close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Trying to decide what to keep, buy and sell (19,43,23)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Harper, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Harper

Harper

My only handgun is a Gen 3 G19 and I've gotten to where I don't even carry it anymore due to its size. So I've been strongly thinking about getting a G43 and maybe selling the G19. I really don't shoot as a hobby anymore so the only reason to keep the G19 would be for possibly a better home defense gun over the 43.

To complicate matters I know someone selling a used Gen 4 G23 that has less than 500 rounds through it for $380 with 3 magazines. Is this too good to pass up?

Is having only a G43 for home defense a crazy idea? Or should I also have a G19 or G23?

John Gutowski likes this.
  2. powernoodle

powernoodle

Unless you have to sell stuff to pay for Granny's kidney transplant, Powernoodle recommends keeping the guns you own and then adding to them as the opportunity allows.

I would definitely buy that 23. And yes, you need a 43 too.

Carry the 43. Keep the 23 as a bedside gun (safely stored), and safely stash the 19 in a hidey place in the living room or kitchen for easy access.

:dog::dog::dog:

3. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Guns are like $. Always wanted. And who knows what will happen next election. If you don't have to sell don't.

Toby196, Lee Elliott, Kasie and 5 others like this.
  4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Something nice about having both pistols in the same caliber. I was forced to carry a .40 for a short while, you can have it. That round came about because a certain agency wanted full power 10mm but many of the "petite" people couldn't handle it. Stick with the 9mm. Personally as we get older I recommend both a bedside pistol for a quick peek AND a good 12-gauge pump with extended mag for home.

Lee Elliott, TJS, DKSmith45 and 7 others like this.
  5. John Biltz

John Biltz

So let me get this straight, you think you may not need a G19 and are thinking about getting rid of it. But there is a G23 that is such a bargain you are thinking of buying it? That makes no sense at all. If you don't think you need the G19 then you don't need the G23 no matter the price. For the price of that G23 you could buy a Shield and several magazines as well.

6. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

I personally have no desire to ever own a .40 caliber defense handgun ever again. The only 40 for me, is a USPSA major scoring gun. I would certainly never sell the G19 to obtain the G23. Would be a silly move IMO.

If I were you, I would keep the G19 for home defense/OWB hip kind of carry (like mowing your lawn, working around the property, etc), and buy the G43 to carry. If you don't have a gut, the G43 is all but invisible in the appendix carry position. I would not consider a G43 adequate for home defense. I personally run a G17 with a TLR2HL with 17+1.

A 43/19 combo is a great pair of pistols that will do just about anything for you until you get up to larger 4 legged attackers.

7. nikolaz

nikolaz

If you have trouble carrying a G19 sounds like you need a better holster and gunbelt. What is your current carry set up?

Valmet, Toby196, Teecher45 and 3 others like this.
  8. OBG17

OBG17

I'm with John and Nick on this one. The 19 & 23 are the same size except the calibers are different. Keep the 19 for HD and get the 43 for SD. I have a 19 that I IWB in a Milt Sparks VM II, a Cooks kydex, or an Alien Gear 3.0. For OWB I have Mitch Rosen, Galco, and G&G. A quality holster and belt makes a world of a difference in carrying a gun.

9. Tahmail

Tahmail

Jump on that 23 deal and pick up a 9mm conversion barrel - you already have the g19 magazines so now you have a 9mm and a .40. You can trade/seel the 19 for a 43 which is nice for carry but the 23 better overall for personal and home defense IMO.

10. glock-fan

glock-fan

19/43 to stay on the same caliber and because don't like .40 too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toby196, Lee Elliott and Glockworks like this.
  11. rds95991

rds95991

If you get the G23, you can get a 40-9mm conversion barrel and with 9mm mags, you have a 19 and a 23. Get a 32 barrel and you can shoot 357Sig with the 40S&W magazines.

The 43 is a different class, but if you don't need the smaller size, you can bail on that one.

The 23 will take magazines from 17, 19, 34, 23, 22, 31 and 32 and with the barrels, you will have a 3 caliber weapon, 4 calibers if you get a 22 conversion kit.

12. Mike-M

Mike-M

Get the G23. The price is excellent and won't require an ATF 4473 recording the sale, nor any sales tax.

Then, consider buying an OEM .357SIG G32 barrel ($125 direct from Glock) so that you'll have both .40SW and .357SIG capability. Use the G32 barrel when you want to use the finest production auto-pistol weapons-service round in existence.

An OEM Gen4 G32 is every part identical to an OEM Gen4 G23 except barrel, ejector, rear sights, and markings on the slide. The ejector difference is minor and can be ignored.

Glocks in 9mm Para have zero capability for change to other standard defense calibers. If a G19, it has zero capability to use the other three longer OEM barrel lengths. The G19 is appropriate for those who want nothing but what comes out of the new box. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  13. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

Like the guys above said....the 23 is much more versatile than the 19.

That's a great price for a gen 4 23.

Bennydabull and LarryE like this.
  14. hogarth

hogarth

Yep. The G19 just happens to be the best Glock.

15. hogarth

hogarth

Keep the 19, get the 43.

The 23 is theoretically more versatile, but only after dropping $100+ on each extra barrel. Plus, to change to 9mm, you should really change the ejector as well. So you'll spend more $ and then be able to shoot two rounds out of three that are more expensive than 9mm, offer fewer rounds in the magazine, batter the gun more, have more recoil, and offer no advantage.

Toby196, Lee Elliott, n2g and 5 others like this.
  16. Col. Cornelius

Col. Cornelius

As stated above:

Keep the G19 for Home
    Get the G43 for concealed carry

17. TGT

TGT Do you want to see my little friend?

Let's not confuse the issue with calibers. Either a 9mm or a 40 with the right ammo will do you fine. Decide on that later, or you'll go nuts. First issue at hand is NOT to buy something just because the price is good. A bargain is a bargain, only if you can use it. It's already correctly been said here that if the 19 was too big for you, then so too will be the 23.

So then you need to focus on the carry-size question. You thus should be considering either the 43, or, any of the baby Glock sized pistols; 27, 26, or 33. For me, there was a world of difference between a G27 baby Glock and a 23. The same will be with a 19 vs the G26. I think going so small to a 43 with 7 round capacity, and bypassing the wonderful 11 round 26 may be overdoing it. But only you can decide if you really need to go all the way from a 19, and past the baby sized 26, all the way to a 43! Your call.

18. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

if I was only going to keep one gun it would be the 19 as it will do it all. the 43 although easy to carry Is a bit snappy, now if you really want a nice carry gun and a real fun gun to shoot get the 42 I just love that gun and if you get .380 buffalo bore it's a nice combination. if you only want a small gun for protection. it would be the 42 or 43

Lee Elliott likes this.
  19. John Biltz

John Biltz

So he can spend $400 on the G23, another $125 for a barrel and have a gun just like the one he already has and is thinking of getting rid of? This is not saving money.

He can instead keep the G19, not buy the G23 and get a Shield or G42 for the price of the G23. Or a G43 for a hundred more.

I have to say, I am just completely puzzled by the OP. If the G19 is not a fit in size why would you want a gun that is identical except for caliber.

20. John Biltz

John Biltz

If .40 is so great then why can't it ever be mentioned in a thread where half the posts are not about changing its caliber so you don't have to shoot .40?