close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trust your semi-auto as much as your revolver??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by youngvr4, Mar 26, 2010.

1. youngvr4

youngvr4

is there anyone here who trusts there semi-auto handgun as much as they trust thier revolver as far as reliabiltiy?

when i had my sp101 i clearly had more faith in my revolver than i did my semi-auto

so how do you feel?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Well, I've shot revolvers more than a lot of newer shooters and I went through the police academy when everybody carried revolvers. I've seen more and more serious revolver failures on the range than semi-auto failures AND I know you can't clear a revolver malfunction in half a second like you can wityh most semi-auto malfunctions. NO, I don't trust a revolver more.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

3. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I've had so few malfunctions with any gun, using factory ammo, that it never really occurs to me that they won't work.

4. Professor Zero

Professor Zero

I trust my Glock G26 as much as my S&W 649

5. bogey3737

bogey3737 diablo azul

I trust my Glocks (and my old Sigs) more than my S&W revolvers. I've had cylinders bind up on the range, which were not easy to clear. As mentioned already, a failure in an auto is usually easy to handle...if a revolver goes down in combat, you're in a lot of trouble.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

My first duty weapon would not fire double action the first time I went to qualify, didn't even touch the primers at all. Revolvers are not really more reliable than pistols, just simpler to understand for most users. Lots of small parts and dirt sensitive. Get a little dirt under the ejector star, the strain screw backs out, the ejector rod backs out a little and you have a very unhandy and short club.

7. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

I consider myself a revolver shooter (that's what I learned on, DA revolvers, and I'm part of the younger generations here...) and I still think my Glocks are as reliable or maybe even a bit more reliable.

As others have said, when something goes down on your revolver (unscrewed ejector rod?), it's going to take time and tools to fix. In comparison, a stove-pipe in a semi-auto is an invert-tap-rack-bang to clear, a couple seconds at most.

I also find my revolvers more sensitive to fouling buildup and dirty chambers than my semi-autos. After about 100-120 rounds, my S&W .357 needs a good cleaning before it is running smoothly. The Glock? I only clean it because it seems like a good idea, not because it is necessary.

Oh, and pop the sideplate on a S&W DA and THEN tell me your revolver is simpler than a semi-auto. You can strip a Glock with a 3/32" punch (excuse me, Glock Armorer's tool... :whistling: ).

8. Brucev

Brucev

I have been using revolvers and pistols for 30 years. I remember when pistols were an iffy proposition w/ anything but FMJ ammo. I remember when revolvers were the gold standard of reliability.

That being said, I have not ever had a failure of any sort with a center-fire revolver that was due to a mechanical problem. The only failure I've ever had was with some off-brand reloads in which the primers failed to fire. Reloading the rounds in different charge holes in the cylinder did not help. The primers were very well struck. I currently own a COLT Det. Spec., a S&W 28-2 and a S&W 625-2. Each of these revolvers have been outstandingly reliable and accurate. The failures to fire with off-brand ammo occurred with the 28-2.

Over the years I've had some failures with center-fire pistols. In recent years I've not had anywhere near the problems that were seen in say the late 1970's. I currently own a G-22 that has fired 1,800 rds. At 1,200 rd., I had one instance with a single magazine that produced 4 FTF in one box of ammo. I cleaned the magazine. Now 600 rds. later it has not repeated the problem. I have a SA 1911 Mil-Spec. At the first range session is had a single FTF using some very nasty corroded mixed headstamp ammo that I had tried to wipe clean. Since then it has fired 600 rds. with no issues at all.

Today's revolvers and pistols are very reliable. Given good ammunition, I would consider that my revolvers and pistols are equally reliable. My G-22 sits on the nightstand. In the drawer is my SA 1911. When I am in the field, I carry either my 625 or 28... depending on what I plan on shooting. For hogs, etc., I like either one.

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Cut me some slack on the comparison -

Revolver = pump shot gun

IMHO if someone takes care of their guns - keep them clean & properly lubed - either semi and revolver will be reliable.

But stick gun in a nightstand untouched for 10 years - and I would rather have a revolver.

Put your gun in the back of the closet for 10 years - and then wake up to the sound of someone breaking into your home - and most people would rather have a pump action shot gun vs a semi.

Simple solution is to maintain your guns.

10. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Never had an issue with my Glock, so I trust it 100%.

Revolvers are simpler for dealing with minor issues and limpwristing.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The short answer is Yes.
    The long answer is No.

Over about 50 years of shooting both types of guns it's very hard for me to remember the couple gun caused malfunctions with revolvers, where as, malfunctions with semi autos had been and still is a common thing. (the hammer spring broke on a S&W Mod 10 after 10,000 rounds)
    Almost any time a group of people are shooting there will be malfunctions with semi autos but a malfunction with a revolver is so rare that it gathers attention.

I trust the semi auto enough to carry them for SD but always in the back of my mind is, "I hope this thing will not malfunction if I need it".

When I pick up a revolver the probability of a malfunction doesn't even enter my mind.

12. jimmygun

jimmygun

I have an older S&W revolver on .357mag and it has never given me trouble in the past, as for semi autos I think glock due to their mechanism and construction its very reliable. I would take a revolver over a sig, H&K, Beretta, Taurus, Springfield and other similar semis on the market. But when it comes to a Glock I think the revolver is as reliable as my Glocks.

13. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Neither HK nor Glock has ever given me any reason to distrust them. :supergrin:

14. oldnoob

oldnoob

Yes I do, and more so.

I trust my Glock 22, Sig 226, Browning Hi Power. As much, if not more so than my Ruger GP, Security Six, S&W pre-14 Target Masterpiece. All 6 of them have perform perfect for me through out their live so far. And I more comfortable with semi than revolvers.

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

I trust all my guns equally. I've put enough rounds through them to know that they all run 100%.

16. Girevik61

Girevik61

I trust my revolvers more than my semi autos.

17. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I trust revolvers more but only slightly.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's rare among low volume range plinkers. Start doing a lot of training or competition with them and you'll see plenty of revolver problems.

19. Dave T

Dave T

I will second, or third as Bren has another post I also agree with, and add that I spent my last 6 years in law enforcement as my department's chief firearms instructor. We had 400 armed personnel and the ratio of autos vs revolvers was about 60/40. During training and qualification malfunctions with revolvers usually required the armorer's attention while I cleared most semiauto malfunction on the range.

After I retired I ran a firearms training business for 10 years and trained/gualified over 1000 people for our state's CCW permit. Lots of range time with all kinds of people and all kinds of guns. Revolver problems were just as common as auto problems and like at the Sheriff's Department, when a revolver quit it was usually done for. When a semi auto had a problem it was usually either: 1) operator error 2) ammo problem 3)magazine problem; or only occasionally an actual firearms problem. YMMV!

Dave

20. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

I trust my Glock and H&K autos as much as my S&W and Ruger revolvers.
    I also trust that my revolvers will always run out of ammo first. :)