close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trying something new.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Swattie, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

I have gotten bigger and bigger with strength training. I am now 230 lbs of muscle. My body fat, last I checked, is only 12%. However with the size and strength I have noticed a new problem. I am now not as flexible. This bothers me because the less flexible you are the more prone to injury. Also I have noticed that I do not have the stamina and endurance I did before.

I am not starting a new workout. My goal will be to lose around 40 pounds (at least down to the 190's somewhere). It will mainly consist of Combat Fitness. We will see what happens.

2. DBradD

DBradD

Wow, long time no typing from you!

What are your plans for improving flexibility? Just losing weight obviously won't help that at all.

Do you have a flexibility or mobility program in mind? I've been searching for one and would be interested to know what you're going to try. I've been doing CrossFit for a couple of months and have hurt myself a few times. I suspect that some of my problems are from lack of mobility/flexibility.

DBD

3. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

I have spoken with several people regarding flexability. They all recommend whan stretching to hold the stetch at its max for at least 20 seconds. They also recommend YOGA. And I got to take these girls up on what they say. One can put her legs behind her head.

4. DBradD

DBradD

I'm not an expert by any standard, but I know that a lot of people nowadays are going against that school of thought. It might be worth some additional research.

There are a lot of joint mobility programs on the market today. I bought Pavel's Super Joints last week and I think it seems ok. I started a thread in this forum just the other day on this subject and I included links to several of the popular ones. It's hard to find a negative review for any of them.

Anyway--good luck with your new workout direction! I hope it works out well.
    DBD

5. malkore

malkore

Yoga has NEVER been proven to work better than holding a stretch for 20 seconds.
    and stretching cold muscles actually can induce injury.

I would HIGHLY recommend you check out the DVD these guys sell: http://www.magnificentmobility.com/

instead of static stretching, its dynamic stretching.

all the people that I know that tried it have loved it.

6. DBradD

DBradD

malkore:

Do you know how it compares to the other similar products? I just bought Pavel's Super Joints and I think it's ok, but it's not overly impressive.

DBD

7. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

What's your definition of combat fitness?

8. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Isometrics mainly. Pushups, dive bombs, situps, crunches, pull ups, sprints, distance running. You get the idea.

9. DBradD

DBradD

So you randomly mix these types of workouts on some kind of schedule like 3 on, 1 off, or whatever? Sounds like a way to get in great shape!

I'd personally can the crunches and just do more situps or hanging leg raises. I think they're more consistent with what you're trying to do, IMHO.

10. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Basically one day is running and jumping exercises and the next is the others. You should give your muscles 24 hours to recover.

11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

On this topic generally, I'm pretty sure that Eric Cressey, one of the guys behind magnificent mobility just posted something about a correlation between cold/static stretching and power loss. I want to say it was either in one of his newsletters or on EliteFTS.

As for the DVD, I've got Pavel's book and I'm waiting on the DVD so I'll try and post up a comparison once I've received it.

12. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Well so far so good. I am at 216.00 lbs.

13. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Another 3 pounds this week.

14. DBradD

DBradD

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Weight loss mainly from dietary changes, right?

15. madizzy

madizzy

:thumbsup:

good job, man. sounds like you've got serious dedication

16. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

I bring in less protien and more GOOD CARBS.

I also don't do much weight training. I am trying to lose mass not gain it.

17. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

I give up. I will just do extra stetching and more running. I cannot kill the mass and have only succeded in getting bigger. I will just have to make sure I do a lot of anaerobic exercises as opposed to aerobic.

18. DBradD

DBradD

Ever thought about doing something like CrossFit and use the Zone or Paleo Diet? Would seem to fit what you're trying to accomplish. Be careful and don't hurt yourself with CF, though. Those workouts are a lot harder than they look!

19. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

I don't have access to a lot of the equipment that crossfit uses. Otherwise I would.

20. DBradD

DBradD

Like what? I don't have a lot of that stuff either, but there are lots of substitutes on the website. For example, thrusters for wall ball shots. If you go to any gym, you should be good to go. You could jump rope as a running sub for example, also, if you don't have a track.