Trying to copy a dvd.....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Unlocked, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

Ok, I have some tapes from a Hi8 camcorder that I put onto dvd. I played them through the dvd recorder and put it on a dvd-R disk. Now I'm trying to make copies of the disk. I have DVD shrink and IcopyDVD's2. Neither will recognize a disk in the drive. I also have Sonic Record Now. It actually read the disk like it was supposed to, but when it asked me to insert a blank disk it repeatedly asked me to insert a blank disk and would not recognize the blank disk in the drive.

So how do I copy this particular format of video? Short of playing the tape over again and using my dvd recorder. I'm curious why Sonic would read the dvd but not accept my blank disk. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

DVDShrink (and presumably IcopyDVDs; never used it) is looking for a properly formatted DVD with .vobs and all the other overhead. Did your recorder set them up that way, or just throw an mpeg2 on the disc?

My guess with Sonic is you have a bum disc. Have you tried another one? Are you trying to use a disc type (-R/+R) that the drive likes? It may only copy a -R to a -R.

You might try using Sonic to burn an ISO (I think Sonic makes .NRGs or something odd). If you plan to make multiple copies, you'll definitely want to have a hard drive image rather than trying to disc-disc copy with a single drive.

3. Unlocked

Thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna give this another shot next weekend.

4. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Have you tried the old standby of ripping the vids onto the computer and then burning them?

5. Unlocked

No I havn't. How would I go about that?

6. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

put the dvd you want to rip from into the drive, open "my computer", open the drive that contains the dvd, drag and drop the files from the disc onto the desktop, then burn from there. Might take marginally longer but usually works as long as it's not a copy protected dvd.

7. brd

brd

I use dazzle to put all my video onto my pc...you can get it from ebay for about 15$..then download the latest version of nero from you favorite bit torrent site..make sure it comes with nero showtime..then follow the pop up steps real easy..
    nero is IMO the best program for all your media needs and torrents make it free.If you are not a member of deminoid look often for open registration..They keep a real close watch on the files and i have never gotten spyware or any other crap from there..
    good luck

8. vanderson

vanderson Guest

AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 is the best.

9. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

He's not trying to copy a copy protected disc, otherwise I'd agree with you vanderson.

10. Kentucky_Guy

Kentucky_Guy

+1000...I have both and they are both AWESOME.....

11. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN Guest

you have to format/finalize the dvd or it will only be playable in the dvd recorder.