Trump has extended social distancing timeline until April 30

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by HJB, Mar 29, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Second laugh of the day!

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Ok. So, the question becomes, what are the "knowns" that would cause you to shut down the economy, hypothetically? You are now the chief.

The next question would be what are the "unknowns" that you would require to be "knowns" that would cause you to shut down the economy, hypothetically? You are now the chief.

I think it would be enlightening to learn what would cause you, as chief, to shut down the economy. And, now that many parts are shutdown, what would you HAVE to know to remove restrictions? And, what would be the order or relaxing or eliminating restrictions?

billy_56081 likes this.

3. wlkjr

wlkjr

I'm wondering if this is going to be the new norm.? Are we going through this again next year and every year hereafter? There's some kink of epidemic every year.

4. Terry G

Terry G

I know he HATE'S to back down or admit to being wrong, it's his nature. I do admire him for overcoming that and doing what's best for the country.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Intolerant and Syclone0538 like this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Hopefully not. Apparently they covird-19 has unique characteristics regarding transmit mechanism and variation in severity.
    Beside mitigation measures. Treatment and vaccine development hopefully are on fast track parallel development.

n2g likes this.
  6. billy_56081

billy_56081

I believe he has known from the beginning how bad this was going to be and there is absolutely nothing anyone could do about it. The plan is is to slowly ramp up the information as to avoid a panic which would multiply the devastation of this plague.

Intolerant, BigBluefish and bdcochran like this.
  7. Crazypolack

Crazypolack

Yup he totally knew. That's why he said it was Democratic hoax and totally under control.

https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/fqqofu/senator_says_white_house_turned_down_emergency/

• January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

• February 2: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China. … We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. So we’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

• February 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”

• February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

• February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

• February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

• February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

• February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

• February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

• February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

• February 28: “Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right? Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.” “They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

• March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

• March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

• March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

• March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

• March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

• March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

• March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

• March 6: "You know, my uncle was a great person. He was at MIT. He taught at MIT for, I think, like a record number of years. He was a great super genius. Dr. John Trump. I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this? ' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president."

• March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

• March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

• March 9: “This blindsided the world.”

• March 9: "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

• March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

• March 10: "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

• March 11: "This is the most aggressive and comprehensive effort to confront a foreign virus in modern history."

• March 13: "Today I am officially declaring a national emergency. Two very big words."

• March 13: “I don't take responsibility at all”

• March 13: "For decades the @CDCgov looked at, and studied, its testing system, but did nothing about it. It would always be inadequate and slow for a large scale pandemic, but a pandemic would never happen, they hoped. President Obama made changes that only complicated things further"

• March 14: "SOCIAL DISTANCING!"

• March 15: "TODAY IS A NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER. GOD BLESS EVERYONE!"

• March 15: “This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.”

• March 16: “If you’re talking about the virus, no, that’s not under control for any place in the world. ... I was talking about what we’re doing is under control, but I’m not talking about the virus."

• March 16: "I'd rate it a 10" (in response to how he rate his handling of the situation)

• March 17: “I’ve always known this is a real—this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

hooligan74 likes this.
  8. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I'll be 74 on that day - a day to mark for TWO reasons now.

9. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

It may not prove to be seasonal at all.

My guess is it will be the norm until we have an effective vaccine and it has been distributed and administered to at least 75% of the population. We are told such a vaccine is likely twelve to eighteen months away.

2020-2021 gonna be known in the history books as "The Lost Years."

Intolerant, n2g and papershoot like this.
  10. Gundude

Gundude

Understood. I'm not disputing anything you said, just quoting bits of it that are relevant to my points.

OttoLoader likes this.
  11. Gundude

Gundude

No, but mathematical models have tons of assumptions that may or may not reflect actual reality. So while the models will proceed as mathematically designed, reality will not.

12. Gundude

Gundude

I would order economy-destroying business closing measures once I'm certain that after we throw everything we have at reinforcing the health care system (pop-up hospitals, mobilization of secondary medical workers in addition to doctors, etc.), and have issued nationwide advisories informing people of the danger to their respective age groups and health conditions and advising them to take appropriate countermeasures, that the health care system will still be overwhelmed. Furthermore, I'd localize the closures to the specific areas where the reinforced health care system is in danger of being overwhelmed.

We did it exactly backwards. We cast far too wide a net with the closures, relied far too strongly on results from a country (Italy) that's as close to third-world as you can get while still being first-world, and did it all based on far more unknowns than knowns.

Supercharged SS likes this.
  13. Gundude

Gundude

Furthermore, along with the nationwide advisories, I'd advise the public to ignore the MSM running counter of infections. I'd advise the public that the number is beyond meaningless, that a larger number is not necessarily scarier, and that almost all of what the MSM is saying is counterproductive to the goal of getting over this crisis relatively intact.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    narkcop128 likes this.
  14. HarlDane

HarlDane

If by save the economy you mean grind it to a halt and lower everyones standard of living through higher prices; I agree. The American economy does not need low/no skill jobs building cheap consumer goods to prosper, our resources are better used elsewhere.

15. Lil

Lil

Yeah right, huh, a little ramped-up body-count then slow it down to quell the panic. Genieus.

16. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Wealth comes from natural resources and manufacturing not cooking food and pressing clothes. We need a savings-energy-manufacturing-based economy versus a consuming-credit-service rat race. No U. S. Pharma should be made in China.

17. Bradley T

Bradley T

That's not known- unless you travelled into the future, then came back with an accurate count of future fatalities.

18. HarlDane

HarlDane

A simple survey of the world's economies show that to be completely untrue.

If you think our economy is based on fast food and other low end service industry jobs, you're mistaken, badly.

A healthy economy is a growing economy, we're not going to save ourselves into prosperity anymore than we're going to prosper by competing with 3rd world labor making toasters and televisions.

19. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

Its also important to point out that early mathematical models and predictions had U.S death tolls in the millions. That obviously is not going to happen and the very people who said it are waking back their predictions.

I know I’m in the minority but the vast majority of people who get Coronavirus make a full recovery and symptoms tend to be mild. Not to mention the fact that the death rate could be even lower due to the fact that the only way to obtain a test is to have symptoms.....some people contract COVID-19 and remain completely asymptomatic.

I’m just not convinced it’s worth an economic collapse. We can protect the elderly and vulnerable without collapsing the economy.

Japan kept its economy moving and kept cases and death rates relatively low. So did Russia.

Supercharged SS likes this.
  20. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

We are in a precarious situation with China controlling the logistics of some of the key components to the durable goods that we still make here ——- castings for example. There are other countries we can partner with besides China to do some of those televisions, toasters and connectors. The disaster that China has plunged the world into should be proof as to why we are hitched to the wrong wagon.

If the sheltering in place and quarantine restrictions continue, we are about to witness the downside of an economy where there is very little saving taking place.

Intolerant and serve_and_protect like this.