Trying to import .pst in Outlook

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by unit 900, Aug 22, 2007.

1. unit 900

unit 900

I've reached the end of my patience. I am trying to transfer my e-mail folders from Outlook 2002(running XP) to a new laptop with Outlook 2007 (Vista). When I try to import, I am told the .pst folders are not .pst folders. I exported them with Outlook as a .pst and the extension remains .pst, I just cannot get them to import. This state of affairs applies to Inbox (and sub folders), Sent mail and all other folder. I was able to import my Contacts. I do not believe there is an issue with XP vs. Vista. I tried Dell and for a hefty price, they will attempt to assist. I thought I might try here first for any advice. TIA.

2. lens

lens

Do a search of the old machine for "outlook.pst", copy it to the new machine in place of the default one or define the location (I do this by putting it in My Documents).

Copy it to a CD, DVD or thumb-drive depending on what you need/have.

You do all this "outside" of Outlook.

If you change locations (as opposed to replacing the default file), you can change location by following instructions in Outlook Help. Some info copied below, but graphic in Help file is helpful and won't copy here easily.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

hmm export and import I have never had any problems with .pst file.
    I could remote into your box and see if I could do it.

4. unit 900

unit 900

NetNinja, thanks for the kind offer. I was a little pressed for time so I found a work around by creating new folders in the new Outlook and actually copying all the e-mails and pasting them to the proper folders. What a PITA but it worked. Thnaks all.

5. malkore

malkore Guest

I was gonna say, with full Outlook, you don't need to export anything. The raw .pst sits in your Local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\ folder.

any archives you've made will be there too, usually as archive.pst.

6. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Could be corrupted. Could be an empty PST. You can try importing it into a third system. Or Dogpile for "pst repair". Or try opening it in wordpad. Its innards should look like this:

jk§ôñ]ÊÝó}ëìüÓ×À[email protected]z7³à~…›¡ÐPÌtU-ۇ9
    a=:ŽŠþÏÑ|©GÜ€_LÝ̩߮šÛ \•êôyÈoNžõ/Wڛu `÷Òþ4ÁE|´4ò ›_ŸÜ…ӝ~àéW
    <”{åžtk¼2c<öHȞBlšs>ê¾÷{j?^昜t¹`ç<~ÿÕ[email protected]:˜•èýÐþÚ£_›ðæÿ*ԒQj9,&¡/¯ÍCµ ÔŽ1p£Ú¿Ô¨tjŽ@#¥Q¦[õm¨ÐÌ*÷é1¡fÍ?ž+€‚]näÿ8ôéþۆnÆ! íï‹yB\ÀÝaŠ¼äØS&ŸT¡©Hø±]°;!³–‰¬
    Aʋ…õ·ú*Dw۝-:OùDÿ0¦Ra†¬ŽwQ xìA:ׯÊÜU·ö…×ê7
    ²*DÔêá i cïôñ$Ù®'ÿb8ÙYšKӕ˜ÑfÚñD^8mh<z_=ˆ6Ӄo—‡œ"Î ûJD–_uv

If it's largely empty, it's hosed.