close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trying to decide on joining GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 03RangerXLT, Nov 28, 2006.

1. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT

I want to shoot competitively, but my work schedule (LEO) demands I work every other weekend. Also, how much does it cost per year to join? I have read about the different classes and being in law enforcement, I guess I would gravitate towards that, but at this time, I am not all that great of a shooter. I just don't want to be dropped in a class where I couldn't stay afloat. I have Trijicon night sites installed on my GLOCK 27, would I have to have them removed to use that gun in any unmodified class? I am going out on a limb and assuming that since I live a stones throw from GLOCK headquarters, there will be a nice number of matches in my area.

Any info that could be provided would be great!

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Welcome aboard!

First of all, you may use your G27 as is in Amateur subcompact and Amateur Guardian categories. Don't worry about the competition level. Just shoot as smartly as possible instead of as fast as possible. The three closest GSSF matches might be Conyers GA, Ft. Benning GA and Anderson, SC. Fees, rules, schedules, etc. are at www.gssfonline.com

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you could use the 27 in every class except MSub. there isn't really a class structure like IDPA or USPSA. you'd shoot as an amature and if you wish in the AmGuard class. you can also shot the master classes as an amature and get more experience or as a warm up to the amature classes. to be more competitive i'd look at getting a G22 to go with the G27. your sights are GSSF legal. the cost to join is 35 dollars, and 25 a year after that. the entry fee is 25 dollars per class.

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Classes are intangible in that you do not sign up as per se...you enter a category to participate,further improvement( which you primarily will judge)is the only measurement unless you start winning the categories...three firsts places you in a Master category and then limits you to entry of three possible situations.I belive cost to belong to GSSF is maybe $35.00 a year or they may have dropped it to $25.00...I am a Lifer and apologize for not staying abreast...all that have posted can help if you need more assistance please pm or ask...you may also want a mentor for your first match...It will be a pleasant experience. :thumbsup:

5. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT

Thanks guys! I am thinking about joining! My roommate will let me use his G22 if I want, I am lookng ot get one for myself, but it will have to wait till after my patrol carbine is finished. I will be checking out that website. Thanks again!

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I would suggest IDPA or IPSC instead. GSSF has no drawing only firing from the low ready. There is only a limited amount of courses fairly boring.
    Pat

7. DrKyle

DrKyle

I would have to agree w/ Alaskapopo ... GSSF is fun but check to see how many matches you will be able to shoot in a year that are near you. For me... that would be one a year. You have to join to shoot the match and compete for prizes. There are no other benefits from joining for you. I say that b/c you should get LEO pricing on all glocks from your local FFL or through the department. For us non-LEO's the only other benefit I have seen is ability to purchase 1 glock/year at cost - takes 8 wks to get.

IDPA & or USPSA on the other hand will absolutely help you in your everyday survival as it improves your gun handling skills. Depending on where you live you could probably find a match a week if not more to shoot! I like trigger time & competing so I shoot both IDPA & USPSA.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

a previous poster is incorrect.

One of the benefits is having a Competent Glock Factory Armorer

Check out and repair OR upgrade your Glock for Free at matches.

9. DrKyle

DrKyle

My apologies for such a broad statement ... please take them as my personal feelings as I see no benefit of the certified glock armorer given the simplicity of design & availability of parts. I am by no means a gunsmith nor overtly mechanically inclined... but I have done all modifications to my competition glocks with ease.

10. Berretta9

Berretta9

I have to agree with some of the others. You only have to shoot a few and they do get a little boring. I still keep up my membership, it is after all only 25.00 to renew, and I will go to matches that are close. That said, the other forms of practical shooting are a lot more fun. You are also not limited to using only a Glock at the others. The GSSF also seems to have some organizational issues. It can take a while to get your membership package and I always get mail and notices on shoots a day or two after the shoot.

11. JonInWA

JonInWA

I certainly enjoy IDPA, but I also enjoy and intend to continue participating in GSSF. Keep in mind that in 2006, GSSF addressed the "boredom issue" by coming up with allowable variations to the "Glock M" and "5 to Glock" courses of fire. I also enjoy the camaraderie with fellow Glockers, and the support and info from the Glock Armorer, Chris Edwards and Scott Gilbertson.

Best, Jon

12. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT

GSSF sounds like the thing for me. A gateway to the shooting sports maybe!

13. Archangel Mike

Archangel Mike

Bingo.

GSSF is intended to be an INTRODUCTION to handgun shooting sports.

That is why it is kept as "basic" as it is.

