Trying to talk my uncle into selling me his Union Switch and Signal

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NVMYGlock, Mar 26, 2010.

1. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

Hello all. I have been hinting around to my uncle that I am interested in his Union Switch and Signal 1911 and would like to buy it or trade for it, however, he will not give me a straght answer. He says "well, its my only .45". He may very well not want to part with it, which is understandable, or he may want his son to have it. He bought it in the 40's or fifties he said, but he doesn't remember where he bought it. He also said that he blew the barrel that was in it when he bought it out (whatever that means), so it does not have the original High Standard barrel. Not sure if the mag is original either. I am interested in it for three reasons. One is because it was his and he is getting up there in age and I would like to have one of his possesions that we both had a common interest in, two it was made by a RR signal manufacturer which is interesting and the other is because I have forever wanted a WWII era 1911. I don't know, with what I have previously mentioned, what to offer him. I was thinking somewhere in the $800-$1000 range? Anyone know the value of one of these in this condition? My uncle is the type to go to a gun store and ask them what it is worth, which is fine. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Not sure on the value, but as a railroad buff and a gun buff, I'd love to have something like that!

3. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

US&S 1911's are highly prized by collectors as only about 55,000 were produced and were considered to be high quality guns. I do not know what it is worth in the condition you describe but, probably more than you are thinking.

Here is a link to a little information about them.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. winchester62

winchester62

He is trying to tell you to drop the subject without being a jerk about it. Take the hint. BTW, what makes you think it shouldn't go to his son?

5. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

Thanks guys. A good while back, I called the gun shop I used to frequent to ask about the value and he looked it up in some gun value book. He claims that if the gun were 90%-mint it would be worth about $4k-$5k and from what I remember, if it were 60% or less it would be worth about $1500 or less. I was just guessing that it was about 60% and without the original barrel and possibly not the original mag that maybe it would be worth a little less. I am not really a collector, so I would not fork out thousands for it. It would be a sentimental thing for me, so I wanted to offer him a fair dollar value. I had read on Wikipedia that only 55,000 were made. I would like to own, like many, one of the 5,000 Singer models :).

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Based on those pics, I'd say the gun is way above 60%, as surplus guns go.

7. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Is that one of the only 5000 surviving guns out of 500 made?
    It is not hard to remark a gun to look like something it isn't under gun store lighting.

8. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

You may be right about him wanting to drop the subject, I just did not get that vibe. BTW, I did not say his son should not get the gun. If he wants his son to have it, that is great. I don't really know his son that well and I just want someone to get the gun who will appreciate and take care of the gun and not try to sell it for cash or anything. As I said, it would be sentimental to me. I am not trying to take advantage of him, which is why I am asking here what a good offer to him would be. If he says "I don't want to sell it", so be it.

9. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

Hah! I just saw that comment about the 5000 of 500 the other day. Good catch. Sorry about the crappy lighting.

10. winchester62

winchester62

Maybe the whole "drop it / what about the son?" issue was not at all what you were asking and you were just giving back-story. Of course value is your primary objective in your post. I brought up the son though because it is easy to get a little fixated and disregard what might be obvious to an outsider (us). Your uncle may at least want to discuss with his son that you are interested. Hopefully not for your sake as that is a beautiful gun and I can see why you would want to own it even without the sentimental reasons. Good luck with it!

Also, I'm curious if there is any way you might be able to find an original barrel for it. Maybe out of a very rough gun of the same manufacturer. That would probably raise its value significantly. Even if you had to buy the other copy, you would likely come out ahead. I don't think the barrels are serialized are they? I don't remember.

Is there any backstorry on the gun? It is always cool to know the history.