close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

True that keeping multiple IE windows open uses bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drjones, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Hi.

I am in the habit of opening lots of windows rather than using one and clicking "forward/back."

Easier for me to scroll between different windows.

Is it true that keeping multiple windows open eats your internet connection bandwidth even if the page is finished loading? ^8

Thanks

2. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

No, as long as you are sure the site you are on isn't doing anying in the background without your knowledge (ie. something bandwidth consuming).

If you like to have multiple windows open you might give Firefox a try. It's much better than IE.

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

What Plethora Green said. Unless the windows are streaming content, they are no longer using bandwidth.

Also, like he said, a browser that opens new pages in "Tabs" instead of "new windows" will be much better for you. I can go down the list of threads on the front page and click "Open in new tab" for each one I want to read, then go tab- by- tab and read each, replying as I go.

Once you try a tabbed browser, you'll never ever go back.

Netscape 7.1 and Opera (http://opera.com) both are excellent tabbed browsers.

S ;c

(Damn, plethora, after a quick glance at your avatar I thought you were Kestrou.)

4. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Except mine isn't of me. It's Tool's bass player Justin Chancellor (in case you were curious).

5. gudel

gudel

what are you on, dial up?? if you are, then yeah, loading multiple pages at once. but when it's finished loading, then no. (who still in dialup in CA??)

6. pwrtool45

pwrtool45 /etc/moron.conf

It's worth noting that back during the browser wars, IE got its reputation for speed by using idle time to constantly send/receive SYN/ACK traffic. This left the site being viewed with a constantly "open" connection.

If anyone is curious, you should be able to run Ethereal (or any other NTA) and check the buffer when IE is supposedly idle. You'll still see some SYN/ACK traffic. I wouldn't say it "uses bandwidth" in any real capacity, but there is network traffic being produced when you're not actually doing anything. Even with multiple windows open, I'm not entirely sure it'll have a noticable effect.

BTW, the people that rag on IE are right. If you do any sort of online shopping (e.g., ebay) or bill paying, then using IE is potentially dangerous.

JSYK

Oh, and scott, Netscape 7.2 is out now. Get with it, guy! ;f ;f (Especially if you want to run it; if/when Slashdot gets ahold of that, ftp.netscape.com will be useless for days!)

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I use Netscape and Mozilla the most with Netscape winning by a hair.

Yes, if you keep IE open, it'll keep looking for things, caching the links from the page you're on so it's a bit faster if you go to one of those links, etc.

For bandwidth, though, I tend to keep three browser windows open with four to eight tabs in each window. Total of twelve to twenty pages open at any given time. There is almost always traffic of some sort.

Some of it is not IE or Netscape originating the traffic, though. A lot of places have rotating ad banners that have a timer and update the ad when a certain time is up. Some places have an auto-update of the page, especially news sites that have up to the minute news coverage (go to Fox news and just watch, they're the most frequent updating site.)

Yes, it keeps traffic going, only part of it is browser initiated, though.

DanH

8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I am (still using dialup in CA.) Geographically a WHOLE lot of Cali does not have broadband options. :( The best dial up connection we can get is 14.4 using my wife's computer, my computer rarely connects that fast - 12.0 is typical. I am on a half dozen waiting lists, as soon as any broadband (other than satelite, which may not work either) options open up, I'll be signing up the day it is available.