close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

True or False

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 9mmXRAY, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

True or False "seasoned technology experts still use the DOS command prompt?"

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I spend as much time (almost) in CLI as I do in GUI

3. Toyman

Toyman

From time to time we still use it for one thing or another, so I guess technically it's true. But if the real question is do they use it for most or a lot of tasks, no. There are plenty of other tools for doing various tasks that are quicker and less prone to typing errors.

If you're still living in a command prompt window, you may be as good as you think you are, but you're probably not nearly as efficient.

4. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

:highfive: The most time I spend now when working on Microwave radios is in CLI as well. I just use the GUI to check my email lol.

I'm glad all that DOS 3.0 crap stuck with me back in the day.

Like I didn't lose my mind... its backed up on a 5 1/4 inch floppy somewhere...:rofl:

5. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

True... but then CLI was never about being efficient. It was about accuracy. Using CLI does Depend on what I'm working on usually... but its very easy to show people internal problems still with the CLI in a matter of seconds... vs navigating through a clogged up or malfunctioning GUI and backpeddling to the often heard "You need a windows reinstall" When the problem was actually something very simple.

I enjoy both CLI/GUI I just feel nowadays some of the "Whipper Snappers" think the CMD prompt is a useless tool for the dinosaurs.

Without it... I couldnt talk to my million dollar radios... unless I just telnet in through a serial port... which is also a major pain in the booty sometimes with these newer laptops and the lack of a built in serial port.

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Really? Good to know.

Maybe in a standard Windoze world where you're fixing printer drivers and helping your clients get their e-mail your post would make sense.

Many of us geeks have jobs that are a little more involved and require a whole bunch of CLI use because, frankly, there isn't any other way to do it.

It's possible that in the IT/MIS/IS world not all jobs are identical, isn't it?

I'm really interested in the new tools you have access to that let me manipulate the IOS on appliances such as switches, routers and PIX firewalls using only the GUI ... can you provide me a link? The closest I get is Putty for telnet ...

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

USB to serial emulation my friend, I have 6 of those cables in my office which all seem to head for the bar to get drunk about an hour before I need them :tongueout:

8. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Thats a fact!!... for some reason my USB to Serial seems to only like Adtrans... but then again I'm using it on a Toshiba running Vista... so bascially I'm asking for it from the get go :uglylol:

Whats crazy is I worked on a comm system for a major PC laptop builder... I told them why not make a latop that for techs... Just remove 2 USB's and add a built in serial port. They looked at me like I was GOD and they never thought of it. They still havent made one... but at least I'd buy one just for the convinence of modern chip speed vs old school connectability.

9. Toyman

Toyman

Here's one.
    Just kidding. I don't know much about that switch stuff. I'm a code monkey, but I also like finding tools that make it easier to do things.

Yes, for the really technical stuff, there a lot of things you might need to use the CLI for. I've seen a lot of up and coming geeks using a DOS window for doing file copies and stuff, just because they think it's cool - I was thinking along the lines of using the CLI when you don't have to.

Part of the reason you're still using a CLI for that stuff is exactly because some geek thinks it's not cool to write a GUI for it.

I write tools all the time for stuff to make my job easier. For example, one click and I can upload a file to FTP, copy the filename to the clipboard, send an "it's uploaded" IM, then copy the file to a backup location, then commit the source code to an SVN repository - and that's just using a script in a file manager program, not the normal source code I write.

10. Linux3

Linux3

God no!
    Shell prompt. As for productivity, anything I have to do more than once I write a shell script for.
    Oh, sorry, MS has not gotten into the world of advanced scripting languages and powerful shells yet.

Sorry, as you were.

11. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I use a few pre loaded scripts for Adtrans but for me they only go so far when each is configured on a per customer basis. I love when somebody already has a customer scripted and we have an equipment failure because it literally takes me only about 3 minutes to replace a downed unit.

I blow at Linux! So I :patriot: you sir! Although it does some great things for security I wish I knew how to do...:faint:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. Taykaim

Taykaim NRA Member

I dunno about a "dos box" although I certainly pop up a dos box in windows for some tasks.

However, when at work, all my serious tasks are done at the command line. Thats where the real meat of unix work lives.

13. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Go look up regular expressions and then tell us how that could be done via GUI?

:cool:

-Stooxie

14. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

At times, especially when using some MS Exchange tools and Active Directory stuff the ONLY way you can do it is via CLI, i.e. dcdiag, netdiag, gpupdate, and more.... in the case of copying files via command line I don't see any practical reason for doing it, however I can tell you that in file management sometimes you have to.. such as throwing certain switches to the delete command to force deletions of files that otherwise won't move.. like certain folders or file names that exceed Windows ability to read properly and just throw a vague error.

HK, if you're looking for GUI management of Cisco PIX and ASA series firewalls there's a program that Cisco has for them called ASDM... it's useful especially for monitoring the devices and doing certain configuration tasks that would otherwise be lengthy via CLI.

I don't know of any ASDM like utilities that can do this for Cisco switches.

15. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

If you're in the market for a good USB > RS-232 I would highly suggest the one made by Sockets... compatible with all OS's... very light drivers and sends CTRL breaks properly. I carry one with me everywhere with my MacBook Pro using Zterm, or if I happen to be on a windows box I just use HyperTerminal

16. Taykaim

Taykaim NRA Member

Got a link to the one you like? I could use a more reliable USB>serial device.

17. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

18. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

yeah i use it

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I can do spreadsheets! :)

I use CLI, but not in Windows. Linux CLI seems far more robust and advanced than Windows DOS.. but I freely admit it might be due to my lack of experience w/ DOS.

IGF

20. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Well they're 2 entirely different OS's...I would expect them to be.

Try Solaris or *BSD, that'll get your brain cogwheels a' turnin'