Trump to nominate Amy Coney Barrett

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by JohnnyE, Sep 25, 2020.

1. WHEEELMAN

WHEEELMAN

I truly hope she is appointed. She admired former Justice Antonin Scalia and holds the same concept of The Constitution as he did:

"judges should attempt to interpret the words of the Constitution as they were understood at the time they were written — and a textualist who considers only the words of the law being reviewed, not legislators’ intent or the consequences of the decision."

2. Scott1970

Scott1970

You got any links on how to buy clues?

3. TeaDub

TeaDub

IF this news is true (and we won't really know until President Trump says so) it would be typical Trump. The phrase "go big or go home" comes to mind.

Probably one of the most controversial picks to replace RBG. Also the most fitting, IMO. She is no moderate.

Quite frankly, she isn't a shoe in to be confirmed. I expect Murkowski and Collins to both vote "No" due to her assumed position on abortion. Romney may vote confirm unless he can be that deciding vote like McCain did on the infamous Obamacare vote. That would take one more RINO to vote no for Romney to make his move. A 50-50 would be broken by Pence.

I expect drama.

One final thought. This IS a risk for Trump. If he nominates her and she fails to be confirmed the week or two before the election, volatility might be the word I'd impose.

NoJoy likes this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

• Sept. 25, 2020Updated 9:13 p.m. The New York Times

WASHINGTON — President Trump has selected Judge Amy Coney Barrett, the favorite candidate of conservatives, to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and will try to force Senate confirmation before Election Day in a move that would significantly alter the ideological makeup of the Supreme Court for years.

Mr. Trump plans to announce on Saturday that she is his choice, according to six people close to the process who asked not to be identified disclosing the decision in advance. As they often do, aides cautioned that Mr. Trump sometimes upends his own plans.

But he is not known to have interviewed any other candidates and came away from two days of meetings with Judge Barrett this week impressed with a jurist he was told would be a female Antonin Scalia, referring to the justice she once clerked for. On Friday night, Judge Barrett was photographed getting out of her car outside her home in South Bend, Ind.

"Mr. Trump plans to announce on Saturday that she is his choice, according to six people close to the process who asked not to be identified disclosing the decision in advance."

So it's either six snakes within the administration that are probably holdovers from the Obama administration, or the major news media is just making it up.

Either scenario is equally possible.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    n2g, Bus007 and NoJoy like this.
  5. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

If she'd get confirmed anyway, it would be dumb for any Rep to vote AGAINST her. Academic.

NoJoy likes this.
  6. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

While I think Mitch McConnel is a hypocrite comparing this situation to what he did to the Democrats pick, I am selfishly happy about this pick. From what I've read so far I like her. Anyone know her stance on firearms?

NoJoy likes this.
  7. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

I'd guess stand firm, finger outside trigger guard.

Don't you feel blue by now?

8. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Good.

NoJoy likes this.
  9. tlnargi

tlnargi

Why did the guy above say she was moderate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. drumgod

drumgod

Sigh.

n2g likes this.
  11. NMG26

NMG26

She was my baby sitter

NoJoy likes this.
  12. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Saint Ginsburg is dead! Finally! At last! Get over it you bunch of leftists. You LOSE!

Long live Amy. :elephant:

wprebeck, Dave Brubaker and NoJoy like this.
  13. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I wonder if she and her friends in high school were boofing and drinking beer?!

MFC4 likes this.
  14. papershoot

papershoot

In Kanter v. Barr, 919 F.3d 437 (7th Cir. 2019), Barrett dissented from the court's holding upholding the law prohibiting convicted felons from possessing firearms. The plaintiffs had been convicted of mail fraud. The majority upheld the felony dispossession statutes as "substantially related to an important government interest in preventing gun violence." In a lengthy dissent, Barrett argued that while the government has a legitimate interest in denying gun possession to felons convicted of violent crimes, there is no evidence that denying guns to non-violent felons promotes this interest, and argued that the law violated the Second Amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett#Second_Amendment

15. NMG26

NMG26

I keep saying nothing happened, but my psychoanalyst insists something did

I'm starting to remember

arkdweller22 likes this.
  16. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

“It was a dark and stormy night.......”

17. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

There’s such thing as pro abortion Catholics, who woulda thunk. I have some die hard catholic friends and they will go off the deep end with that whole abortion deal it’s mind numbing.

Your wife is raped and you won’t terminate that out the gate?.... nope

I could go on and on. Funny how this forum is all for peoples rights just as I am. But to toss that topic in the debate and most don’t have a problem trying to stomp on a woman’s choice what to do with her body. Before you jump the gun I think there should be limitations, that said end of the day you didn’t father said kid so what should it be anybody else’s business.

18. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I had to install two front doors on my house. Never mind that I’m renting one part out.
    I have PTSD and repressed memories.

NMG26, garya1961 and NoJoy like this.
  19. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

according to Mike Lee and Ted Cruz she is an originalist

czsmithGT likes this.
  20. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF