GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Truglow TFX sights and installed them tonight. I bought front and rear sight tools and installed both front and rears. I used calipers to make sure the rears were perfectly centered on the slide, but the front sight looked a bit crooked compared to the slide, so I took a measurement and sure enough, it was off a tiny bit side to side at the rear of the sight to the side of the slide. I loosened the screw and the sight was fully seated, so it had no play. I removed the sight and reseated it and it still looked a bit crooked so I put a straight edge along the sight, it was obviously off. The oval hole sure looks straight in the slide, so all I can assume is that the sight is off. When I eyeball above the rear sights and line the edges of the front sight up, the dot would be centered almost with the right hand rear dot.

Has anybody else had this issue? I don't know how to correct it other than removing the rear and sending them back. I do have a second set since I ordered a set for my wife's G19 as well.
IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg
IMG_2329.jpg

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I’m a TFX user too!

Pretty much follow the exact same installation procedure as you do, but once the front sight screw is tightened down, including a drop of red Loctite, I use a small precision crescent wrench to move the front sight just a tad clockwise or counter clockwise as needed.

I do use a stainless machinist ruler to do the alignment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m a TFX user too!

Pretty much follow the exact same installation procedure as you do, but once the front sight screw is tightened down, including a drop of red Loctite, I use a small precision crescent wrench to move the front sight just a tad clockwise or counter clockwise as needed.
Hmmm, I was afraid to try to twist it in fear of breaking the vile and/or the oval peg. Before I tighten the screw, I can wiggle it just a bit and I already biased it as far as it would go in the oval hole just to get it as close as it is.
The good news is that I bought them from Amazon, so if they are bad, I know I can return them as defective.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to twist it a bit with a small crescent wrench and it just springs back. I think I have already taken up as much of the play as I can.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I’ve installed 8 sets of TFX sights on my Glocks in the last year, no broken vials yet!

EDIT: Loosen the front sight screw and make sure you can line things up that way. If not, something might not be right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm tempted to install the second set of front sights and see what they look like.
BTW, the Truglow front sight tool is a POS. I can tell it has started to round already. I made sure it was as flat as possible before I turned it and it feels like the metal is just way too soft.

Enough for tonight. I will try a few things tomorrow. Thanks Barry!

·
Registered
725 Posts
For whatever reason I'm OCD about front sight being straight and the best way I've found is don't fully tighten up the screw just get it tight enough but still able to slightly move the sight then eyeball the sight and get it where you want it and then finish the tightening. Remember you don't need to crank down on the sight it just needs to be snug, if after that your not satisfied then loosen the screw just a little and try to center again and repeat until your satisfied.

Using blue loctite either 242 or 243 you have plenty of time before it dries. I've installed dozens of front sights and I've found I can tighten down the screw and then loosen it back up if necessary for 20 minutes plus without messing up the glue properties.

I know how it is after you put the loctite on the screw you feel the time ticking but remember blue loctite takes a long time to dry so you can tighten and loosen the screw several times without any negative effect to your glue hardness.

Just remember to apply pressure down on the screw head when loosening and tightening you don't want to strip the screw head, as long as you do that you can mess around with it and get that front sight just how you want it. It is certainly better to do it this way instead of deciding the day after installation you don't like the position of the front sight.

If you do wait until the next day it's not a huge deal as long as you did not over tighten the screw you just need to take the sight back off and using alcohol, qtips and a brush remove all the dried up loctite and then clean the surface with the alcohol and start over.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I use the Dawson Precision steel front sight tool

I have 2 of them, one that gets all the use with worn edges. The other is for emergencies when things go south and I need the tightest fit.

·
Controller
2,600 Posts
I have yet to install a front sight on a Glock that didn’t have some play in it where I had to wiggle a little here and there during the tightening of the screw until I had it perfect...sometimes this took more attempts than others...including the truglo tfo...

DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wiggle was expected, but what I didn't expect was not being able to get it straight. The play between the sight and the slide just allowed to to get it as close as pictured above. It simply won't twist any closer to straight than the pics above. I removed the sight, cleaned the blue Loctite off and tried again with the same results. Even before the screw was tightened, the sight could not be twisted straight. I have not yet tried to install the second new sight to see if that one is better.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have yet to install a front sight on a Glock that didn’t have some play in it where I had to wiggle a little here and there during the tightening of the screw until I had it perfect...sometimes this took more attempts than others...including the truglo tfo...

DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE
The front sight screws are so short and small I’ve never had an issue removing the sight with the steel Dawson Prevision tool that I used a drop of Loctite Red on.

On the other hand I’ve seen 2 front sights come off of Glocks during a match that only had Loctite Blue.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is another thread about this very same issue if I am remembering correctly. It turned out the piece of the sight that goes into the slide was machined wrong and was crooked. I think he returned the sight. I even think that thread was the same sights as this thread. If it won’t straighten out, then I’m betting the sight is not machined correct.

Edit- I found the other thread discussing this.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/c...front-sight-is-crooked-any-tips-pics.1856084/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is another thread about this very same issue if I am remembering correctly. It turned out the piece of the sight that goes into the slide was machined wrong and was crooked. I think he returned the sight. I even think that thread was the same sights as this thread. If it won’t straighten out, then I’m betting the sight is not machined correct.

Edit- I fount the other thread discussing this.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/c...front-sight-is-crooked-any-tips-pics.1856084/
Thanks Papa glock! I will try the second set of sights tonight and report back. Hopefully, I just got a bad one and Amazon will replace it. The good news is that if the second front sight is good, I won't have to remove the rear sight. I can just return the bad front sight with the unused rear sight from the second package. Of course my wife's G19 will have to wait for night sights. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks Papa glock! I will try the second set of sights tonight and report back. Hopefully, I just got a bad one and Amazon will replace it. The good news is that if the second front sight is good, I won't have to remove the rear sight. I can just return the bad front sight with the unused rear sight from the second package. Of course my wife's G19 will have to wait for night sights. :)
Flip over the front sight and see if you can tell if it looks like it’s machined wrong. I find it weird that there are now two if not more threads about this particular sight being crooked. I wish you the best in getting it figured out as I know these things can be frustrating.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you sure they’re not counterfeit? Amazon sells tons of fake name brand accessories.

Reactions: buster55

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you sure they’re not counterfeit? Amazon sells tons of fake name brand accessories.
Packaging sure looks real, but who knows? I ordered them from Glockstore and after waiting a month, I gave up and ordered them from Amazon. The same thought went through my head...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Packaging sure looks real, but who knows? I ordered them from Glockstore and after waiting a month, I gave up and ordered them from Amazon. The same thought went through my head...
I got burned by some fake earmuffs (not a fun surprise on the range) and a friend got burned with some fake trijicons. Packaging looked legit. Not saying yours were fake too, but something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Were they sold by amazon or a third party?

The 8 sets that I’ve purchased were all sold by amazon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: I finally had the time to work on the Glock. I installed the new front sight from the new kit and it lined up perfectly. It had a lot of play, but the natural position was straight. The other sight will be returned to Amazon. One thing is that I'm less than impressed by the brightness in both daylight and in the dark, though they are much worse in the light.

Here is a pic of the bad front sight. Now that I'm working on it in the daylight, I swear I can see the crooked oval nub.
IMG_2334.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts