Trump’s War on the American Consumer

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by czsmithGT, Aug 23, 2019.

1. MFC4

MFC4

Economic sense doesn’t always equal national sense. The “global free market” is globalism of the worst variety - rule by corporations. Just look at Big Tech’s tyrannical behavior and ability to influence elections.

I can only speak for myself, but I am and will always be America First. I was America First before Trump and I will be after Trump. If that’s considered big government, so be it.

2. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Same here.

I am not a "muh free market uber alles" Thatcherite neoliberal.

Preserving our national cohesion, identity, and self-sufficiency is a lot more important to me than "muh free market."

If we lose our country, the market won't even matter, whether it is free or not.

nraman, Just Glocks and MFC4 like this.

3. nraman

nraman

I feel their pain they have been paying the Clintons and others for decades to sell their country. After all the betrayal and bribes, it's only fair that they get their money's worth.
    Look at the Russians, they gave Bill Clinton millions for the Uranium deal, the Clintons are happy, and the Russians are happy.
    The American people are the only losers every time.

larry_minn and Just Glocks like this.
  4. nraman

nraman

Agree, America first, always.
    A country is not a corporation, corporate interests should not be considered the same as the national interests.

Joe H, Ranger357, Just Glocks and 2 others like this.
  5. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

True or not I read some where Bill Clinton incorporated America ? Any one with any info ?

6. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

So you believe tariffs could/should be used for defict reduction or budget. 150 years ago but things have changed since most of the federal funds were derived from customs tariffs and fees. tariffs are used for protection or a club to get nations to behave. tariffs and blocking acess to markets worked when we had issues with india it will work with china. a number of companies are leaving china and heading to other countries like vietnam, some are heading back to the us. one of the problems with china is they make so much of certain products. a couple years ago i wrote a paper on the market share of china vs us of clothing, china produces 80-90 percent of the world footwear. I see that changing but it will take time. btw unless things have changed all partnerships in china are owned 51% by china and the laws are very one sided.

bdcochran likes this.
  7. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Reading through some of these threads, I am reminded why they call Economics the dismal science. Moving on.

"Doc" Cavalry likes this.
  8. bdcochran

bdcochran

Rabid Rabbit gets points and gives a pretty good history.
    Take the shoe industry. I believe that there is only one manufacturer left in the US.
    If you trace the history of Addidas and Nike, from I believe the origins in Germany, you observe the manufacturing migrating to a succession of countries in Asia. Now the sneaker business is heavily migrating to Vietnam.
    Here's the Production Cost for a Pair of adidas Yeezys
    According to Sole Review, the actual production cost of a pair of adidas Yeezy shoes is $76, then is retailed for $350 USD

In 1946, most of the clothing sold in the US was manufactured within about 50 miles of NY City. Now, Zara makes the women's fashion clothes in Bangladesh, air ships all over the world, and if items don't move within a week or so, they are discounted and sold out to my understanding.

Years ago, the discount suit outlets witnessed the suits being made in south Korea, then doubled in price by one of the twelve Japanese trading companies and then double again in price at the discounted US outlet.

The conclusion should be that the businessmen are watching the trade spat between the US and China (my apology for not abbreviating to PRC and using RC) and probably aren't waiting for the results to start making manufacturing arrangements outside PRC. I would invite members of the forum to locate a manufacturer's representative. This is a person who may represent several product lines from different companies. Then travel with the guy in the early morning hours to buyers' offices at department stores and watch the negotiations. There is a constant flow of information to and from the buyers, through the manufacture representatives, to the manufacturers.

Back to Addidas for a moment. In 2018, the company produced 409 million pairs of shoes worldwide and 457 million units of sports apparel. It runs over 1000 factories world wide. Most Adidas shoes are made by cold cement construction. I am sure that this company is thinking about shifting production.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  9. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

China announces it seeks 'calm' end to trade war, as markets tank and currency hits 11-year flatline

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ch...rkets-tank-and-currency-hits-11-year-flatline

China says it's ready to negotiate after Trump tariffs tank Asian equity markets, currency

China signaled on Monday it was now seeking a "calm" end to its ongoing trade war with the U.S., as Asian markets crumbled and China's currency plummeted to an 11-year low following the latest tariffs on $550 billion in Chinese goods announced last Friday by the Trump administration.

:rofl: at the naysayers. :patriot:

MAGA

DJT Kicking ass and taking names.

Still not tired of winning.

Regards,
    Happyguy
    :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Joe H, Ricky Ricardo, nraman and 2 others like this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hopefully you realize he is far better than any other who is running, and will vote for Trump in 2020!

:)

11. bdcochran

bdcochran

I wish it were true. Has been said in the past.

The overarching problem cannot be overcome without Mr. Xi getting tough, internally, with his supporters.
    1. If the PRC legal system protected copyrights/patents like the US legal system; and,
    2. If the PRC dealt with fake goods like the US legal system,
    then there would be an even playing field.

Of course, if Mr. Xi used his imagination, he could give this proposal. The PRC doesn't change its legal system. Instead, the PRC pays the USA $1 billion a year for 10 years with the money demonstrated to be used by US customs inspection to ferret out fake goods, drugs and fraudulent transactions like the billionaire who deliberately mislabeled aluminum products shipped to the USA.

12. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

@czsmithGT

The problem is, in the ivory tower of economics, its all about producing the most good, for the most people, using the fewest resources (or the resources that are available.)

In the real world it’s a stupid way to run things.

IDGAF about raising the standard of living of Chinese people 20% if it lowers the standard of living of Americans by 1%.

That’s an easy trade from an Economics perspective and the kind of thinking that has allowed the rest of the world to systematically profit from American ingenuity and hard work.

I’d rather see the lifestyle of every American improve by 1% at the expense of a 20% standard of living cut for the rest of the world, if necessary.

Trump gets it. He’s here to improve OUR lives, not be a “global citizen” like Obama.

America First.

Edit: Yes I understand about comparative advantage and all that. How both sides can come out ahead through trade. Blah blah blah. That sort of thinking has moved a lot of our industrial jobs to other countries and hurt a lot of blue collar people here, while leaving us in a poorer strategic position vs. the rest of the world. Global economical thinking works in a kumbaya fantasy world, not in reality. If we want to preserve our way of life and remain the world’s only super power, we have to be smarter.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    nraman likes this.
  13. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Add to that the agreement with Japan makes this an incredible week for Trump. How will the MSM spin this?

NAZG26 likes this.
  14. nraman

nraman

The ABC news ignored the Japanese deal.
    They wasted a lot of time on the meaning of a statement, not a word about the deal.
    They are hoping that everything will go wrong and the economy will tank.
    The enemies of the people.

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Why doesn’t Trump just stop lying about the tariffs. He has been saying and said again today that the US Treasury is getting billions of dollars in tariffs from China. Trump is either an economist illiterate or is simply lying.

“For more than a year now, Donald Trump has claimed that his economy-dinging trade war is a great development for the country because of all the money “China” is paying the U.S. Treasury. “I am a Tariff Man,” he tweeted last December. “We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.” In May, after escalating the dispute with Beijing by raising tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese imports from 10% to 25%, he insisted, “Tariffs are NOW being paid to the United States by China of 25% on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods & products. These massive payments go directly to the Treasury of the U.S.” In July he screeched, “We are receiving Billions of Dollars in Tariffs from China, with possibly much more to come. These Tariffs are paid for by China devaluing & pumping, not by the U.S. taxpayer!” A month later it was: “Massive amounts of money from China and other parts of the world is pouring into the United States for reasons of safety, investment, and interest rates! We are in a very strong position.… A beautiful thing to watch!”

“Of course, as everyone outside of the Oval Office and his most blindly loyal followers know, tariffs are not paid for by China but by U.S. companies. If those companies manage to stay in business at all, the costs are then passed on to American consumers, a giant point of clarification that’s been noted by economists, analysts, and the media, and which was conceded by National Economic Council director Larry Kudlow in May. And on Tuesday the president himself admitted it!”

“Speaking to reporters before leaving his New Jersey golf course, Trump explained the reason the administration decided to wait until December 15 to impose new tariffs on goods like cell phones, laptops, video game consoles, shoes, and other consumer products. “We’re doing this for Christmas season, just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers,” he said, adding that “so far they’ve had virtually none.” Indeed, the new tariffs would have had a big impact on consumers, with Webush Securities estimating the cost of an iPhone would have increased by between $75 and $100. “I think the president wanted to avoid being the Grinch who stole Christmas,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody’s Analytics. “These delayed tariff hikes would have landed squarely on American consumers.”

16. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

I DON'T WANT TO MAY TOO MUCH AT WALMART AND ON AMAZON FOR MY CHEAP CHINASTUFF!!!

[​IMG]

I AM AN ENTITLED AMERICAN WHO BUYS STUFF NOT FOR NEED BUT FOR WANT AND I WANT MY CHEAP STUFF!!!

larry_minn and serve_and_protect like this.
  17. Paul53

Paul53 HATE is not a family value!

I can't understand how a culture that eats rice with 2 sticks is such a problem for us.

happyguy likes this.
  18. bdcochran

bdcochran

Time to throw the cold water on the arguing.
    Sometimes I think people watch too much television. Just because a problem is solved in a 1/2 hour program that actually runs 22 minutes with 8 minutes of commercials, people think politics and relationships work the same way.

Example. NCIS is and has been a great television program for a decade. The reality is like the NCIS investigation of the Naval Officer accused of murder. A half baked investigation, wire taping the defense counsel.

Dog gone it. There is no tremendous deal with Japan. There is no deal until the appropriate legislation is drafted, voted into law and enforced. At the present time, the details have not been worked out on the tremendous deal.

A couple of months ago, you had the PRC people balking at ironing out "the details" and wanting to start over again in negotiations.

A president is not a god. Mr. Obama was not a god, although he received a Nobel Peace Prize for being a tremendous orator. Mr. Trump is not a king. Get over it.

If I were a professional politician or even a self-described non-politician, I want all the credit in the world for anything that can be described as progress and no credit for any failures.

Now, for the challenge of the week. I want you to research Prime Minister Abe's grandfather and his achievements in Manchuria in the 1930s. It might shed some light on the purported Japanese mindset in "trade deals".

One of the members of this forum has a saying on his website and it would be wise to understand it:
    "I want to narrow the bridge between my world of ideas and my world of reality...
    Good luck to you on your path. Settle down and remember, when you look at others it's not always easy to see who they are and where they've been."

19. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Only if they continue to buy that foreign made ****.

20. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

People have very little choice than to buy foreign goods that's living on a fixed income very little made here that's not 5 times the price , I dont like it and dont buy foreign not even foreign cars that's made here that have no tariffs on them , just bought my GF a pair of made in USA New Balance tennis $200.00 not sure all of the shoe is made here but that's just the way it is ,
    No truth in politics or advertising !

serve_and_protect likes this.