cases - no issues.
    • Phoenix, AZ to St Louis - 2016? - bringing a revolver that belonged to my grandfather to my cousin for him to hand down to his son. No ammo. - No issues.
    • Sept 2018 - EDC w/ammo. Case I had only locked on one side (S&W blue plastic case - pictured below). Bad choice - as case cannot be pried open - even if the gun cannot be removed. Airline had an issue with it, but AA counter person and TSA had my back, altered the case and put an additional lock on it so it would get through. Bought the MTM case above for the return trip - no issues.
    As long as you follow the guidelines, my limited experience flying with firearms has been relatively easy and good. Each airline may have some slightly different rules - but look at their website, follow their guidelines, and one should be good.

DSCN1176.JPG

12. DADoser

DADoser

How big is the Pelican? Do you check it as a single, separate bag or do you travel with it inside another piece of luggage?

13. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Every Airport has a diff way of doing it, on top of that every baggage check desk will have a diff agent processing - some will be very experienced, others not so much. Have a chamber flag inserted in all guns. Tape the ammo boxes, mags so they don't dump out. Always a fun time flying. Good luck, get there early.

BTW, I have flown several times, and never have I been asked to show clear (which is good, since that would involve a passenger handling the weapon in a crowded airport), nor asked to unlock the case the pistols were inside of.

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

A hard case inside a regular luggage case is always a better option- not so obvious that it is a gun carrier. 50 pounds adds up quick when traveling with tactical gear (mags, flashlights vests, belts, knee pads, etc...Most will take up alot of space, so be comfortable in paying for another piece of luggage just for your undies and eveningwear.

R_P_K_ likes this.