It is primarily intended for people who have NO other handgun competition experience. Yet it can still be shot, and enjoyed, by experienced shooters as well.

At GSSF a person can learn much of the "match ettiquette" he or she needs to move on to the much more commmon, and more demanding, USPSA and IDPA matches.

Everyone has to start SOMEWHERE. GSSF is as good a place to start as any.

:angel:

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Well thats not much of an advantage when your a Glock armorer already. Which is only an 8 hour course. It would be simplier to take the 8 hour course than to compete in GSSF.
    Pat

15. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I did six matches (outdoor) and many indoor GSSF matches in 2006, and I'm still waiting to be bored! The friends we make and the commaradery (spelling?) is great as well as improving one's shooting skills. I watch the masters shoot and talk to them and it's anything but boring. It's a challenge whether you're a beginner or a master. Yes, there are other shooting competitions and they're great also. Steel plates, bowling pins as well as the one's mentioned. Some people like one kind of competition over the others and that's all right, everyone has a favorite. GSSF gets habit forming and one wants to keep going to it. The ROs are friendly and help people and everyone seems to have a great time at the matches. It's an atmosphere that's anything but boring. It's neat!

16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Try IDPA or USPSA and then you will never go back to GSSF. I have nothing against it if you have time to shoot all three. But if one has to go GSSF is the one that you should drop. Its the least challenging and has the least real world training value. That is my opinion of course.
    pat

17. DrKyle

DrKyle

Glockess - 6+ matches in a year? Wow how much traveling did you do for those?

I would like to shoot more GSSF matches but the travel thing for me is tough - anytime I want to take a day or 2 off I have to hire a cover doc for the office & then do damage control when I get back for the p/o'd patients!

Don't get me wrong when I was saying no real benefit from joining - you have to join to compete ... and the matches are fun ... heck any trigger time is fun!

The glock quarterly - has anyone received more than the one in the membership packet which is a year old? Certified Armorer - too easy to do yourself.

Oh and if you are going to join - join at the match don't send your app in! Why? If you sign up @ the match you are entered in a new member drawing for a gun! If you are already a member and show up to sign in - unless you are bringing a new member who joins at the match you are not entered. Good luck. Enjoy the matches. Make new friends.

18. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

It is the sport that allows you to BEGIN in an UNADVERSARIAL WAY...the sport has changed recently to entice other shooters from IDPA and USPSA and I have fellow Team Mates that shoot all three plus we shoot Steel Plates as well....many younger shooters and as well old opt not to travel over an hour one way to get their fix...but I believe the NETWORK of FRIENDS is much stronger in GSSF and that you probably find more GAMERS ( I believe that might be the term)in the other sports...I shoot USPSA and Steel Plates to hone my skills for GSSF...while I am sure that others find find this weird to say the least...ALL I know is that I am grateful to at least experience the pleasure in meeting new people all over the United States and that alot of people are aware of GSSF and just like a GLOCK...you either Hate it or LOVE it.:thumbsup:

19. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Sorry...I do disagree...We have people that shoot (4) disciplines on our Teams and new shooters from the other events are often challenged...at least their scores depict difficulty. Real world situations in Gun Games are Mimicked but I personally know what it's like to be in a gun fight and shot and I'm sorry.. to walk back/run back to cover to reload does not depict what I'll do under fire....I will not worry about what holster I have nor will I have (5) mags on my belt when I walk in to a 7 eleven and someone points a gun to my head...Sorry for the rant...probably first time in (5) years I actually gave an opinion and did not worry about anothers view, but when a new person is in the GSSF forum and not the overall competition forum...I feel your in my house.:hugs:

20. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I can't tell you if it'd be smart to join or not...I belong, and 2 of my 3 boys belong(the 3rd is in grad school and isn't shooting now).
    BEFORE I'd join, I'd look and see what matches you are going to shoot and when they are. You're not going to "use" you membership till you go shoot a match...maybe you don't need a card till May?
    If you want to shoot- probably the best bang for the buck is USPSA.
    Local matches cost about 20 bucks and involve about 80-120 rounds.
    The "Friendship Factor" can be just as good at the local club level as it is for some in GSSF.
    For a year or so I could go to maybe 3 Glock shoots a year(outside) and a bunch of the indoor ones...times change. I can't do that now-can't be away from home/work that much.
    These people that drive to a boatload of matches every year and 2000 mi over a long weekend generally aren't still raising kids.
    YOUR situation is gonna dictate if GSSF is a good deal for you...
    GSSF will guarantee you the matches are always 1 state away, and 25 bucks a run.Only you know what you can afford time/$wise.