Trump deploying troops

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by thewitt, Jun 1, 2020.

1. thewitt

thewitt

Just because he says it doesn’t mean he can do it without the request of the states.

He did speak with all the governors today. He may have an agreement in place, however that does not change the Constitution.

It has nothing to do with belief.

Insurrection is not simply thugs looting and rioting. Insurrection means overthrowing the legal government. If any of these anarchists try to actually usurp the legally elected government, the US troops can be deployed.

For "routine law enforcement" actions - like suppressing looting and rioting - the states must request assistance.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Just declare it open season on Antifa pukes and us boogaloo boys will take care of it.

ExecutiveWill and JimWillson like this.

3. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

The Insurrection Act of 1807 is a United States federal law (10 U.S.C. §§ 251–255; prior to 2016, 10 U.S.C. §§ 331–335) that governs the ability of the President of the United States to deploy military troops within the United States to suppress civil disorder, insurrection, and rebellion.
    Long title: An Act authorizing the employment of ...
    Effective: March 3, 1807
    Enacted by: the 9th United States Congress

Last used during the Rodney King riots in LA.

The general purpose of the Insurrection Act is to limit presidential power, relying on state and local governments for initial response in the event of insurrection. The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the United States Army and Air Force (which has also been extended by executive direction to the Navy) for routine law enforcement. Actions taken under the Insurrection Act, as an "Act of Congress", are exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act.[1][2]

The Insurrection Act is brief. It allows the President, at the request of a state government, to federalize the National Guard and to use the remainder of the Armed Forces to suppress an insurrection against that state's government. It further allows for the President to do the same in a state without the explicit consent of a state's government if it becomes impracticable to enforce federal laws through ordinary proceedings or if states are unable to safeguard its inhabitants' civil rights.

Chui and clancy like this.
  4. rayzer007

rayzer007

I guess the federal "assistance" the Democrat states have been looking for is on the way! Not necessarily in the exact form they were expecting though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    NoStress and Chui like this.
  5. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

This no doubt the end of our republic. Trump set the whole thing up, with the CIA, to instigate the riots and is running the whole thing from the bunker in the White House. He is using the military to gain and keep control of our country and set himself up as dictator for life!

Just joking! If those gutless governors won't do what is needed to end the violence, than I am glad we have a president with the brass balls to do what needs be done.

G19Tony, jcm3, Doc McGlock and 6 others like this.
  6. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

The Insurrection Act is unconstitutional.

Nothing in the US Constitution gives the federal government the power to declare martial law.

7. Chui

Chui

Even if he was the governors aren’t doing .

The problem is we don’t have active States’ Militias...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serve_and_protect likes this.
  8. Terry G

Terry G

These are my Golden Years? Pandemic, Insurrection, and Martial Law? I think I did this already.

Chui and NMG26 like this.
  9. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

If Trump tries to implement martial law, the result in November is not going to be the one you want, unless you want to say hello to President Biden. :eek:

While YOU are undoubtedly giddy at the prospect of "owning the libs" with absolutely no concern for the long-term consequences, most Americans (including conservatives) are not so short-sighted.

If Trump uses these riots as an opportunity to go the "caudillo" route, he is going to lose badly in November.

Deanster and jr24 like this.
  10. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Trump announces a lot of things.

Let's see what he actually does.

I'm still waiting for the swamp to be drained, the wall to be built, the Muslim ban (remember that?), and the illegals to be deported.

11. bubbatime

bubbatime

Trump can do whatever he wants. Obama could too. And Bush before him. They can fully authorize a military response, quell the disturbance. Its AFTERWARDS, many months afterwards, that he might get slapped down by the Supreme Court or by the legislative branch, or by the citizens in November at voting time, but in real time, he can do whatever the heck he wants.

Deanster and Syclone0538 like this.
  12. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

To con gullible people into thinking "something" is being done, so they can gloat about "owning the libs" on Facebook, with no concern for the long-term consequences.

PennsWoods and Kablam like this.
  13. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

While I agree, we're in the minority. With the modern interpretation of "general welfare" "interstate commerce" and "necessary and proper" nothing is unconstitutional.

Hartford, Wayward Son, Chui and 3 others like this.
  14. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

If nothing is unconstitutional, and the government can twist the constitution to empower themselves to do whatever they want, then the USA as a free country is over.

15. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Did you miss post #7?

16. mrdann

mrdann

Damn you Clancy!!!! Of ALL the dribble I've read here over the last 2 months, I've lost faith in soooo many people. I saw YOUR post and about cried. I literally lowered my head and whispered, "Nooooo......not Clancy too."

clancy likes this.
  17. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

The only way you will hear about someone getting killed is if a Policeman does it to save his or his other Police. If a looter or whatever you wish to label them kills someone it will be hushed up. Those looters are good folks, folks.

18. JimWillson

JimWillson Victim of public education

Can he invoke the Covid Clause of the Constitution, the same that suspends the 1st Amendment, according to justice Roberts?

Chui, Kablam and serve_and_protect like this.
  19. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

I woke up late Sat/Sunday morning at 4am... and on my twitter feed was a short clip of a man getting murdered by a group of thugs. It was fast, and it was real. It's since disappeared and I've heard nothing more about it since.

It shook me up pretty bad, but thankfully was able to use the anxiety to get a lot done around the house.

jcm3 and NMG26 like this.
  20. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

Well, it is an insurrection.

I sure wish I was in charge of the rules of engagement.

"engage immediately any target that is attempting arson, theft, vandalism or assault with a weapon."

CNN and MSNBC told us they were all white supremacists, so they should be cool with that.

Shoot, shovel, shut up.

jr24, clancy, Deltic and 1 other person like this.